Author Topic: How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?  (Read 1647 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:00:35 AM »
Correct! Which is why this teenager has a 125 scoot not a crotch rocket.

TBR125, I've said it before, but you are a wise man for your age! If I'd had a motorcycle as a teen (or even 20 something) I would not be here today. Develop your skills on a low powered bike and live to ride another day.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 01:48:30 AM »
I appreciate the compliment.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
I appreciate the compliment.
In one thing I envy you TBR, when I was 16 and setting out on my riding life, there was nothing like this forum to sound out ideas. Just bike clubs, who looked down their noses at spotty oiks who knew nothing and only rode a “tiddler”.

Took me years to pal up with a knowledgeable guy (through work) who knows far more about bikes than I ever will.  These days, all that experience is freely available here on the forum! What a resource.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
It is incredible what info we have available from people all over the world. It also means I can't blame poor skill sets on lack of knowledge. 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »
In one thing I envy you TBR, when I was 16 and setting out on my riding life, there was nothing like this forum to sound out ideas. Just bike clubs, who looked down their noses at spotty oiks who knew nothing and only rode a “tiddler”.

Took me years to pal up with a knowledgeable guy (through work) who knows far more about bikes than I ever will.  These days, all that experience is freely available here on the forum! What a resource.

On the flipside, misinformation has also been given a new lease of life ;)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
On the flipside, misinformation has also been given a new lease of life ;)
So cynical, in one so young! ;)

“Sources choose you must wisely” as Yoda should’ve said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
...been given a new lease of life ;)

"Reading With Comprehension"*......sadly, has not, although it often gets lots of fertilization. So to speak...

*the great Karl Malden....1987

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
How to Increase Corner Ground Clearance?

little boy in the back of the room was heard to say, "Lay off the fries!"

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 12:05:49 AM »
I've been trying to lighten up a mite but haven't been to successful. 

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 08:14:22 AM »
I've been trying to lighten up a mite but haven't been to successful.
... and so say most of us!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. For any concerned, I'm not an aspiring road racer, just trying to ride my scoot as well as possible.
Save the scraping for "Track Days".
If you've scraped something anywhere else,  you've made a mistake.

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
Thanks Stig. I will try to remember that.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »
I love riding curvy roads so I run into the same problem.  The fact is that compared to the motorcycles I have owned, scooters just have less cornering clearance.  Also, unlike a motorcycle which often has peg feelers to warn you that you are approaching maximum lean angle, scooters don't have this feature.

I shift my weight to the inside and really watch my lines around the curves.  That and I slow down from the speeds I would be riding on one of my motorcycles. 

You could mount taller tires to increase cornering clearance but that is not always possible.  Both of my Kymcos had a metal tab that sticks down on the left side.  Its part of the sidestand mounting mechanism.  I took a grinder and ground away some of the metal to increase cornering clearance.  Removing the sidestand will help on some scooters but I like the sidestands too much to do that.  Take a look at what touches first on your scooter and see if anything can be done about it.

Some scooters have better clearance than others.  My Sport City 250 could really haul a$$ around curves and not scrape anything until I was way over.  I once chased down a Ducati 996 with my Sport City on a curvy road. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:24:31 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 06:46:45 AM »

Some scooters have better clearance than others.  My Sport City 250 could really haul a$$ around curves and not scrape anything until I was way over.  I once chased down a Ducati 996 with my Sport City on a curvy road.

Don’t you just love that?!  Just imagine the look on that rider’s face when he realises it’s a scooter on his tail. Fantastic.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
I love riding curvy roads so I run into the same problem.  The fact is that compared to the motorcycles I have owned, scooters just have less cornering clearance.  Also, unlike a motorcycle which often has peg feelers to warn you that you are approaching maximum lean angle, scooters don't have this feature.

I shift my weight to the inside and really watch my lines around the curves.  That and I slow down from the speeds I would be riding on one of my motorcycles. 

You could mount taller tires to increase cornering clearance but that is not always possible.  Both of my Kymcos had a metal tab that sticks down on the left side.  Its part of the sidestand mounting mechanism.  I took a grinder and ground away some of the metal to increase cornering clearance.  Removing the sidestand will help on some scooters but I like the sidestands too much to do that.  Take a look at what touches first on your scooter and see if anything can be done about it.

I also love my center stand to much for removal. I am more comfortable in right handers and the exhaust pipe limits that side. On the left the center-stand foot plate catches.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()