Author Topic: Seat modification  (Read 1688 times)

christianblessing

• View Profile
Seat modification
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:50:07 AM »
I made the trip to Agua Prieta, Sonora to visit a tapiceria (upholsterer) to rebuild my seat. Now I just wanna ride around all day.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

David E

• View Profile
Re: Seat modification
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 05:06:03 AM »
That came out nicely!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
Very nice!
Makes a huge difference for some of us.
I quit looking for "magic" rear shocks after rebuilding my LIKE's seat😊
Wish I could have kept all the wrinkles out - as they did on yours!
Yes, I  went from getting off every 20-30 mins - to completely forgetting about the seat when I ride now.
Well done, you!
Thanks for the pix!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
If it wasn’t for riding my scoot only 4 miles a day, I’d be doing the same thing as you gents have done. 

The quality looks amazing.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramblerdrver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:26:54 AM »
I made the trip to Agua Prieta, Sonora to visit a tapiceria (upholsterer) to rebuild my seat. Now I just wanna ride around all day.

Looks nice...and comfortable! How much thicker is the seat? How much taller is the seat now in relation to the road? Can you still get your feet  flat on the ground (or close to it)?  Do you know what kind of foam they used? Thanks

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »

Looks nice...and comfortable! How much thicker is the seat? How much taller is the seat now in relation to the road? Can you still get your feet  flat on the ground (or close to it)?  Do you know what kind of foam they used? Thanks
The previous owner had modified the seat for his much shorter wife and made a mess of it. I took a photo of my 1977 Vespa PX seat and told asked the upholsterer to use it as a model. So no "horn" at the front and no pillion. The foam is medium density and the hight essentially as original. I can easily plant my feet on the ground. The advantage is that I can position myself anywhere on the seat and still feel in control.

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
BTW - here's the LIKE seat pan (50 and 200i models)

Stock foam seat pad with cover removed.....

It's not pretty - but it is very comfy. Wider, thicker, kept the up-sloped front to prevent sliding forward in hard stops. Various types of foam used.

I used firm green rebond foam in the blue hatched areas  - under the soft skin of blue foam - all of it is glued over the original seat foam.
Then stretched Sailrite 4-Way Stretch vinyl cover over the foam - and used stainless staples.
It is NO longer possible to feel the ridge in the middle of the seat pan.

Probably wouldn't work too well for riders less than my 6'3" - I love it!

Stig
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:26:05 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 07:53:12 PM »
Nice. Looks comfy. Now I want to do this. Guess one could pick up a used seat and get that done so there's no pesky down time.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »
Nice. Looks comfy. Now I want to do this. Guess one could pick up a used seat and get that done so there's no pesky down time.
Yeah, I bought a used LIKE50 seat on ebay for $35. They are the same on all first generation likes - regardless of engines.
My like-new luxe "LX" seat is in a bag in the closet if I ever sell my scooter. (The LX seat has white piping.)
Figured if it didn't work - I was no worse off.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 01:38:54 AM »
Nice. I like his seat too.. I don't know the generations. I'll probably wait till I buy a spare like and then have it done. I only see them for 99 on ebay and not sure they fit mine. The blue and white I think is my favorite. Stunning bike..

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Nice. I like his seat too.. I don't know the generations. I'll probably wait till I buy a spare like and then have it done. I only see them for 99 on ebay and not sure they fit mine. The blue and white I think is my favorite. Stunning bike..
There are only 2 generations of the LIKE.
The new ABS, LED model (150i, and a 50cc), looks nothing like ours. And the 163cc (and a 50cc) which we have...and has been around, unchanged but for paint, for 10 yrs.
All these first gen seats can be swapped around.
Other countries got different two-tone colors for the LX. Blue/white was the only version in N America.
$100 MSRP price difference. (offset by free VISA  card from Kymco, and another from my dealer)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
Nice Stig!  I need to do this on my Like 150i, considering I have an extra seat for it now.  I get to about the one hour mark and I am ready to get off and walk around.  I am constantly sliding back and forth on the seat to get a little more comfortable.  Looks like I have a nice winter project. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()