Author Topic: New Yager Owner, Couple of Questions  (Read 7252 times)

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
New Yager Owner, Couple of Questions
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a Yager. Had it for a couple of weeks, loving every minute.

This morning I'm riding in to work, I throw on the left turn signal and it starts clicking very fast. When I come to a stop I see that the front left turn signal is no longer working. When I got to work I called the dealer and they said that they do not have any of the lights in stock. Is this signal a standard bulb, or is it specific to Kymco?

Along those lines, I think this would be easier to deal with if I had a service manual.

I have found the Dink Classic manuals online, but I know this isn't exactly the same. Obviously the EFI is not in the Classic manual. Does anyone have a copy for sale or someplace I could get one?

Thanks so much,
Looking forward to the ride,
Billy

Forest Grump

• View Profile
Re: New Yager Owner, Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
Has to be a standard DOT bulb. 

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:36:16 AM »
Good luck with a service manual. So far two Kymco dealers near my home did not know the Yager 200i uses an internal oil filter. I had to show them the Owner's Manual. Apparently the service manuals are unavailable as they could not locate one in their computer. The dealers I checked with so far do not stock many, if any Kymco parts. I had one of them order the oil filter for the future as it should be changed at 3K. I've had my Yager a week and about 200 miles. I'll change the oil, transmission, etc and two Kymco techs also said 200 miles is too soon to check the valves and suggested I bring it in with 4-500, even though the manual says the first check is 200.

So far I'm loving the Yager, does everything I need it to and my wife says its very comfortable for her.   
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:27:12 AM »
Apparently the service manuals are unavailable as they could not locate one in their computer.

If they're authorized Kymco dealers, they have access to the manual, and can order one for you for ~$15 U.S.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I changed my engine and transmission oil yesterday, at 202 miles. No problem but I would have liked to have changed the sealing washers. One dealer in my area said they never change them and don't stock them. I'm going to check with a larger Kymco dealer tomorrow, 80 miles away, for the manual, sealing washers,etc. I've been doing basic maintenance on my bikes for 46 years and always change them, even though you can probably get by a couple of times using the old ones if they are in decent shape. I use a torque wrench to tighten all the drain/fill bolts.

I will take Kimmy in at 4-500 for a valve adjustment if I can find a scooter shop I can trust. It looks like a pain to get to the valve cover and I don't like doing valves.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Good luck with the washers.  I don't think Kymco services them.  I had one dealer tell me as much, then I went to another who let me look through the parts diagrams with him.  We ordered the only items listed that could possibly have been the washers, only instead to get bearing seals.  As far as I can tell, Kymco can't provide them to you.  Let me know if you find out differently, and if so, what the part numbers are.  As of now, I'm probably going to buying a little kit of various aluminum washers from the parts store.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
Yagermeister and others,

Here is what I found out the other day while on my quest to find a good dealer to service my Yager, within 100 miles and visiting two "dealers."

One dealer on a list provided to me  by KymcoUSA has signed a contract withdrawing as a Kymco dealer and signed over all rights to another scooter shop in the Atlanta area. KymcoUSA: "Do you know who your dealers are?"

Visiting the other dealer I was heartened to see a Kymco sign in the front window. This dealer is also a Vespa dealer and the new scooters toward the front of the store were all Vespas. Kymco scooters were bunched up at the back of the showroom. I don't blame the shop for trying harder to sell the more expensive and popular Vespas. I asked if they could order a repair manual for the Yager/Dink 200i. The owner, a very nice guy checked his computer and called the rep and found out the manual is only online, even for dealer, and the only way I could get a copy was if he downloaded it for me.

As for sealing washers: the mechanic came out with two different sizes of generic washers. I bought them just for their effort although I doubt they will work at my next oil change. I did the 200 oil change myself and at 600 I will take my old ones to the auto parts stores and try to match them.

Valve adjustments: The mechanic told me its a pain to do that on a Yager (they had a couple new ones in stock on the floor) and he has to either remove or lower the engine to do them, and a cost of $85/hr
that would be a 4 hour job and approx. $340.  I am NOT kidding. He also said they probably never need to be adjusted and a valve adjustment on a Vespa 250i is not due until 12,000 miles. I checked the maintenance schedule and his was right about that.

So, if anyone knows how to order an actual service manual for this bike, please send me the info at rvbikerel@yahoo.com. I have spent long hours on the computer trying to find one and also discovered the Yager is the Frost 200i in Canada, and the Dink 200i overseas. I would be grateful. We like the Yager and from what I've heard and read, it is a quality scooter, that should be fine. Two dealers also said Kymco is crazy about their service intervals as stated in the owner's manual. They said there is no reason to check valves so frequently: 200, 1800, and every 2400 thereafter. Two Kymco dealers said if the scooter is running fine, leave them alone.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe this info will help some people.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
Hi, Yager E, I feel for ya. It's tough when you don't have what you need. After a long time searching the net this is the only thing I could find that may be an actual manual for the Dink. It may not. I found a few that said they were and turned out they weren't and found almost nothing for the Yager. Anyway, I thought I'd post it. Hope it helps or inspires someone better at searching than me to locate something for ya. Good luck.

http://netfree1.blogspot.com/2009/04/kymco-dink-200-service-manual.html

It says:

>>>Kymco Dink 200 2005 Service Manual. This manual is intended as a handy, easy to read reference book for the mechanic. Kymco Service Manual Comprehensive explanations of all installation, removal, disassembly, assembly, repair and inspection procedures are laid out with the individual steps in sequential order.<<<

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
Rianna,

My guess is that the manual you have is for the Dink Classic which does not have fuel injection. It is probably good for 90% of the work on a Yager, but maybe not for all of it. That once can be found in a couple of places.

That is interesting to hear about the difficulty in getting parts and valve adjustments.

My worry is, even though the mechanics feel that it is not really necessary to adjust the valves on that schedule, if you don't follow it, doesn't it void your warranty with Kymco?

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
Yager E, I am in the Metro ATL also, and so far most of the Kymco "dealers" are absolute jokes.  Kymco itself seems to be a good company, but nobody around here seems to care much about their products.  The dealer I bought from claims to "know nothing" about the bikes, the parts, how to get them, or anything about servicing them, and all they sell are scooters.  Great, way to go "professionals".  Nothing like selling a bike to a guy, then saying since it's not a Vespa it's basically not worth your time to know anything about it.  And they have (had?) three locations!  The other Kymco dealers around town have Kymco as a "tack on" to another major Japanese brand which they primarily sell (and mostly they sell motorcycles, not scooters) and also know almost nothing.  The guys at Northeast Georgia Motorsports in Hoschton, GA. were at least kind enough to let me pick through the electronic diagrams and catalog with them (I order parts for cars all day so I'm used to the task), and were as helpful as they could be.  At least they didn't just say "I don't know anything about them Kymcos!" like everyone else.

JPrestonian, I believe you when you say the manual is available, the problem is either A) the dealers don't give a @#$! or B) they're too poorly trained or incompetent to be able to order it.  What is your stance on the sealing washers?  I couldn't find any in the parts diagrams.

If Kymco wants to grow into a major brand here like Yamaha, Honda or Vespa, they need better support and training for their dealers, and to flush those that can't or won't figure it out.  I have a Yamaha Morphous, which is a very rare and unusual scooter, but I can walk into any Yamaha dealer and get parts and service for it, no problem. 

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
YagerMeister,

You have come to many of the same conclusions as I. Coincidentally, I ordered some parts from NE Georgia Motorsports in Hoschton, GA, last week and picked them up this morning. Basically, I ordered an oil filter and a couple of O-rings, more a test of getting parts for my next oil change. I did the 200 mile oil service myself, using the old crush washers. No big deal, I've been doing the basic fluid services on my bikes for a long time.  The guys there are great even though their main product is Kawasaki. They are a Kymco dealer and said they would check the valves, but best to bring it in at 600-1000 miles, not 200 as in the owners manual.

I also visited Re-cycle Scooters in Athens. The manager was great! He gave me a tour of the shop, introduced me to the two techs and you could tell he and the techs were real "scooter people." They could, and have gotten basket cases and made them into driveable scooters. They also are a Kymco dealer, and attend the scooter rallies in the SE. They recommended scooternet.com for fun scooter rallies and things to do.   

Playing with the computer last night I came across Kymcoparts123.com and ordered some crush washers, and an extra drain plug. I got the part numbers from their website for a Grandvista 250 which looked similar to our engine. Once I get the parts, if they are the correct ones, I'll post the part numbers. Until the parts houses and dealers have parts fiches with the Yager/Frost/Dink 200i listed in the system, its kind of a crapshoot if parts from other engines will work. Maybe Haynes or Clymer will step up and put out a manual specifically for our model.

All the sales and service people I spoke with said the Kymco is a good product.
Have fun and ride safe.       

Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

YagerMeister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »
...Sounds like I'll be visiting Athens for my service needs if they arise outside of oil changes.  I'm not letting the guy who doesn't know anything about Kymcos touch mine.  I know a scooter is a scooter to an extent, but I don't want mine to be the "guinea pig" figuring out how to work on it.  I'd do it myself if I wanted that.  Yes, the guys at NE Ga. Motorsports were very friendly and I got my parts quick. 

Let me know if the Grandvista washers work out.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
JPrestonian, I believe you when you say the manual is available, the problem is either A) the dealers don't give a @#$! or B) they're too poorly trained or incompetent to be able to order it.  What is your stance on the sealing washers?  I couldn't find any in the parts diagrams.

I'm not familiar with the part, having never seen a Yager, either whole or in any stage of disassembly. If I had a photo, maybe I could find it on the parts diagram.

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
After many hours of computer searching I ordered some sealing washers, transmission fill and drain bolts, a new oil drain bolt and washer from www.Kymcoparts123.com which is a multi-line dealership in Athens, OH.

I haven't taken the old parts out to compare side by side, but these seem to be the right ones by comparing them as best as I could externally. I'll be 100% sure in about another 600 miles when I do another oil change. So right now, I'm 95% sure these are the correct parts. The part numbers may help, especially if you can find a parts fiche at a dealership specifically for the Dink/Yager:

Part                                       Part number                  Price

Engine Oil Drain Bolt                      9052A-GFY6-950                        $6.27
Trans drain/fill washers 8mm           90474-3C33-001                          2.24 ea
Trans drain/fill bolts (just in case)    95701-08012-08                          1.18 ea

The downside to ordering as I did, shipping was $13.99. I thought it strange that the 8 mm crush washers were almost twice as much as the bolts they go on. I'll be taking the new washers to the auto parts store and try to match them. I'm sure they will be less expensive if they have them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:50:05 PM by Yager E »
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Support our Troops!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()