Author Topic: KYMCO Extended Warranty  (Read 4746 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
KYMCO Extended Warranty
« on: July 13, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
This post is intended to provide information/help for anyone with an extended warranty or considering one. Back in March, I purchased a "leftover" 2018 UXV 450i from my local dealer, and KYMCO was running an extended warranty promotion. I received a 36-month extended warranty at no cost as part of my purchase. At the time, I was under the impression this warranty would be 36 months ON TOP OF the 12-month manufacturer warranty that KYMCO provides. I was also told by my dealer, and subsequently by a representative at KYMCO headquarters, that I would receive information regarding my extended warranty in the mail in approximately 60 days.

Well, fast-forward to today, and I have still not received anything regarding my extended warranty. Now, if you were in my shoes, would you wonder whether you actually had an extended warranty, or what it covers? Thankfully, do to assistance from my dealer, they were able to confirm that I do indeed have an extended warranty through KYMCO's third-party vendor (Cornerstone). They found this by logging into the dealer portal and looking up my machine. There is even a certificate of warranty registration in the system, which they were kind enough to print out, scan and send to me for my records. So, at least I know that the extended warranty WAS issued.

HOWEVER, the warranty certificate clearly states that my 36-month extended warranty ends in March 2022, rather than March 2023. The certificate also says that the extended warranty period includes any manufacturer warranty period, which makes no sense to me, but would explain the March 2022 end date. Bottom line, my 36-month "extended" warranty is actually a 24-month extended warranty, because it only "extends" the KYMCO manufacturer warranty by 24 months. I have no idea what good the aftermarket warranty would do me should I have any problems with the machine during the initial 12 months when KYMCO's factory warranty is in place.

And, again, I still have not received an actual warranty policy. So, I really can't tell you what the extended warranty covers. However, there is a policy number and a contact number for Cornerstone on the certificate my dealer provided me. So, I am going to try to call Cornerstone next week and see if they can provide me with a copy of my warranty coverage. Would be nice, after all, to know what is under warranty, wouldn't it?

I want to say that I honestly do not think my dealer understood all the details of the warranty promotion either. I am not upset with them in any way about not realizing it would only offer an additional two years of coverage vs. three. In fact, the dealer is the only place that has actually been of any help in my effort to figure out what is going on with this. Two emails and a phone call to KYMCO USA have yielded crickets.

I thought it was important to share this information, just so future KYMCO buyers are aware that if you purchase an extended warranty or receive one as part of a sales promotion, you are likely getting a year less of coverage than it seems on the surface. And, you may have a hard time to figuring out exactly what kind of warranty you are getting. Personally, I wanted to buy the machine anyway. I got a great price on a prior model year unit, and I have been very satisfied with the machine thus far -- no problems. I have also been satisfied with my dealer, and I am confident they will be helpful to me should I need to use this extended warranty at some point in the future. And, having coverage until March 2022 is still better than having it until March 2020. Hopefully, I never need it anyhow.

Hopefully this is helpful to folks. If there is anyone out there who has had a similar experience with KYMCO extended warranties, or someone who has actually had to use the extended warranty to get covered service on their machine, I would love to hear about your experience. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:29:42 PM by pa-outdoorsman »
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: KYMCO Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »
Thank you kindly for this information. I think it provides an opportunity for me to gripe about Kymco US in general! Har, har! Seriously, Kymco US has seemed to distance itself from both dealers and customers by retaining an ANSWERING SERVICE on their 800 line. Used to get a really nice lady called Linda, I think, who could put you on the person you needed. This extended warranty "overlapping" the manufacturers warranty (which I thought was two years) is nutz and not at all what the name implies. This bit of tom foolery plus not importing certain models to the US may have something to do with the glacier-pace of sales.

There. That was the nice version of what I really wanted to say about these guys! Har, har! Thanks again!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »
Does any other manufacturer even come close to a 3 year warranty?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:03:02 PM »
Probably not! Well, Kawasaki Mule has a standard three year warranty and, AND I been told the dealer MUST call Kawasaki with the trouble details and Kawa direct trouble shooting and decide what action/parts to be used! Local guy got a new engine because they could not correct fuel dilution of lube oil. Local guy real happy! No longer with problem. Why am I writing like bad actor in 1950 indian-cowboy movie?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
Crossbolt, the manufacturer warranty on KYMCO machines varies. I believe the on-road vehicles may get a 2-year factory warranty, but the off-road vehicles get a 1-year. Don't hold me to that, but I do know it varies by model.

I concur with your general assessment of KYMCO USA, though I suspect it is more a factor of lack of resources and/or ineptitude than any actual malice. As I said to my local dealer the other day when I was talking to him about the warranty issue, "If KYMCO had a marketing program anything close to what Kawasaki or Yamaha does, they would sell the daylights out these machines!" He did not disagree with me.

Unfortunately, it is pretty obvious that KYMCO USA does not have even CLOSE to the resources required to compete with the "big boys" when it comes to a serious, national sales and marketing effort. Then again, perhaps that's one of the advantages for consumers such as us, who benefit in the form of lower purchase prices and bonuses such as extended warranties -- even if they aren't actually as long as we thought. :-( Clearly, KYMCO doesn't have the resources more established consumer brands do, but they also probably have a lot less overhead.

My feeling is that so long as KYMCO in Taiwan is strong (no reason to think it's not, given the worldwide volume of on- and off-road machines they produce annually), we as owners will be OK in terms of service and parts availability, even though dealing with the subsidiaries that handle distribution in each country may be a bit of a pain in the ass.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
Crossbolt, the manufacturer warranty on KYMCO machines varies. I believe the on-road vehicles may get a 2-year factory warranty, but the off-road vehicles get a 1-year. Don't hold me to that, but I do know it varies by model.

I concur with your general assessment of KYMCO USA, though I suspect it is more a factor of lack of resources and/or ineptitude than any actual malice. As I said to my local dealer the other day when I was talking to him about the warranty issue, "If KYMCO had a marketing program anything close to what Kawasaki or Yamaha does, they would sell the daylights out these machines!" He did not disagree with me.

Unfortunately, it is pretty obvious that KYMCO USA does not have even CLOSE to the resources required to compete with the "big boys" when it comes to a serious, national sales and marketing effort. Then again, perhaps that's one of the advantages for consumers such as us, who benefit in the form of lower purchase prices and bonuses such as extended warranties -- even if they aren't actually as long as we thought. :-( Clearly, KYMCO doesn't have the resources more established consumer brands do, but they also probably have a lot less overhead.

My feeling is that so long as KYMCO in Taiwan is strong (no reason to think it's not, given the worldwide volume of on- and off-road machines they produce annually), we as owners will be OK in terms of service and parts availability, even though dealing with the subsidiaries that handle distribution in each country may be a bit of a pain in the ass.

You make terrific sense and I agree! Kymco USA has no malice but suffers from NIH: Not Invented Here. Or, conversely, good ideas originating elsewhere have no merit. Take the dealer stoking policy for example. Each dealer has to actually BUY each machine he thinks he can sell (this gathered by prying information out of very reluctant folks). That is what the 100000 dollar line of credit is for. The bright idea is to floor plan dealers like the car guys so WE have some stuff to drool over. And, yeah, import some of the ones we actually drool over. There are probably all kinds of ideas floating in the paid elves at Kymco USA but given the oriental leadership dealing with a bunch of yankees I can see a big problem of NIH right within the organization. No malice but incompetence fueled by ego.

Honda and Yamaha were existing prior to WWII and blossomed afterwards through superior management. As two-wheel entrepreneurs they and others were minor annoyances for a while and became the innovaters very quickly while our lazy and largely inept single motorcycle builder slept. This is true of the auto builders and others. I have some ideas and you do, too, But no one wants to even listen, certainly not our importer.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »
Warranty on all 4 wheel product is 1 year. It is your dealers fault for not knowing the program. The extended warranties, for example when they say "Free 3 year warranty" means 1 year factory plus 2 years extended totaling 3. It's clearly written in the dealer information. It is also standard practice with many other manufactures and a good salesperson or F&I person will break it down for you.

The comment" Each dealer has to actually BUY each machine he thinks he can sell (this gathered by prying information out of very reluctant folks). That is what the 100000 dollar line of credit is for. The bright idea is to floor plan dealers like the car guys so WE have some stuff to drool over." Every dealer, no matter what the brand has flooring lines for the units they purchase. The units belong to the dealer and financed by the flooring company. Kymco, and other brands, offer flooring terms that dealer can take advantage of and stock more product. A 100K flooring line is nothing compared to other manufacturers. Having a 100k line doesn't mean you have 100K on the books at all times.

I hear Kymco is always looking for good people, maybe some of you should apply and see what you can do to improve the business

CJS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
Souza, apply? They won't even answer the phone! They don't think, by their actions, they need any help! I'm retired! I wanna sit on the porch and criticize! Har, har! Seriously, I would LOVE to have some input to glorify such a great brand. So much potential, so many warts....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »
Hey guys, guess what? I sent an email to Cornerstone (the company that administers the KYMCO extended warranty program) asking for a copy of my actual warranty policy, and they sent one!

I have attached a copy of the warranty to this message. Figured it's a good resource for others. It's not exactly pleasure reading, and after going through it, I found myself thinking there are enough exclusions in there for them to avoid darn near every mechanical failure you can imagine...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
I'm not going to download it....those things give me a head ache.
Frankly I can't imagine warrantying something that gets bashed around, run through creeks, over bears, under waterfalls, climbs rocks and pushes and pulls trees, cars, stuck trucks & stumps. About all mine would say is, "you kill yourself acting a fool with this, don't come blaming us!"
Not saying you do.
But, people do buy these things. And then they go a little nutty.... Seems like they'd need to be so reinforced that they'd weight a ton and couldn't move out of their own shadow with anything less than 1,000cc's.
How the deuce do you warranty that?

anyway, glad you tracked down the responsible folks.
city boy Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:57 PM »
I'm not going to download it....those things give me a head ache.
Frankly I can't imagine warrantying something that gets bashed around, run through creeks, over bears, under waterfalls, climbs rocks and pushes and pulls trees, cars, stuck trucks & stumps. About all mine would say is, "you kill yourself acting a fool with this, don't come blaming us!"
Not saying you do.
But, people do buy these things. And then they go a little nutty.... Seems like they'd need to be so reinforced that they'd weight a ton and couldn't move out of their own shadow with anything less than 1,000cc's.
How the deuce do you warranty that?

anyway, glad you tracked down the responsible folks.
city boy Stig

Stig, if you read the language, it's obviously a boilerplate agreement that covers the on-road and off-road machines, as it references things such as coverage for rental vehicles if you lose your transportation and if you use your vehicle for commercial use such as a delivery route. Also, if you use your vehicle for competitive racing in any way, your warranty is void. But anyway, if you ever get insomnia, give this thing a read. You really would be hard pressed to look it over and figure out just exactly they WOULD be willing to cover if and when something fails...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the mail yesterday and -- miracle of miracles -- I had a letter from KYMCO Extended Protection with my confirmation of my extended warranty and even some nice little ID cards with my policy information, customer service phone number, etc.

Now, I don't know if this showed up because I reached out to Cornerstone (the company that manages the extended warranty program) last week for my policy or if they just finally got around it to after I purchased the machine (on March 16). If the latter, that means fellow owners who buy when there is an extended warranty promotion in place should expect to wait roughly 120+ days from the date of purchase to receive extended warranty confirmation.

I think that closes this whole process. Now, as I said before, let's just hope I never need to use it...
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 03:11:00 AM »
Say you get a new chevy with a 3yr 36k mi factory warranty from the dealer on day 1 when car is new. On same day you buy a 5yr extended warranty when car is new. Your only actually getting 2 extended years of warranty if you read the extended warranty details because it's from date of purchase. You need to buy the extended warranty near when the factory warranty ends. Most folks get oakey doked by this. Only buy a factory extended warranty ever. That means the company who builds the vehicle has their name on the warranty and they own it and stand behind it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 03:30:43 AM »
In my opinion - if you're buying an extended warranty. ...you've purchased the wrong vehicle.
I buy when I have reason to be confident in a manufacturer.
A free extended warranty is nice.
I understand my warranty by reading it.
Salespeople selling many brands are rarely the best source of info.
OK, it took one scooter purchase to discover that.
There is so much information available to a buyer, when purchasing scooter #4, all I needed from my salesperson was directions to the rest room, and a pen.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:36:39 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 10:16:23 PM »
Stig, I agree with you. I would not have paid $600 for the extended warranty, but for free, I'll take it!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()