Author Topic: MyRoad 700i stalling issue  (Read 7602 times)

MJR

• View Profile
MyRoad 700i stalling issue
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
So I've got a stalling problem with the MyRoad 700i. Last week (5,322 miles) I was riding and when I came up to a stop light the engine died (electrical all still on). The bike restarted and I got home.

Today I was ready to ride up to LA but needed to hit the bank and gas station first. Before I made it to either as I was riding I lost all throttle response, the bike started loosing speed, I looked down to see the engine at 1,000 rpm, coasted into a parking lot (5,326 miles) and the engine died (still had electrical on). The bike restarted so I figured it I make it to the bank and gas station I'll see it I can make it to LA. I made it to the bank and gas station so I jumped on the freeway headed north but while riding at about 75 mph in the carpool lane the engine died again (5,335 miles) so I put my turn signal on and drifted all the way to the right side of the road. Once stopped I tried to restart it but it just cranked without trying to start. I did this a few times while playing with the switches, no change. Next I cranked it over while opening the throttle a little, it started once and died again. A few more tries lightly feathering the throttle and she started again. I got off the freeway and returned home on surface streets without further issue.

One other odd thing I noticed this morning (bike off) was the trunk LED light was randomly flickering. Tapping on the light or playing with the seat latch which has the switch in it made no difference. I just figured the LED was going south in it with the on/off and dim/bright thing going on.

Ok so there is another MyRoad 700i owner in Escondido I know and several weeks ago his engine kept dying on him also though his would die after 6 minutes of starting it and would not restart for nearly an hour then die after a few minutes again. His bike is still at the dealer where they ordered a stator for it (I'm assuming the crank sensor is part of it like my B650). They have not torn down the bike yet so my guess is maybe they have a scan tool and might see the stator or crank sensor dropping out? Another odd thing when I was talking to him I mentioned seeing my trunk light flickering and he said his was doing the same thing, weird.

In all the world has anyone had the same problem and what fixed it?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: MyRoad 700i stalling issue
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
Could this be another vent valve problem? You know me, MJ, I get one solution and that's it! At least I'm not hollering "INITIALIZE!"

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:30 AM »
Not sure how that would be an issue, fuel injected and in California the fuel tank vents to a carbon cannister to store the fuel vapors then vents to the air. When the bike first stalled on me I was already thinking about Bud's bike in Escondido and the problem he is having with his. I was thinking they started making the MyRoad in 2008, you'd think they would have the bugs worked out. Seems likely a common problem except finding other forums in countries take have had them longer seems to be an issue. Are there any forums for scooters in Taiwan I could run through a translator?
'14 White MyRoad 700i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:16 AM »
Oh, believe me, it is a BIG deal! It was the cause of wife's Genuine Buddy 150 "Stall of Shame" and my DT300i "wonky idle" that drove me nuts! Venting the gas cap solved both and that was on the forums. Now, there have been voltage issues that have caused poor/low idle and engine failure that were regulator/rectifier and stator issues. Just that the vent is easier to find/eliminate first.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »
I have seen a loose grounding connection and a loose battery post terminal cause some pretty weird stuff.
A failing battery also comes to mind - with these EFI/ECU scoots.

Are you still under the 2 yr warranty?

One of the issues was aggravated by the vibrations of an engine, or over the road vibes - the other was acting weird with the engine off, but key on AND sometimes with key off!

Hope you get it sorted MJR without a lot of hassle.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Checked the charging system, 14 volts at 5,000 rpm, battery connections are good. I'm gonna send an email off to the rep on Monday and see what he has to say.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
A week in and still no reply from Chip at Kymco USA. Took the scoot out today and the engine stalled once again on the way home. Forwarded my e-mail to Steven at Kymco USA now to see whats up. Called the dealer in San Diego to ask about what was causing the other guys problem. They said the pickup in the stator was causing his to not have spark. While mine takes a little bit of playing with it will restart at this point where his was just dead for an hour. Hmm I may have some other issue.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »
Shortly after emailing Steven I got a reply from both of them. Asked me to check the spark plug wires. I was out riding it today and the first trip out was good so I decided to head up the freeway and the engine stalled out on me in the carpool lane. I coasted to the left side emergency lane. The bike wouldn't restart just cranked over. The check engine light flashed out 2-4-2-4. I pulled the maintenance cover and tried to pull a plug wire off but it was too hot and on tight. After sitting a bit I tried again and the bike started so I promptly got off the freeway. Shortly afterward on surface streets the engine stalled again and wouldn't start for a while. Got it started again and headed toward home. It stalled again and the check engine light flashed out 2-2-2-2. I pulled a plug wire and everything looked fine. No change in starting after popping the gas cap open. After sitting a bit I managed to get it started again and made it home. I looked through the service manual to find the code it was flashing over the check engine light is likely 02 or P0335 for the crank position sensor which is pretty much what I suspected. I guess I should pull the body work off again and double check the wires just to eliminate them as a possible cause.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:06:43 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
ummmm MJ,
Crossbolts Karl and the other members of your therapy team would suggest that you quit coasting around on SoCal freeways with a scoot that is repeatedly stalling  on you! I haven't been on a SoCal freeway in a long time - but I do not remember them as being places where it's good sport to reach down and turn the key off - repeatedly!
Test ride the thing in your church lot....for Pete's sake :)!

Just sayin'
Stig
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:28:16 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
ummmm MJ,
Crossbolts Karl and the other members of your therapy team would suggest that you quit coasting around on SoCal freeways with a scoot that is repeatedly stalling  on you! Test ride the thing in your church lot....for Pete's sake :)!

Figured I'd take it out and see if the problem got worse and least then it would be easier to track down. I'm pretty certain it's the crank sensor (tripping a code for it) or wiring and I am certain that's the same problem on the other one down south of me too. I'm gonna pull the body work off and visually check over the wiring to/from the crank sensor (called a cam sensor in the parts catalog since they use two of the same part number 37292-LBF2-900, one for the cam in the cylinder head, and the other in the right engine cover for the crank). Besides I need to track down where my rear foot peg release cable is binding since I last had some of the bodywork off.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
I have much faith in your diagnostic skills MJ, but you're really stressing your Angels running these tests out there on the super-slab!
:-)
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
For certain it was interesting stopped in the left hand emergency lane on the freeway with cars whizzing by.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »
The problem with the truck light LED flickering is of course the LED itself. I connected a voltmeter across the connector and voltage stays the same. I also connected another 12 volt LED panel I had across it and no flickering. Two MyRoad bikes (mine and the guy in Escondido) and two trunk light LED failures, quality!

I pulled the bike out of the garage and let it run on the centerstand. Yes after warm and a while running the engine stalls. It won't restart for a little while and verified I have no spark when it won't start. Wiring has a few minor issues but not related to my issue just future potential problems maybe. Well I tried several things and nothing seemed to make a difference until I decided to try an old Jeep trick. I pulled the crank sensor out to have a look, appeared ok but while had it out I put it in a cup of cold water for seconds, wiped it dry, and put it back in. The bike would restart immediately after doing this. If I left it in it took much longer before the bike would start again. I guess my suspicion of the crank sensor was right on and agrees with a crank sensor code.

Now I just have to get Kymco USA to replace the parts.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
Good work, MJ.

Was wondering - where are you in the warranty period for electrical parts on your 700? (which for my LIKE200I  was 540 days *)
Or, is it a part of emission control system warranty? - which for 280cc and larger is 5 yrs, or 30,000 kilometers, 18,641 miles?

Stig
*everything - 365 days
Engine & electrical - 540 days
Engine - 730 days
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:21:05 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
Good work, MJ.

Was wondering - where are you in the warranty period for electrical parts on your 700? (which for my LIKE200I  was 540 days *)
Or, is it a part of emission control system warranty? - which for 280cc and larger is 5 yrs, or 30,000 kilometers, 18,641 miles?

Stig
*everything - 365 days
Engine & electrical - 540 days
Engine - 730 days

Yes it turns out I am covered 100% but likely to be without the bike for 2-3 weeks again while they repair it.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()