Author Topic: 2016 K-Pipe 125 Owner  (Read 31102 times)

vwgti303

• View Profile
Re: 2016 K-Pipe 125 Owner
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 07:03:57 PM »
I want to do the same with the turn signals. Why did you have to order new lenses? is there no way to insert bulbs into the clear lenses on the body panels? Only asking because I haven't taken my bike apart yet.

Correct, there's no easy way to mount the bulbs in the original lenses, it's just a flat piece of silver plastic back there. I thought maybe I could use the mount in the stalks, but that would require lots of plastic and dremel workmanship that I didn't want to bother with. Tip, if you decide to do it, run the wires from the side signals UP to the wires behind the headlight, don't try to pull them down. They're may be some soldering/splicing involved, but much less of a hassle.
2016 Yamaha XSR900
2016 Kymco K-Pipe

lilzip24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »
Correct, there's no easy way to mount the bulbs in the original lenses, it's just a flat piece of silver plastic back there. I thought maybe I could use the mount in the stalks, but that would require lots of plastic and dremel workmanship that I didn't want to bother with. Tip, if you decide to do it, run the wires from the side signals UP to the wires behind the headlight, don't try to pull them down. They're may be some soldering/splicing involved, but much less of a hassle.
Thanks for the tip! Where did you find the new lenses at?
2016 Kymco K-Pipe 125
2014 Suzuki DL1000A VStrom
2007 Suzuki VL800C C50

vwgti303

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Where did you find the new lenses at?

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/tail-light-rear-indicator-p-193662-1.html?backcPathco=219&cPath=2_51895

Hopefully that works for you.

The parts are MB5403 and MB5404......kinda pricey though....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:29:44 PM by vwgti303 »
2016 Yamaha XSR900
2016 Kymco K-Pipe

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
Has anyone found a website where parts will be avail in the U.S? Also,do you guys use the side lights on the K Pipe? Mine don't even light up..not sure if they're meant to be used or not

lilzip24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »
Has anyone found a website where parts will be avail in the U.S? Also,do you guys use the side lights on the K Pipe? Mine don't even light up..not sure if they're meant to be used or not
Still waiting for someone to make some stuff. I posted a company on the first page of this thread that is supposedly working on parts right now, so I'm keeping an eye out. Discussed a couple of posts above this one we were talking about the side lights. They are just clear lenses if you have a US model. You have to order a different set of lenses (also posted above) to install lights into them.
2016 Kymco K-Pipe 125
2014 Suzuki DL1000A VStrom
2007 Suzuki VL800C C50

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
Ohh, I thought you were speaking of different lights (that's what i get for skimming through) -.- I will probably end up taking it off. I'm hoping that parts site will also sell fenders, as I have a crack in mine...tried teaching my friend how to ride a bike figured these things would be the easiest to learn on rather than my 500lb cruiser :P

vwgti303

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
Ohh, I thought you were speaking of different lights (that's what i get for skimming through) -.- I will probably end up taking it off. I'm hoping that parts site will also sell fenders, as I have a crack in mine...tried teaching my friend how to ride a bike figured these things would be the easiest to learn on rather than my 500lb cruiser :P

Zach, that link I posted above should sell whatever part you have broken as well.
2016 Yamaha XSR900
2016 Kymco K-Pipe

harrisontuttle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »
I have a 2016 K-Pipe 125. I bought the delkevic carbon fiber muffler and put it on with the baffle removed and it sounds amazing. I also added a windshield and some hand guards. I'm puttin some dual sport tires on this week. The only other thing I want to do but can find absoluteley nothing on is a big bore kit. Email me if you want pics or specifics of the thigs I bought.

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
I'm new to the forum (second post!) but I wanted to share what I've learned and what I've done to my K-Pipe.

The first thing I did when I got it home was remove all the EPA mandated crapola.  While this didn't lighten the bike up all that much or improve it's performance it definitely greatly simplified it and improved it's appearance.  The engine and fuel tank now breath to the atmosphere.

During the break-in process I studied the bike and it's carburetor.  Unfortunately it's another EPA mandated goodie that doesn't allow you to adjust the mixture screw or the carb needle.  After discovering this I installed a Mikuni ($40 from eBay) that I've run on my other horizontal motor bikes removing the extremely restrictive air box in the process.  It now breaths through a K & N although I may end up running a foam element on it.  I also matched the intake manifold to the new carb which required a tiny bit of aluminum to be removed, maybe ten minutes' work.  The jetting is still a work in progress but it's close.  Going with this carb eliminated the cable operated choke.

I saw the Delkevic mufflers on eBay but didn't want to drop that much money especially if I found I couldn't live with the noise.  As a cheap alternative I bought a pit bike muffler ($20 delivered!), shimmed it with a piece of thin wall aluminum pipe and installed it using a home made aluminum bracket.  I rode it around the block and found it screamed "LOOK AT ME!!!" so it came back off.  As I plan to ride the bike long distances I just don't think I can live with the noise.

As mentioned on my other post in another thread I recently installed the heel/toe shifter that originally came on the bike, doing away with the linkage.  It now shifts backwards from every other new bike in American other than those set up for road racing.  That's a big adjustment for me especially when riding my other bikes but it shifts so much better the linkage isn't going back on.  Maybe KYMCO reversed the pattern on the 2017 K-Pipes with a different shift drum but so far no one seems to know.  If anyone does please let me know.

I hate  the phony blinkers in the tank covers and thought about ordering up OEM units for the non-U. S. models to replace them until I saw the price.  Right now the whole cover/phony light assemblies are off the bike and other than the wiring hanging down really doesn't look all that bad.  I'm not sure what I'll do to replace them if I leave them off but the bike is a lot narrower without them.

The stock handlebars were terrible to me with way, way too much sweep back.  I ended up swapping them to a set of generic Honda TRX-450 ATV bars that are a lot more comfortable.

The seat is terrible to my tender bum, too and for now an Airhawk pillon pad is strapped on it.  Eventually the seat will make it's way to Sargent for a redo.

Overall I really like the bike.  The hybrid manual/automatic clutch setup is wonderful and after several years of riding hot rod step throughs with kickstart motors having an electric starter is like dying and going to heaven.  It's a lot heavier than my step thorughs--around 238 lbs. wet as it is right now--but there again it has mag wheels, wider tires and a disc brake, something they also lack.

The blinkers are terrible.  When you go to change a bulb you'll see what I mean.  I bought a set of Honda XR-L replica blinkers which while bigger and ugly are stone reliable and will accept auto parts store bulbs unlike the expensive and hard to find bulbs that came in the stockers.

One other thing I learned was that this bike uses a DC powered CDI unlike most of the other horizontal motors that use AC powered units.  I experimented with several DC units I found on eBay without any noticeable improvement.  Keep this in mind if you go to hot rod the bike and get tempted to try one of the many units available for the pit bike market.

I'm really glad to have found someplace where I can share information about these bikes.  They're not selling all that well around here and I've never seen another one yet.

Oh yeah--I have a link to a shop manual, too.  Holler if you'd like to have one for yourself.

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
One other thing I did was eliminate the vacuum operated petcock and installed a manual unit from eBay that cost all of $3.00.  This was more of a reliability thing as I've had problems with them on other bikes.

That's the nice thing about these little motors.  Parts and accessories are dirt cheap!!!

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
I lied--I don't have a link to the K-Pipe shop manual but I do have it in .pdf form.  PM me and I can forward it to you.

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:34 AM »
C'mon, am I the only K-Pipe owner in America???  Talk to me!!

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »
C'mon, am I the only K-Pipe owner in America???

Could be, I think I'm one of only 3 who own a MyRoad 700i and I'm ok with that exclusivity. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:09:46 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

woodsrat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:47 AM »
Could be, I think I'm one of only 3 who own a MyRoad 700i and I'm ok with that exclusivity. :)

A cool thing to own a rare bike, indeed.

I didn't buy my K-Pipe to be exclusive, though.  It's the only full size horizontal motor'ed bike of it's kind in America today.  I've been rolling together bikes from step throughs using Lifan motors and while they've been a hoot they lack things like blinkers and e-start.

It would be nice if the K-Pipe sold as well as the Grom or the Kawasaki KLR-650 so there'd be more feedback and aftermarket parts.

Speaking of the Grom I tried one but the small wheels and complexity of the F. I. system scared me into selling it.  Despite working on bikes for 46 years I just can't get my head around F. I.  It did run perfectly, though.  Score one for Honda.

Update on the blinker situation--I ended up making a set of mounts out of flat aluminum for the rear and installed a set of blinkers normally used on the bodywork of sport bikes.  I needed to move the blinkers back to clear my soft saddlebags.  Next to be fabricated are a set of saddlebag supports.

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
I saw one in San Antonio last week at the motorcycle shop it's way bigger than the grim I'm 6 5 260 and I would ride it  I think your gonna have a lot of fun on that bike
2009 kymco people 250s

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()