Author Topic: Another Excessive Smoking Thread - Oil Pump Seal Cause? How to Replace?  (Read 3424 times)

sfscooter

• View Profile
People 50. Bought used, owner said it was sitting for 8+ months. Lots of smoke when engine is running. How to fix?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:39:16 PM by sfscooter »

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
You may have oil in the exhaust.  I have 4 Kymco 49cc 2T scoots, and 2 of them had oil in the exhaust after sitting for a long time.  Take off the exhaust, and pour out the oil, be careful, will be a mess.  Put back together, ride scooter, will be a mosquito fogger until all the oil burns out.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

sfscooter

• View Profile
You may have oil in the exhaust.  I have 4 Kymco 49cc 2T scoots, and 2 of them had oil in the exhaust after sitting for a long time.  Take off the exhaust, and pour out the oil, be careful, will be a mess.  Put back together, ride scooter, will be a mosquito fogger until all the oil burns out.  Cheers

There is oil in the exhaust for sure, didn't know it could be caused from sitting. Will try draining it out. Thanks.

beermak

• View Profile
just needs some beating... theres old and unknown oil in the exhaust. it wil go away over time. just make sure the pump is calibrated  in the right position.

basically ride it like you stole it

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Oil gets into exhaust over time by the changing air temp which changes air pressure in the oil tank,and engine crankcase.  I will sometimes leave the oil tank top loose to make sure it's breathing, but I think maybe the crankcase can pull vacuum on the oil pump and pull oil into the crankcase anyway.  When the crankcase gets enough oil, it will overflow into the exhaust especially when you try to start the engine.

You will never notice it if you ride your scooter often.  Let is sit for a few months and some scooters will have oil in the exhaust.  Anyway, that has been my experience.  I have never tried to fix it, just something I am aware of.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

sfscooter

• View Profile
just needs some beating... theres old and unknown oil in the exhaust. it wil go away over time. just make sure the pump is calibrated  in the right position.

basically ride it like you stole it

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

How do you check if the oil pump is "calibrated in the right position"?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
There is little pointer where cable connects to oil pump.  There are three little lines on the engine case just below the pointer that you line the pointer up with.  I think the pointer should at minimum reach middle line at WOT.  You adjust the opening position where the cable is attached to the engine, just in front of the oil pump.

I like to set mine for maximum oil, but be careful pump doesn't bottom out before WOT or you can pull the cable end off the cable.  Then you will be running without oil and damage your engine.

You can also keep detailed records to see how much oil your engine is using.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
Re: Another Excessive Smoking Thread - Oil Pump Seal Cause? How to Replace?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
these oil pumps are notorious for filling case and exhaust with oil if not run on a semi regular basis I would replace exhaust with an expansion chamber exhaust which will give you better performance anyway, you'll have to tune CVT and carb to match it but not by much I would also to check to see if the oil pump is tuned correctly there is an arrow in the part of pump that turns and two has mark on the body the arrow should be between them at WOT (wide open throttle).
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

sfscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »
There is little pointer where cable connects to oil pump.  There are three little lines on the engine case just below the pointer that you line the pointer up with.  I think the pointer should at minimum reach middle line at WOT.  You adjust the opening position where the cable is attached to the engine, just in front of the oil pump.

I like to set mine for maximum oil, but be careful pump doesn't bottom out before WOT or you can pull the cable end off the cable.  Then you will be running without oil and damage your engine.

You can also keep detailed records to see how much oil your engine is using.  Cheers

Thanks, very helpful!

sfscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
these oil pumps are notorious for filling case and exhaust with oil if not run on a semi regular basis I would replace exhaust with an expansion chamber exhaust which will give you better performance anyway, you'll have to tune CVT and carb to match it but not by much I would also to check to see if the oil pump is tuned correctly there is an arrow in the part of pump that turns and two has mark on the body the arrow should be between them at WOT (wide open throttle).

Don't have any plans to replace the exhaust but thanks for letting me know that the oil pump is the issue. As stated before it was sitting for a long time and I'm sure it'll clear soon, either by me draining it or by just riding it. It runs great, very smooth acceleration and no flat spots.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
yes, these are great scooters, enjoy

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 01:29:44 AM »
I have reused them, especially the round one, like a metal o-ring.  If you can get the flat one off without messing it up, I would reuse it.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 03:50:18 AM »
if you need a gasket they are not hard to find treatland.tv has crush and regular gasket for exhausts in all sizes
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

sfscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »
One more question: if I am looking at the adjustment arrow is the richer setting to the left or right of the 2 adjustment marks? I think I may have leaned out the ratio too much.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
Depends which way you are looking?  When you open the throttle, the 1st adjustment mark to come across the stationary mark is the lean position, then as you continue to open the throttle, the 2nd mark is the rich position.  I usually set mine so it opens as far as possible without putting strain on the cable (so it has some slack, doesn't bottom out). It burns a little more oil, but that is a good thing IMO.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()