Author Topic: Derestricting the Kymco Super 8 4T?  (Read 37044 times)

Luke.

• View Profile
Derestricting the Kymco Super 8 4T?
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
I've had my Kymco a few months now, as i've mentioned in another post, and i've disconnected one of the eight wires in the CDI to take off the rev limiter, this has resulted in quicker acceleration and about 4-6 mph higher top speed.
As this is all i've done it is only going about 35/36/37 MPH now, i've looked for derestriction methods around but no one seems to know much about it, does anyone have any idea about what restrictors are on a Kymco super 8 4T?
Thanks for your time,

Luke
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:25:13 AM by Luke. »

Super8504T

• View Profile
Re: Derestricting the Kymco Super 8 4T?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
+1 I am in the exac same situation as you.  ::)

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
It's probably one of the hardest peds to derestrict "/
how much did it add for you when you cut the rev limiter & have you heard of any more restrictions?

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
Well when I got it, the violet wire on the CDI was already cut. I can at the moment (when its warmed up a bit) get 60 km/h which is about 38mph at the max. It will not go over this at all, even when going down hill it just sticks at 60 km/h. I think there is 3 restrictions on the bike. The CDI wire (which is already done), the variator boss, and changing the carb main jet to a size 85. I dont really know of any more.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »
..gotta de-restrict that boss...that's a major factor...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
How do you de-restrict that though? Is it just a washer.. or is it a new/better part?

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
yeah mine's 38 on the flat, when you go down hills, have the throttle held three quaters pulled back(if that makes sense?) it works for me, well i three quater throttle all the time, it seems to go faster? next time you go out on it give it a go :)
i've heard there's a restricter in the exhaust(a plate that needs to be hammered off), the variator needs to be replaced with a smooth one(the current one has a restricting 'shoulder on it'  and not sure about anything else, i'm just hoping people know about other restrictions or more about the ones i've mentioned.

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:17 PM »
Yeah I've tried that.. it works  :P

For now I just want to de-restrict the drive boss but I don't know how to do it or what things you need.

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
you tried it then? :)
yeah same really, i took the funnel out of the air filter cos' apparently it's a restricter, i see no difference so to save yourself time, don't try that one ;)
i think you may have to buy a new one, a 'smooth' one, unless you wanna try cutting off the shoulder so its smooth, i'm not too sure what it looks though, i'll have a look at my variator tomorrow and get back to you, unless you've already seen it?

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
Well.. with whats happend to my scooter recently, with me frying my CDI which cost £86 to replace and one very very very hard to start scooter, I got half way in taking off the CVT cover, I gt all the bolts off and was at the point of it coming off but something was preventing it somewhere, also a type of washer fell out, that scared me so I put it all back together again  :P Then went for a ride to test it, it was ok. Do you have to take off the kick start lever? 

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
£86?
derestricted ones are sold for just under £20 i think :S
well i kept the kick start lever on, my friend helped me with it so i'll have to ask him, there are alot of bolts holding it on though there's one or two deep ones? tomorrow when i try it shall i send you a picture of the opened variator?

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »
Here's where I would start!   http://www.malossiusaonline.com/product_p/5111151.htm    That's the quickest shipping, low cost company I buy from. There are a TON of posts on swapping out the parts, and tunning them. "search" feature for some of them. Ask if you get stuck! It is a fairly easy job if you get it all planed ahead.

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Well yeah I wanted to keep the geniune Kymco parts really. Didnt want to make it even worse if the aftermarket ones arent right!

And yeah a picture would be very helpful, thanks very much.  ;D

I just dont know if its a washer that restricts the variator or if it needs a new part. I hope not a new part.  :-\

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
fair enough, it's only a little bolt type thing :L  probably won't cost over £5? :)
that's alright (:

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()