Author Topic: Replacing bulbs with higher rated bulbs  (Read 6020 times)

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
Replacing bulbs with higher rated bulbs
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »
I don't know if anyone has looked into it but I'm interested in replacing the bulbs in my S200 with higher intensity bulbs.  PIAA makes a bulb that is rated at 60/55 Watts.   Would this overload the charging or electrical system of the bike?  Has anyone else attempted this?

http://www.bikerhiway.com/h4-110100w-xtreme-white-plus-antivibration-piaa-motorcycle-headlight-bulbs-2-pack-p-259.html

These are the bulbs I'm looking at and I believe that they are an exact replacement bulb style wise.  I am looking to make sure that I'm noticed better than I currently am.  Am I correct that the bulbs used are H4 bulbs?

Please also see this post about modulating lights if you haven't already http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=218.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:32:06 AM by Travis »
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
Re: Replacing bulbs with higher rated bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:21 AM »
It appears that they are not DOT approved.. This idea may be dead :(
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
My concern with the S200 would be the stator, which was the subject of a wide product recall in 2007, IIRC. Even with the corrective retrofit, I wonder about the stator's ability to handle a load greater than what the bike's original specs call for. It might help to first change all the indicator bulbs and brake/taillight with LED versions if you are considering an experiment with the higher-wattage bulb. A float charger would probably be a good idea to have handy, just in case.

Disclosure: I put a 60/55W bulb in my 2004 Yamaha Vino many months ago, and have suffered no ill effects, thusfar.

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
I have already been considering replacing all the rest of the bulbs.  I don't see how I could figure in the turn signals since they are such an intermittent thing.  I would hate to use the full rated amp rating of the turn signals and add it into my figures since they only flash here and there.  I'm starting with the brake/tail light bulb in my next project.  That should free up a few Amps for this.  I have read that the 1157 bulb uses 2.1 amps at 14 volts.  The current headlight bulbs use about 2.4 amps and the new ones will use about 4.1 amps.  Assuming that the new LED tail lights use 0.1 amps (highly unlikely) I would have:

2.4 Amps (current headlight) + 2 amps (gained through taillight) = 4.4 amps (Total capacity without overloading charging system)
2.4 Amps (current 2nd headlight) + 0.3 Amps (Left over from above other headlight) = 2.7 Amps (Capacity without overload)
4.1 Amps (Light Bulb Usage) - 2.7 Amps (figured in above formula) = 1.4 Amps Short

I guess the question is the built in buffer on these... Does 1.4 Amps more seem over optimistic?

My S200 is a 2008.. Is this still subject to this recall?

pandaiii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:41:39 AM »
Travis
thanks for posting this. i am ordering them asap.
panda

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:27:55 AM »
Travis
thanks for posting this. i am ordering them asap.
panda

Please make sure you understand what has been said above...
#1:  Not DOT Approved
#2:  May overload the charging circuit

If you do happen to do the swap please post back on how the bike handles it.  :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »
..I've installed LED signal lights in the front on my Agility 50...also in the two auxillary lights in the head-lamp..

..the benefit of LEDs is they draw less than 1/2 the amperage of regular incandescent lamps...

...higher watt lamps also generate a greater ammount of heat...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
I have heated handgrips on Agility 125 that use extra 50 W of power... the same thing on People 250 S.
In the past I had 65 W handgrips on Piaggio Beverly 200.

Never had a problem with battery charging.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
..dang..I need some of them...it's a cold ride in the winter around here....especially around 5:30 in the morning...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
On my zx50 there is no high beam.  So I took a dual beam bulb and wired it so both would be on at the same time.  I don't think I had enough juice to run them both.  The bulb didn't last all that long and was actually dimmer than when I wired it back with just the high beam on.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
..probably, one of the elements burned out initially... and possibly caused a short circuit...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
That is what eventually happened.  Still the new bulb is brighter, running just the high filiment.  Still interested in your HID conversion though!  Very sweet!  You need to post more on that thread.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:10:15 AM »
..yeah, I didn't start that...I ran up on it as I was browsing around here...I want one too!!!

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
I have a 2008 People S 125. I have changed all bulbs to led except the head lights. I have installed  a pair of 35 watt hid h4 hi/low lights and have no problems with charging. I have been told by KImco that they will blow the stater. I had silver stars in it before and it killed the battery all the time but did not take out the charging system. I did have trouble with the light relay and have rewired through my own switches. I ride about 100K each day to work and a lot of my riding is in the dark. A lot of deer around here to watch out for.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 05:00:31 AM »
One more thing to consider. Heat. The higher wattage bulbs may melt the lenses.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()