Author Topic: Modulated Headlights & Flashing Taillights  (Read 3663 times)

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
Modulated Headlights & Flashing Taillights
« on: May 31, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »
I had a very close encounter with a car the other day :o.  I wasn't seen (even with brights on ???) and had a driver pull directly out in front of me.  I believe that each and every one of our bikes suffers from a design defect. 

My very next project for this bike (parts are already ordered) is going to be a modulator for the headlights and brake light flasher.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/DiamondStar/dshm.asp

I know some of you may look at this image and think "wow how annoying" but I would rather be a little annoying than not be seen.  I would like to see videos made on how to install these systems on each model of bike that kymco makes.  I am going to make one for this model so everyone will have some reference.

These systems are fully DOT approved and the studies show that these make a motorcycle 200% more visible on the road.  These work with the high beam lights only and they only function during daylight hours (has a daylight sensor).  The system linked to above has 2 modes just in case the max mode is too much for your liking.  Both are DOT compliant.  This will also flash your lights when you press the horn (or flash at max brightness if system is already going) to give an additional heads up to drivers.  This also works as an emergency bulb monitoring system.  If the system detects that the bulb is burned out it will automatically engage the low beam lights.

I also plan to add a break light flasher to the bike.

This image shows the pattern in which the brake lights will flash.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/xp.asp
Emit a visual signal of 3 short light flashes, followed by 1 long light flash (3.5 seconds). The signal automatically repeats itself as long as the brakes are applied. This pattern is not random, but has been selected because of its ability to retain following drivers attention.

The BackOFF XP is also able to drive a LED taillight without anything extra.  It is fully solid state and isn't load dependant.  I am going to use this LED capability and install a high tech LED brake light.  These bulbs are made up with 32 individual LEDs.  If you want to make sure that your brake light is always working this is what you want.  I'm personally going to feel much more at ease knowing my 1 brake light is never going to burn out.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/1157-led-bulb-red-p-228.html

I think with these modifications riding will hopefully be a little safer and more drivers will see me and pay attention.  I urge you all to look at these upgrades and ask yourself is your life worth $109 dollars??  That $109 will buy you the headlight modulator, and brake light flasher.  For a little more you can get a LED brake light bulb.  ($109 is buying the modules straight from signal dynamics linked above)  I highly suggest the LED bulb listed above though.  That looks like the best design for our reflectors.

NOTE:  I am not affiliated or endorsing the sites linked to in this post I just happened to run across them while looking for a headlight modulator.  I don't want this to be taken as an advertisement I'm just letting people know that these products exist and where to find them.  I did several hours of research before finding these sites.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:26:26 AM by Travis »
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: Modulated Headlights & Flashing Taillights
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
I once did a pretty neat headlight modulator install on a Vespa GTS 250:
Hello friends,

I recently had the opportunity to install a Diamond-Star headlight modulator on a GTS 250.  The wiring is fairly straightforward, but the tricky part is finding a location for the optic sensor!  The optic sensor is required in the States because headlight modulation is illegal after dark, and the sensor allows the modulation to function only in the daylight hours.

I wasn't about to drill a hole in this guy's body panels.  I've seen another modulator install that had the sensor in the rubber boot that fastens at the foot of the mirror.  I could have done this, but I figured that I'd try to take a slightly more challenging gamble at it.

:D

(The first two photos are large, so I added them as links instead of posting the photos themselves.)

http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/vespalightmod/P1010001.JPG

http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/vespalightmod/P1010002.JPG

Mounting the optic sensor there is NOT as easy as you'd think!  There's a circuit board and some other goodies that prevent one from just drilling straight through the back of the instrument cluster to feed the sensor through.  I didn't have the camera yesterday when I started the project, so unfortunately there's no pics of the beginning... shame though, there's a LOT of fancy dremel work underneath that sensor. :)

Every wire touched in this project is soldered. :D
For what it's worth, that headlight modulator worked VERY well!  I tried installing one on a People S 125, but it didn't work so well... the stock charging system just didn't cut it.  The S 200 may be different though, I'm not sure.  The S 125 in question did not fall under Kymco's recall of the recitifer and stator coil issues.

~Josh
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:44:36 AM by Areomyst »
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

billbay2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »
So, Travis - does the standard headlight modulator work on the S 200?  My concern has been that the system may not be a strictly DC system, but rather a AC/DC system.  At least that's what I think I read somewhere, and I've been hesitant to order until I have definative information.

I do like the "package" deal that provides the brake light flasher also.

Curious as to how your install went. 

Bill

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
I have recently seen a motorcycle with a headlight modulator and it DOES get your attention. I might add the rider was dressed in black. Light colored clothing is cheaper, but the modulator is a good idea.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:47:02 AM »
I have the Comagination headlight modulator on my SYM HD 200. It is a lifesaver. People start to turn in front of me, see the flasher and stop dead in their tracks and stare at it. Sometimes people think it is an emergency vehicle and get out of the way also.

I am still waiting to find out if any brand works on the S 200 with its AC headlights.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()