Author Topic: Derestricting a Kymco Vitality 50cc 4t  (Read 28205 times)

thelastkahl

• View Profile
Derestricting a Kymco Vitality 50cc 4t
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Let me start off by saying that I am new to this.  I have been reading forums and posts on how to take restrictions off a Kymco 50 cc 4 stroke scooters daily but have unsuccessfully found any specifics on my model scooter.  I spoke to a scooter mechanic on the phone that explained to me that their is a restriction on the CDI unit which can be removed and a washer or "spacer" in the variator.  Another mechanic said that I would have to completely replace the CDI with a No Rev Limiter unit and replace the boss in the variator with one that doesn't have a shoulder.  I found the CDI under the seat and attached a link to where you can view a few pictures of it.  Like I said I am new to this and would appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance.

http://cid-da80bd52d440bde2.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/CDI%20on%202006%20Kymco%20Vitality%204t

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Derestricting a Kymco Vitality 50cc 4t
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
..Welcome to the Forum thelastkahl!!..

..your cdi requires that the corner be "notched" in order to cut a wire that is internal of the cdi casing.

..remove and unplug the cdi..using a hacksaw or a dremel type tool, make a cut on the corner of the casing, exactly like in the 2 top pics below...

..the bottom pic is of my cdi, and shows just how far you CAN cut without hitting ANYTHING internal....

..doing this will gve your scoot better performance overall...

..also, here is a link to the service manual for your scoot...

"http://pdftown.com/PDF-Kymco-Vitality-50-2T-4T-Service-Manual.html"

..aaannnd here is a link to all kinds of parts for your scoot...

"http://www.exportstrength.com/index.php?cPath=22_70

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:38:14 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
Good lookin' out slinger!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
..gotta helpa brother out!!..

;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
..yo thelast...  :-\

...that service manual link i posted doesn't work....I've had one helluva time finding a good link to that manual..but if you will go this.....other....scoot forum......(i feel like a traitor)... ;D ...and join up, you can then download a .rar file of the service manual for the Vitality 50 2t-4t...i checked it out, even d-loaded and unpacked the rar...it works bro....

"http://www.scootforum.com"

..they got's some kymco owners there...just glanced thru...imma see if anybody wants to come over here too...

peace
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:33:15 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:15:40 AM »
Slinger's going fishin'. I'll buy the first dozen rounds!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thelastkahl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
Okay.  I made the incision on the CDI and... Voila! I peaked out at 38-39 mph which is better than the 31 mph I was getting before the wire was cut.  Thank you again.  Now it is time to move onto the next derestiction.  I think I am just going to go ahead and order the new boss from scooter therapy store.  Installing this does not seem as easy as just making a incision on a CDI.  I have looked at the tutorial on the scooter therapy website and it looks like I might be able to manage, but any additional support would be great.  Has anyone ever installed one of these?  Anything I should be aware of or any common problems?  Thank you in advance...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
The hardest part about installing the boss is removing the variator nut.  Other than that its a piece of cake!  You will either need an impact wrench or a variator holder to lock the variator so you can remove the nut.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:41:18 AM »
I use a nylon strap wrench. It is similar to an oil filter wrench. Please use Blue Lok-tite to secure the var nut when you re install it, or order a new nut as they are intended to be used 1 time and thrown away. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2DFD5?Pid=search

thelastkahl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
I think I am going to buy a cheaper impact wrench online to use for the nut in the variator.  I also watched this great video Kymco Super 9 AC Variator and rollers on youtube and thought that maybe I should swap out my roller weights as well while I am exchanging the boss.  Does anyone have any suggestions on roller weights and or brand names?  Another question is, is it possible to buy a replacement nut for the variator, as I read above is to be used just once?  Thanks again...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx  That is the best shop (in my opinion) for oem parts. The stock rollers are supposed to be 6.5gr. If you replace w/ either 5.5 0r 6gr. you will see better take off, and throttle response across the board. You will also be reving higher, but nothing the engine can't handle. I use Malossi rollers, but to make a 1 stop shopping trip you can order the var. nut, and the rollers from stadium. the oem Kymco rollers are just fine for a "stock" scoot.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »
Here's the impact wrench I use.  I think I got it on sale for $35.  http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90798&submit2=find+it

TRESVN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
Hi all,
 New here I have the vitality 50 2t. Will the cdi mod work the same on mine as well?

Also i have both the service manual and owners manual if anyone needs them.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:31:21 PM by TRESVN »
04 vitality 50 2t

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55:22 PM »
Hi Brian, Can you post a Pict. of your cdi, or give us the wire colors? There are many different set-ups depending on where the scoot was marketed for, and the details help. There is a thread under the general section for manuals. Try looking thu those, and see if the one you have has been posted. If not it/they are a welcome addition. Welcome aboard B.

TRESVN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
thanks for the quick response Zombie. I'll get pics tomorrow, I have the scooter at work until i get it running right and insured.

Brian
04 vitality 50 2t

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()