Author Topic: Should I get a Bigger Scooter  (Read 6742 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Should I get a Bigger Scooter
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
I must apologize for the sound. I recorded this 3 times before giving up. Yet another thing to save money for (a new GoPro).

Wayne

Jeopardy4100

• View Profile
Re: Should I get a Bigger Scooter
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »
Nicely done.  You will get the sound right eventually.  As for a bigger scooter, how tall are you?  What is your inseam?  A Downtown may be right if your 5'10" or shorter.  Because I'm 6' and because of the distances I travel in Alaska, I settled on a Xciting 500Ri.  Way heavier than the 300.  My dealer, York Cycle Anchorage, confirmed today that the Xciting 400 is undergoing cert testing and this will be the last year for the 500 and the My Road in the U.S.  Best of luck deciding.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
6 foot tall, 32" inseam. As mentioned though it didn't seem that I had less leg room or felt more cramped when I sat on a DT300 in the showroom. On my super8 I sometimes slide my rear end back for a different riding position. With the DT300 I wouldn't be able to do that (cause of the hump in the seat) which makes me a little concerned that my riding position will never be able to change. Pulling over and getting off to stretch would be my only relief on long rides.
Wayne

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »
  I would like a new scooter too one that fits people our size,  220 lbs.  6 foot long,  I hope the downtown 350i will do the trick, when it comes to our shores,  waiting and praying DeDee ,    may it comes soon,. Im 82 years old,

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:27:21 AM »
Wayne, have you had a chance to try out a People GT 300i.  I have a People 150 and I often thought if I made the move to a larger scoot, the GT 300i would fit the bill.  It has the 16" wheels and appears to have a more upright riding position than most of the other larger scoots.  I believe 2013 was the last model year that was sold in the U.S. but several dealers still have new 2013s in stock.  In fact, a dealer in Osseo, MN is selling them for $3,299, your choice of color!  Heck of a deal!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
I have not but that dealer (Heinen's) is the cheapest I've ever seen. Would be worth the 7 hr drive and a hotel for that kind of price. I should look for a a people 300. I had heard such great things about the downtown that I just plain forgot about the People 300.
Wayne

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
I went from a People(not a GT) to the DT due to a rebuilt right shoulder .Tried the GT300 and it was too top heavy for me to risk more surgery on the shoulder. Thus, the Downtown and it's lower , road-hugging position. Don't notice the difference in tires , with exception of the top heavy part . Hubby , now, rides my old People S series .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
I have not but that dealer (Heinen's) is the cheapest I've ever seen. Would be worth the 7 hr drive and a hotel for that kind of price. I should look for a a people 300. I had heard such great things about the downtown that I just plain forgot about the People 300.
When I was looking to upgrade from my Honda 150 everyone on this forum was super helpful and suggested the People GT300i, I got one and it is a fantastic machine! Like everyone said it fits a great niche with lot of power, buy it and you will not regret it...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
Sound ain't so bad considering how the GoPro sound works. Good video. Yeah, well, duh! for the larger scoot. We started with 50's. Then to 150's (well, the Yager was a 173, really and the Like was a 163, really but y'all know that). Then to the 300's: mine a DT and her's a People GT300i. Neither of us are split up the middle as far as you so fit is not really a problem for either of us. But power is way greater on both since both engines are essentially the same. The cruising is SOOO much easier and hill climbing is easier. Allows us to enjoy the ride more. Pick the one that fits you better and go for it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
$3300 for a 300 Kymco is a great deal.....unless they're nailing you with a grand or more with extra fees. Take the bus out, buy the scoot and a couple Qts of oil and ride the back roads home. Stopping freq - & changing the oil along the way, have a tuna sandwich.

If that is a bogus OTD price - remember that those list prices of $5400 > $5600 for a 300 Kymco could buy a bigger motorcycle - and $3999 will buy a 2015 Honda CB300F bike. (my son paid $4700 OTD for a nearly new CB500 still under Honda warranty for several mos) Also, the DT300 Kymco and the Honda Forza 300 are the same price. And cycletrader often has both for a lot less. I love my Kymco - but do not think Kymco should be pricing their 300's so high - as high as a Honda. Honda 300>500 bikes are a real bargain - not so the Forza. It is expensive - so are the Kymco 300's. Too  expensive when compared to how much more motorcycle you could get for the same price. Us old guys opt for the scooters - sometimes - but you younger guys should keep an open mind. One CAN ride a motorcycle sanely - like a scooter....and enjoy the safety of the extra power and cruising ability.
I do love my scooter - just sayin'
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »
Think safe and get only what you can handle safly. Only you know what you can handle.think of balance and speed .and how hefy the scoot is. I like scoots I can touch booth feet flat on the ground when in at a full stop.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:39 AM »
  what is the range of a GT300i  on my downtown I have gone 370 KM. on a tank of gas, trying to slow me down, will try to go 400 km. on a tank of gas,   I would like to try a GT 300i but none in canada,. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
Should you get a bigger scooter?   Only you can really answer that but here's some thoughts. 

Bigger is not always better.  A bigger scooter will be better in some ways, not so good in others.  For running around town a 150 is hard to beat.  I have four bikes in my garage ranging from my S-8 up to a couple of 650cc motorcycles.  For around town I almost always take my Super 8.  It's just more fun to ride in town and I'm less likely to get a ticket.  Outside of town it's still fun but top speed can sometimes be an issue on faster roads.  Mine will typically top out at around 65 on the speedo although I have seen 73 down hill.  I occasionally take it on the interstate for a short distance but only in light traffic.  I have done a couple of 200+ miles days on the S-8

For longer trips a bigger scooter will work better.  I have taken a 2100 mile, 8 state trip on my Aprilia Sport City 250 with my camping gear.  300+ mile days are no problem on the 250 and I have done a 550 mile day.  So, a 300 will be plenty big enough to do just about any trip.

BTW, I have ridden both the DT300 and T Max.  The T Max had plenty of performance but I just didn't feel that comfortable on it.  I really liked the DT300.  I'm 6-2 with a 34" Inseam and didn't really feel cramped.  I wouldn't hesitate to ride cross country on either Kymco 300 although the larger gas tank on the DT would be better as is the fuel filler not being under the seat. 

Here's a link to my test ride on the DT300:  http://bamarides.com/ride/scooters/kymco-dt300-test-ride/

Here's my ride report on my 2100 mile trip on my 250:  http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404

Keep in mind that the Kymco 300 has about 6 more HP than my Aprilia so the performance is much better.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
$3300 for a 300 Kymco is a great deal.....unless they're nailing you with a grand or more with extra fees. Take the bus out, buy the scoot and a couple Qts of oil and ride the back roads home. Stopping freq - & changing the oil along the way, have a tuna sandwich.

If that is a bogus OTD price - remember that those list prices of $5400 > $5600 for a 300 Kymco could buy a bigger motorcycle - and $3999 will buy a 2015 Honda CB300F bike. (my son paid $4700 OTD for a nearly new CB500 still under Honda warranty for several mos) Also, the DT300 Kymco and the Honda Forza 300 are the same price. And cycletrader often has both for a lot less. I love my Kymco - but do not think Kymco should be pricing their 300's so high - as high as a Honda. Honda 300>500 bikes are a real bargain - not so the Forza. It is expensive - so are the Kymco 300's. Too  expensive when compared to how much more motorcycle you could get for the same price. Us old guys opt for the scooters - sometimes - but you younger guys should keep an open mind. One CAN ride a motorcycle sanely - like a scooter....and enjoy the safety of the extra power and cruising ability.
I do love my scooter - just sayin'
Stig

Hate to say it but as much as you like the CB300, you push it in every thread, you don't own one. Enough said.

A DT300 and a forza may cost the same up in the northland but here where we ride year round they have never cost the same. One can buy a DT for thousands less than the underpowered Forza. Those are real OTD prices. You're just used to Japan's way of marking up scooters. You have it backwards it's the Hondas that are overpriced.

Oh I found the stereotypical "young guys should keep an open mind" , well obsurd.

Just say'n

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:20:33 AM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »
I really don't have a reason to steer away from the KYMCO brand but these local dealers just don't want to bargain. Probably won't get one for a while but the feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for all the input.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()