Author Topic: Motorcycle riding gear just doesn't cut it anymore  (Read 9370 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle riding gear just doesn't cut it anymore
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
I don't give a rat's arse end what other people think of what I wear. I just hate the power ranger look for riding on a scooter. To me it's like wearing a tuxedo to a rodeo. Sportsbike apparel looks great and fits the sportsbike venue, but it sure doesn't fit the image of one who rides a scooter in my opinion. Because of this I want a change.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:07:09 PM by TroutBum »

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Walked into work the other day with my hi viz jacket on, carrying my helmet & the security guard asked why I had all that gear if I was just riding a scooter? The stupidity of some people, I didn't even bother responding to his question. It's that type of idiot that causes accidents in the first place.
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
Walked into work the other day with my hi viz jacket on, carrying my helmet & the security guard asked why I had all that gear if I was just riding a scooter? The stupidity of some people, I didn't even bother responding to his question. It's that type of idiot that causes accidents in the first place.

Nice.
That's why I avoid contact with the other humanoids....

Be Big,
AMAaC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
My response is there are too many idiots out there talking on cellphones and texting and you need to be seen and protected as possible. Most likely that person that questioned you is one of those smartphone cagers.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »

Hey, I was riding my two-toned, pastel blue, chromed, crazy-long Italian mirrored plastic scooter home from work today in the rain - and a Harley Guy gave me the Biker's Wave thing...
BaddaBing!
Ha!
So, we ARE accepted by the 2-wheeled world....really we are.

I was stoked when riding the parkway here in asheville when not just one,  but close to every bike that was going the other way gave me  "the wave".  And it's been happening out in town recently, now that the weather has been nice and the motorcycles are coming out of hibernation.  My girlfriend laughs at my excitement from the wave.  I know I'm lame.  I accept it.

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
I get about 50% of the riders I pass that throw "the wave" out to me, personally i'd rather keep my hands on the handlebar especially in Austin traffic, LOL  :o
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 11:23:50 PM »
I've definitely missed replying to several for safety concerns. 
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
It's all psychological. When I used to get geared up (just jeans and Joe Rocket Jacket with good gloves and full face helmet), I used to feel self conscious. I'm on a scooter and I wasn't used to that. I'm a bigger guy, too, at 230lbs. So I imagine I do look humorous on a scooter; but who gives a shat, really?

First part, and the most important, is that you're protected. Everything else is secondary. If your issue is comfort, there HAS to be someone out there making some gear (even motorcycle specific gear) that takes into account rider comfort without letting them feel like a transformer - all stiff with limited movement.

Like others have said, it may mean just going with a leather jacket. Maybe by a jacket, remove the liner and the CE armor. As far as pants, Just wear jeans imo. Most accidents are impact-related, and don't result in slides. I'd be more concerned about my upper body instead of my legs, honestly.

My local scooter shop offers some cool stuff. They even have some cool denim jackets (can't believe I just said that!) with removable padding. It's a pretty low profile jacket and even with the padding in you can barely tell.

If you go another route or find something, let me know. I'm definitely interested. At this point I need to buy all new gear. Hi-Viz is #1 priority. idc if I look like a light bulb coming down the road. And a padded jacket and full face are next. However, I'm always interested in more comfort beecuase most of the jackets I've owned haven't really been comfortable at all.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
It's all psychological. When I used to get geared up (just jeans and Joe Rocket Jacket with good gloves and full face helmet), I used to feel self conscious. I'm on a scooter and I wasn't used to that. I'm a bigger guy, too, at 230lbs. So I imagine I do look humorous on a scooter; but who gives a shat, really?

First part, and the most important, is that you're protected. Everything else is secondary. If your issue is comfort, there HAS to be someone out there making some gear (even motorcycle specific gear) that takes into account rider comfort without letting them feel like a transformer - all stiff with limited movement.

Like others have said, it may mean just going with a leather jacket. Maybe by a jacket, remove the liner and the CE armor. As far as pants, Just wear jeans imo. Most accidents are impact-related, and don't result in slides. I'd be more concerned about my upper body instead of my legs, honestly.

My local scooter shop offers some cool stuff. They even have some cool denim jackets (can't believe I just said that!) with removable padding. It's a pretty low profile jacket and even with the padding in you can barely tell.

If you go another route or find something, let me know. I'm definitely interested. At this point I need to buy all new gear. Hi-Viz is #1 priority. idc if I look like a light bulb coming down the road. And a padded jacket and full face are next. However, I'm always interested in more comfort beecuase most of the jackets I've owned haven't really been comfortable at all.

http://gogogearla.com/
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
http://gogogearla.com/

Nice. Still waiting on the new jackets.
$$$ burning a hole in the pocket !

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
Thanks, Bluesin! That site is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks, Bluesin! That site is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YW ! Site will be being updated in near future from what I hear. New jackets later this Summer , I think . I like the upcoming Harrington look. I have hoodies .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
Check out armored hoodies, I'm considering getting one.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
Nice. Still waiting on the new jackets.
$$$ burning a hole in the pocket !

Be Big,
AMAC

From gogogearla.com, I have the ventilated cafe jacket in black with silver reflective piping.

I also have the black kevlar hoodie and the black kevlar leggings.

All are AWESOME.  I really like the new leggings but have only worn them once so far.

In cooler to cold weather I wear my packable down jacket under the cafe jacket and I am warm enough and still very comfortable.

I also bought my husband the hoodie.  It's his favorite jacket other than his leather one.
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 08:42:15 AM »
if anyone every go down they are going to wish they look like a power ranger...if you scoot can do fifty you want the same protection as a motocycle with higher speeds
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()