Author Topic: New Like 200i owner in So. Calif.  (Read 14451 times)

HelloPitty

• View Profile
New Like 200i owner in So. Calif.
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:57 AM »
Hello KymcoForum folks!

My story on how I ended up here:
When I was a teen my dad bought me a Puch moped. At some point my brother loaned it out and it was never returned.
I decided I wanted to find another. I started looking at CL to find one. A few Vespa ads were in the list as well and I decided to click in....
Love at first scooter sight.

In typical newbie fashion I didn't know what to buy. I went to a couple of motorcycle shops nearby, but didn't find one to try.
I read lots of posts about Vespas and decided I would at least narrow my search to an air-cooled model. There are a lot of those I soon found out.

Ultimately I decided to jump in, buy a used LX150, then decide if I bought too small, or too heavy, or too difficult to work on. If I purchased wrong, I would re-sell and buy a model that I felt would address the shortcomings of the one I bought.  I did buy one, seen in the second post.

Suddenly my dad became interested in riding along and said he wished he had a scooter.  I immediately began looking and ran across a 2012 Kymco Like 200i with 315 miles for $1275.  I'm not entirely sure it was a great deal, but I was willing to pay the price to have a scooter for when my dad stops over.

I just brought it home yesterday and haven't taken a proper photo of it, so I'll use the photo from the ad:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:33:00 PM by HelloPitty »

HelloPitty

• View Profile
Re: New Like 200i owner in So. Calif.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
I like the fact that both the Kymco and Vespa are air-cooled.
I will admit I LOVE the disc brakes on the 200i.
I will admit I LOVE the fuel injection..my older Vespa does not have it.
I also LOVE the blinkers on the 200i, they make noise, yay!

Here is my scooter: 2006 Vespa LX150:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:32:34 PM by HelloPitty »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »
HelloPitty, Welcome to the forum.
Already I know you will be a shining star here. You didn't ask for a "T" shirt or a beer!

Check out Stigs threads on his Like. He's perhaps our most prolific Like poster. A nice guy as well. (don't tell him I said that).

SoCal, and scooters... Almost as nice as Florida. We have you beat tho... We get to play in hurricanes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScootCoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
HelloPitty,

Welcome to the Like 200i world.  I think you're going to love your new scooter.  I know I love mine.  I'm no expert on prices for used Likes, but with only 315 miles, you basically got a new scooter for $1275.  To me, that's a deal.  I'm sure you and/or your dad will have fun scootin' on the Like!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:26:45 AM by ScootCoot »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »
Welcome !!
I think that is a good price .....and yeah, it is a new scoot! (@$2K less than I paid)
Drain the oil, replace per owner's manual and enjoy!
Agree - love the EFI, brakes,  twin shocks and air cooled no hassles. These things and the Vespa/Lambretta look sold me!
You have 2 very nice scoots. :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Check out Stigs threads on his Like. He's perhaps our most prolific Like poster. A nice guy as well. (don't tell him I said that).

Mums the word.  ;D

I'm sure you and/or your dad will have fun scootin' on the Like!

I rode it directly to his house on Sunday, and he hopped right on it.  I rode up and said, "Hi dad, here's your new Goldwing!"
At his age his Honda Goldwing is just too heavy for him...so this scoot is perfect!

Drain the oil, replace per owner's manual and enjoy!
That is on my to-do list on Saturday.  No oil filter to buy, yay!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:53:12 PM by HelloPitty »

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I as well have a Like 200i. New 2014 model, only 100 miles so far, the ONLY gripe I have so far is the seat, the rides can be a little rough, so the only modification I will make is to replace the seat material with some more comfy stuff for my booty, even on these urban roads here in Austin, TX, potholes are all too common!

Have fun & enjoy!
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »
the only modification I will make is to replace the seat material with some more comfy stuff

Indeed, same here!
Another bonus with the Like 200i is that it has 12 inch wheels, a little added smoothness from my perspective.
The Vespa has 11 inch front and 10 inch back wheels.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Mums the word.  ;D

I think he saw it. Watch how I do this... ;)

Hey Stiggy... I was just kiddin' mate! ;D

Add a couple/2 ounces of Sea Foam to the next two full tanks of fuel. It will clean out the fuel system just in case the bike has sat w/ old gas. That, and the oil change/ perhaps a new set of fuel, and air filters, and a new spark plug should get you rippin'.
I understand it all should be new already but I look for the piece of mind.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 01:06:18 AM »
I do use Seafoam in my other scoot and have had good results.  I'll try it in this as well.
Forgot about the air filter.  First I'll do the oil, and spark plug, those should be easiest maintenance for me.
Then I'll tackle the air filter after finding (hopefully), a YouTube video.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:33:18 AM »
I do use Seafoam in my other scoot and have had good results.  I'll try it in this as well.
Forgot about the air filter.  First I'll do the oil, and spark plug, those should be easiest maintenance for me.
Then I'll tackle the air filter after finding (hopefully), a YouTube video.

There is one on youtube from an old member here. Remove side panel by sliding it back after removing a couple screws, etc., etc.
This just might be in the top 5 easiest scoots to do a vavle adjust on, too. (some hondas you just turn a screw/nut on the outside of valve cover!)
Stig
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:49:19 AM »
That's a score for the like 200!!!! Make sure you do the valves also, first check is 300mi. Important to so early on. Stig has an awesome write up for the valve adjustment, better than the service manual. Hey zombie, Cali might not have hurricanes but earthquakes beat the pants off a hurricane!!!! Just wait for the "big one"!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »
Er uhh... NOT!

Where's Atlantis? Exactly!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
I wonder if anyone has ever been in an earthquake and hurricane at the same time? That'd be where it's at!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

HelloPitty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:04 AM »
That's a score for the like 200!!!! Make sure you do the valves also, first check is 300mi. Important to so early on. Stig has an awesome write up for the valve adjustment, better than the service manual.

Valve adjustment will be done, thank you for the reminder.  Now to find Stig's write up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()