Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 7608 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Lane Splitting
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:10:07 AM »
Here's a nice infomercial about lane splitting that gives stats, advice, etc. Of course it's from the pro side of the issue.

Wayne

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:04 PM »
Lets be honest, we have all done it. 

That being said, I could see it under very limited circumstances.  Generally speaking however if we bikers do not obey the rules of the road as they are now; getting something changed that would benefit us is hypocritical of us. 

I'm on the "no lane splitting" side. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
I only use lanesplitting when traffic is super congested ahead of me and I can see a way through. Is not legal in Oregon, but i figure in going my part to help congestion and f*** the people blocking my way in cars. I love it when I get dirty looks and it's like well......... Get a scooter or shut up!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Lane splitting interests me but in the same vane it seems to me that would would make the ride pretty scary. One advantage they pointed out that I hadn't thought of though was the 30% drop in rear end deaths. That's a nice benefit thats hard to argue against.

I also saw anothor vid of lane splitting last night and this guy was pushing the limit. In and out of lanes, in the middle. Just seemed dangerous. But then again the traffic was flowing quite nicely and I though that didn't really merit lane splitting. Lane splitting in bumper to bumper traffic seems to have the most advantages and make the most sense.
Wayne

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
Lane splitting interests me but in the same vane it seems to me that would would make the ride pretty scary. One advantage they pointed out that I hadn't thought of though was the 30% drop in rear end deaths. That's a nice benefit thats hard to argue against.

I also saw anothor vid of lane splitting last night and this guy was pushing the limit. In and out of lanes, in the middle. Just seemed dangerous. But then again the traffic was flowing quite nicely and I though that didn't really merit lane splitting. Lane splitting in bumper to bumper traffic seems to have the most advantages and make the most sense.

Rear end crashes down 30%, being cut off increase 30%. You don't get anything for free these days!!! I NEVER lane split more than 20mph over traffic speed. I just use it to get out of gridlock situations.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
Lane splitters remind me of sky divers, I'm not a sky diver even with 5 parachutes attached!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:03:07 AM »
I HATE the idea of skydiving!!! But funny you say that, I would love to see the stats on deaths skydiving vs lane splitting

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:46:47 AM »
Thankfully, I'm in state that allows lane splitting, and do exercise this privelage from time to time. These days, lanesplitting is quite common. Unless one rides a motorcycle or scooter, cagers will never understand the benefits of allowing motor bikes to filter through traffic, "when done safely, and follow the rules". Just like bad car drivers, there are riders who set a bad example of others. My point is, Ride responsibly goes a long way.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Thankfully, I'm in state that allows lane splitting, and do exercise this privelage from time to time. These days, lanesplitting is quite common. Unless one rides a motorcycle or scooter, cagers will never understand the benefits of allowing motor bikes to filter through traffic, "when done safely, and follow the rules". Just like bad car drivers, there are riders who set a bad example of others. My point is, Ride responsibly goes a long way.

Which was the point that I was trying to make.  We have to ride responsibly.  The only state that allows land splitting currently is California.

How many times have we see drivers switch lanes suddenly without looking.  How many times have we heard "I didn't see him/her!"  How many times have we seen riders zipping down the road sans protective gear and over the speed limit? 

The road is a dangerous place and we bikers need to do more to educate the public.  We also need to obey the rules of the road.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:48 AM »
I also use lane splitting when there is gridlock and there is a good amount of room on the shoulder to make passing safe. It helped me get to an appointment on time by riding up the side of the road past a construction traffic jam. Would have been sitting in that line for a good 25 minutes.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
I also use lane splitting when there is gridlock and there is a good amount of room on the shoulder to make passing safe. It helped me get to an appointment on time by riding up the side of the road past a construction traffic jam. Would have been sitting in that line for a good 25 minutes.

Be careful about passing on the right. Not only do cars NOT expect a passing on the right, but is very risky for those last minute changes of someone pulling into a driveway. I have read more accidents about passing on the right, and more especially, between parked cars. Not only that, consider when passing on the shoulder (crossing the white solid line [fog line]), or riding in a marked bicycle lane, you can get cited...... at least here in California.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:57:05 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
have always thought
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
lane splitting is dangerous and still do.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
Everyone has their own risk/reward. As far as I'm concerned it's no different than the helmet/no helmet deal. Make a choice and live with it.

Just don't call your lawyer if it turns out poorly.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »
Lane splitting = NUTZ!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Had a California Highway Patrol motor officer show me how to lane split in the late 60's. He was the same officer that investigated a crash because of lane splitting. I was the "splitter" and some mouth-breather in a '62 Nova was the "splitee", with the shaker hood, big fat tires on the back and the skinny tires on the front. He got so riled he crashed into the back of some old guy's Nash Ambassador trying to keep up with me yelling obscenities out his window. The Nova turned into junk with the front wheels pidgeon-toed, radiator steaming and the fan machining out the back of the radiator. That same motor cop shows up and heards everyone off the I-5 freeway. He asks the old guy if he was OK and then turns to me to ask what happened. I told him I was doing like he showed me and this guy, the Nova mouth-breather, got all ruffled and so on. He says to get on my motor and head home. As I am riding off the motor cop has the Nova guy looking all sheepish and wishing he were somewhere else.

There. I told my lane splitting story like I said I would. The point the motor cop made was keep the relative speed low like 5-6 miles per hour. And don't lane split if traffic is really moving over 10 mph. He said there is no reason for a motor to sit there in the heat (or the cold) while traffic is stopped. Worked for me. Not too much reason out here in the "country" to even consider it since there are not any traffic jams like southern CA except at times in the big cities like Nashville and Memphis. But we don't live there and avoid Memphis like the plague.

Judgement is the big thing in riding as well as lane splitting. Y'all be as safe as you can and Blue Skies!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()