Author Topic: Cheap rain gear?  (Read 1745 times)

ad_astra

• View Profile
Cheap rain gear?
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
So I got caught in a freak thundstorm on my way home. I was soaked. Unpleasant. What do you all carry under your seat for situations like this? I had a cheap Walmart poncho, but it would have done nothing for the legs, anyway.
2014 Kymco Agility 125

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Re: Cheap rain gear?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »
Frogg toggs. You can buy them online from cabellas or froggtoggsraingear.com. 100% water proof and lightweight.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:25:28 AM by ScooterLar »
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
I usually don't carry rain gear except for a tarp for my scooter. I generally try to avoid riding in the rain. For that reason I check/listen to the weather reports, though they are notoriously inaccurate in my area. I generally don't care if I get soaked. Pretty sure I'm going to dry, but I hate having my scooter caught in a downpour, and seeing rust on it sometime later.

I've heard people comment that it's safe to drive in the rain if precautions are taken, such as waiting thirty minutes after the rain starts so that any oils in the road are cleared off. One thing I've observed is my ability to see is really reduced, both through the visor of my helmet and on my mirrors. Cars are viewed mainly as the glare of their lights. If I see things that way, I have to wonder how do cars see me as a small, two wheeled bike on the road?

There's also the matter of traction. I've heard it suggested that you have about 80% of your traction in the rain. I think it depends on how hard its raining and the nature of the road you're on. I drive as if my traction is reduce by one half. This forces me to keep my bike up right as much as possible on the curves and to slow my speed. This will help braking as that too will be reduced.

Sometimes you can't avoid the rain, but if possible I'd suggest pulling over and waiting it out. Scooter, and M/C's are great for riding, but not when the road conditions are impaired. One good thing I've notice about driving in the rain is that other cars tend to drive slowly too, or will tend to give scooter or motorcycle riders a wide berth as they can see our own difficulty.

-Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
I live in Florida use my scooter daily so I get rained on. Riding  in the rain is a skill set you acquire only by doing. I've done thousands of wet miles and it's rare I feel unsafe.

Cheap is a relative term. I use industrial supply house HiVis gear. About 60-100.00 depending on style etc.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
I got a frog togs rain suit from Walmart
Wayne

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »
Frogg toggs. You can buy them online from cabellas or froggtoggsraingear.com. 100% water proof and lightweight.

That's what I have and can not recommend them enough!   ;D

Speaking of rain....it took me nearly two hours to get home the other night due to rain.  http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2015/08/decisionsgood-and-bad.html
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()