Author Topic: New Kawasaki J300 scooter is really a Kymco Downtown 300  (Read 18368 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: New Kawasaki J300 scooter is really a Kymco Downtown 300
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »
Golf carts use CVT's as well.
IMHO the fact of the matter is MOST mechanics are grease monkeys. Some do a few things well some are GREAT al all sorts of things, and others just do it because they can not do anything at all.

I've said this a thousand times... I've been a mechanic of one sort or another for most of my life, and I can count the really great mechanics I have met on one hand. It's an aptitude that goes way beyond classes or school room learning. A great mechanic can see what is happening and why before he even see's the machine.

You don't come across these people every day, and dealerships are no where near having enough of these guys. Actually dealerships generally get the monkeys that mess up an oil change, or the guy that can recite every part number from a 1979 Honda GoldWing but be completely lost under the plastics of a scooter.

Just my opinions
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
A great mechanic can see what is happening and why before he even see's the machine.

I took a bachelor 2 yr program at Portland CC and learned a lot about engines and different systems in cars, but I have learned MUCH MUCH more in the 5 years I've worked on scooters at the shop. Nothing beats real world experience. It's funny because another shop in town has "the only certified Vespa mechanic in Portland" and I see SOOOOOOOOO many screw ups' that are just plain stupid. 
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
Like I said... The class room does nothing for a mechanic. It's sort of like that SuperMan thing where you can see thru things. You have to know what is doing what, and be able to see it working in your mind. No need to tear an entire bike apart if you know where to look for the problem.

Parts Changers are another conversation completely. They make me furious.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:41 AM »
I was watching a pretty cool documentary where they were talking about how Nicola Tesla, a personal hero of mine, could completely visualize his inventions even up to the point of being able to do R&D in his mind switching stuff around and trying different configurations of coils etc. It's a tragedy he was not recognized for what he did until now, amazing person.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:14 AM »
Guess who made everything we do today possible? TV Radio Cell Phones ect... Hedy Lemar! The FIRST Nude
Femme fatale
http://www.women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lammar.asp

She may also be the ONLY reason we won WWII. She developed the Tech that ran EVERYTHING!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »
WOW that's one badass chick!!!! I have indeed heard of that code before, but never read too much about her.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 03:09:18 AM »
It amazed me when I learned about her, and her life.
I thought broads were only good for fetching my beer. Who knew??

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
Yeah no kidding...... And sandwiches

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
MMmmmmm! Easy on the ketsup

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »
It amazed me when I learned about her, and her life.
I thought broads were only good for fetching my beer. Who knew??

Yeah no kidding...... And sandwiches

I'm gonna have to come hurt you guys, you  know .    ;)

I have been medically trained to knowhowto do so .    ;D
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
I sincerely hope that's a promise. I'll have the cold cuts, and beer ready.

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »
Are you sure that wasn't HEDLEY LAMARR??????

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
Pretty sure!

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
Pretty sure!

I knew that was coming......

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:39 AM »
 Had to think for a moment, and that really hurt.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()