Author Topic: Speedometer Problem ...  (Read 19732 times)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Speedometer Problem ...
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
Riding down the road the other day I hit a bump and the speedometer quit working.  Next bump it jumped back up and started working, then next bump (small) it quit again.  This went on and off for a while.  By the time I got home it worked only when applying the brakes. :(  This leads me to believe a connection is loose and the forward pressure from applying the brakes makes contact.  Back in the garage I put it on the center stand and with a flashlight could see most of the wires up front.  I could not see the back of the speedometer however.  I checked for loose wire as far as I could reach and took a couple of test rides, but no avail.  I can take it down to my dealer and have them check it out, but will be without the scoot for awhile.  Has anyone had the dash out of the X500?  Mine is an 09 with about 2900 miles on it.  If it is just a loose connection and I can find it I had just as soon fix it myself.  Station Park Honda, my dealer has a good service dept and I know both the service manager and the general manager.  I also know they are backed up and it could take a week or so for them to get to it.  I would prefer that route only if there is a defective part.  Anyhow, like I said anyone got instructions on how to get to the back of the dash or has anyone had this problem and knows what the fix is?  In the meantime I stuck the GPS on so I could see how fast I am going. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Re: Speedometer Problem ...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »
Update: Got in there and was able to find and reach the plug on the back of the dash unit.  It's not loose  :(.  Checked the prox clearance, it is in spec  :(. Wires from prox unit to main plug are ok and connectors are tight  :(.
Looks like a trip to the dealer to leave my baby with them.  It is looking an awful lot like it may be the dash unit has something loose inside.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
FRom what you said it does sound more like a cold solder joint than a mechanical problem.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »
FRom what you said it does sound more like a cold solder joint than a mechanical problem.

..cold solder joints can be difficult to find, because they may appear to be just fine...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
A bench full of test equip. is about the only way. Most of this stuff is assembled by robots, doing work people CAN NOT. Have you seen some of the TINY circuts involved. It's all made to be throw away now.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »
I have come to the same conclusion.  I had the front plastic off so I could get to everything.  It is not a bad connection I can find.  The prox pickup clearance is in spec.  Ether the pickup has something loose inside (easier to replace but not likely) or the dash unit has something loose inside, most likely a bad solder joint.  It's going to the dealer this week so they can order parts.   Guess I am going to find out how efficient the Kymco parts supple chain is.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
It may be less expensive to order the parts VIA, stadium yamaha-kymco parts on line, and install them yourself. By the time you add the dealer rate (labor) you may come out ahead,. If it is indeed an intermittent problem, chances are the dealer will not be able to "spec" the trouble, and order the part to have you "give it a try". Unless it is a warranty. Just a thought. Best of luck...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »
It's under warranty.  I wanted to check it myself first just to make sure I didn't leave it with them only to find it was a simple loose connection.  That means I'll have to ride something else  :( till I get it back.  I't rather fix it myself than give it up for the time they need to troubleshoot and fix...  I know the parts manager as well and can count on him to expedite parts if he can.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:20:28 AM »
Dropped it off at my dealer today... :(
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
Hi Jim, Been watching the forum to find out what the outcome was ragarding your speedo, any news yet. Haven't been riding for over a week now, been rain everyday, and I'm chicken to ride in the rain, and every spare moment working on a private job in my workshop. Making a few extra bucks. Think I'll put them away incase that sleek looking 2010 X500 finds it's way to our shores or even a X700 who knows. Take care.

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
Sorry to say the X500 is still in the shop waiting for parts.  Seems like most parts are readily available except for stuff that seldom fails.  I was not in a hurry, but I really did not mean for them to store it for the winter ether.  Haven't been down there since last Saturday so haven't had a chance for an update.   Riding the Wing isn't bad ether, but sure miss the scooter in town and on the little twisty back roads. I figure it will be done when the weather is the worst (cold with sleet or sleet mixed with some snow) and then I gotta ride it home.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:37:51 AM »
Well my friend I guess I groan a bit too soon when it rains but I have to say overall we have wonderful weather for riding. Weatherman said good weather today and tomorrow so up at 05h00 gave the scoot a good clean, collected lots of dust standing last 13 days and left for work at 06h50. Beautiful weather, scooter going oh so smooth, hit the hiway smiling from ear to ear, thermometer says 24c now how can you beat that. I feel for you guys who have the cold and snow weather. Sure hope they get the parts for your scooter soon. Take care.

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
Well they finally got to the root of the problem.  I told them I was not in a hurry, humm they took me at my word.  But they did find the problem.  They got the specs from Kymco to check the prox pickup and found it was not sending.  Then by moving the wires they found where they had pinched the wire in a clamp installed at the factory and the wire broke inside.  Any slight movement would make contact, such as putting on the brakes.  New pickup installed and all is well. Now it's too cold for me to ride, not counting the wind and winter mix of rain and snow that's due to hit tonight.  Now I am glad my car has all wheel drive and a good heater.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
All's well that ends well. Just in time to winterize!

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:42:45 AM »
Hi Jim I'm pleased the speedo is sorted out. I sure feel for you guys in your winter. Here on the east coast where I am the winter is the best riding weather, we don't get much rain during our winter months and the average temp is around 8-10 C early morning warming to around 16c during the day. Great riding weather. If we venture inland away from the coast then the temps can drop quiet low like 2-3C overnight but still not too bad because it's normally dry and sunny and gets up to around 12C during the day. Then again with all the global warming and changes going on who knows what's going to happen. Been raining almost daily here now for the last two weeks so I been in the 4 wheel cage and dying to get on the bike/scoot, we closing for the holidays from 16th and reopen 4th Jan so I plan to do lots of riding, can't wait. Regards from sunny? no wet, Durban RSA.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()