Author Topic: Exhaust came loose  (Read 10461 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Exhaust came loose
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
First trip to work today on my new scoot (10 miles highway then 7 miles city). When I got to town the exhaust started to sound a little throaty. Sounded like something broke loose inside the muffler. It got louder til it sounded like a Harley went I pulled into the work parking lot. Lokked at the exhaust and the support bolt came out and the muffler is apparently only being supported by the two exhaust bolts to the engine. I plan on rebolting it today at lunch at the support bracket but I'm wondering how close I am to snapping those exhaust bolts. Looking for suggestions. I'll try and get some pics posted later this morning.

First day to show it off at work and this happens.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wayne

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust came loose
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
At first glance it doesn't look like the bolts to the engine are damaged (hopefully). What I did notice was that bolt supports the wheel also. F*CK!

Wayne

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
I'm no expert wayne. But I want to say that that right side swing arm is strictly cosmetic. I could be completely wrong though. Either way, bummer about exhaust.
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
I'm no expert wayne. But I want to say that that right side swing arm is strictly cosmetic. I could be completely wrong though. Either way, bummer about exhaust.

The right side rear shock is mounted to the swingarm. With it loose like that, it should have been a noticable change in handling, and a dangerous situation if it came off at a significant speed!

Some 50cc scoots with a single rear shock don't have the right side swingarm, but they are built for about half the load capacity. So they can get buy without it. A 150, or bigger, with dual shocks needs it for the extra support.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
I didn't notice any handing issues and was going 45mph. A coworker looked at it and the exhaust is cracked. You can kinda see where it's bent at the narrow silver heat shield. Gotta call the dealer today to see if it's under warranty. My guess is I'm F'ed cause I didn't take it to them for 200 mile service.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Wayne, I just went out and studied the suspension geometry on my twin rear shock LIKE...and I agree that this is now a safety issue. This bolt needs to be replaced before riding again.
I think partly what saved your bacon was that the arm was still kept in place by the collar in the bolt hole.
And, the pipe of the exhaust must surely have a kink in it somewhere behind that small heat sheild - for the pipe to droop so much now. Was the loud noise due to a crack in the pipe at the droop?
Sorry for your luck with this.
New owners - after you take delivery of your scooter, DO spend  a few minutes with various sized wrenches and sockets to check every nut, screw and bolt you can get to!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
The nut where the swingarm connects to the rear wheel and axle probably helped hold it together a bit too. But, I would definitely check the rear axle and make sure it is still straight now.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
I didn't notice any handing issues and was going 45mph. A coworker looked at it and the exhaust is cracked. You can kinda see where it's bent at the narrow silver heat shield. Gotta call the dealer today to see if it's under warranty. My guess is I'm F'ed cause I didn't take it to them for 200 mile service.
Well, see what they say.
Checking all the fittings is part of that 200 mile service. (maybe )
I'm thinking that (rather than coughing up $175 for a new exhaust) your fairly new pipe should be a good base for a repair....taking it off and handing it over to a shop for a small welding repair?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
A close up from your early video of your new scoot....
Does not look like the bolt is obviously loose.
Don't fault yourself too much. This should have been addressed in the set up fees charged by your dealer when they took it out of the crate.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »
I'm f*cking depressed and my stomach has been upside down all morning. I just went out again and it is snapped clean in half. I called the dealer and emailed him these pics. He said he'd check based on what I send him if it is a warranty issue. I'll be sure to bring up next time I talk to him that the setup fees should include bolt tightening. Otherwise the manual would say to check them every 200 miles right? Or am I pushing it by saying that?

Top view past oil dip stick.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:13:39 PM by wkreps »
Wayne

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Well look in your owners manual. If it says to tighten bolts then you should
have (or had someone else) tighten them. How many miles are on the scoot?
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Well look in your owners manual. If it says to tighten bolts then you should
have (or had someone else) tighten them. How many miles are on the scoot?

Page 19 of my owner's manual (LIKE200i)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
When you send the jacket, just wrap it around the scoot. I'll dispose of them correctly for you.

No, seriously I am sad to hear this. even worse is the fact I have never personally seen any mechanic ever at any service shop anywhere go over every nut/bolt on anything for any reason.

This is one of those things that just happen, and I am 100% certain your dealer will make it right. In fact I am just as certain he will go the extra mile, and go over everything else that might have been overlooked in the beginning. I'll bet if you bring in a tray of coffee, and a box of doughnuts he may even clue you in on how to get one of those "special" jackets I mentioned. :D

Don't sweat it. It's just a thing, and thank the old guy w/ the white beard floating on a cloud nothing serious happened. (Jerry Garcia is who I mean) 8)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 12:56:17 AM »
Well I sent the pics to the dealer this morning and I didn't hear anything back all day. (bad feeling inside) I decided to call him back about 10 minutes before they closed. It went something like this.

Dealer: I've been so busy today. Did you send me those pictures?
Wayne: Yeah I sent them right after we spoke.
Dealer: Well I can check it right now on my computer. Wayne . . . here they are.
Yeah, I've never heard of this before. It shouldn't have done that. You want to bring it in next Saturday and we'll get it taken care of.

Wayne: So did you want to do it while I wait?
Dealer: That's what you wanted right?
Wayne: Well, if that works, it will save me another 50 mile trip up there.
Dealer: I'll order the muffler, bolts, etc and we'll get it fixed up.
Wayne: What about the warranty? It's covered under warranty right?
Dealer: If Kymco doesn't cover it I'll take care of it myself. It shouldn't have done that.

Then we go into the details of ironing things out for confirmation of a Saturday visit. Well needless to say, my weekend just got a lot better. I must say I dodged a bullet here. I was fully prepared to have to pay for an exhaust or repair this one and it was making me sick. I'm 47 yrs old and I take care of things. This is my first two wheeled vehicle and I think my ignorance of the subject got the best of me on this one. Is there a newbie guide for folks around here?

HAPPY EASTER!
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 01:29:02 AM »
Is there a newbie guide for folks around here?

HAPPY EASTER!

Yeah. You're a member of it! There are no "newbies" here... Only members. Happy Easter Kreps
 You sure there was NOTHING in the jacket?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:31:18 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()