Author Topic: Drive belt replacement  (Read 18326 times)

olbull

• View Profile
Drive belt replacement
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
I  am  about to  replace  the  drive  belt  for  the second  time  as  I  approach  40k.. The replacement   I  used was  a KEVLAR belt,seems  its  has stretched  farther  and  shows  alot  more  wear  than  the  original  KYMCO  belt..(  I  always  carry  it  as  a spare)..This  falls  inline with  the  belt  results  from  the  Cannonball  run  of a  few  years  ago.Which  showed premature  failure from  the  KEVLAR  belts... I  am  also  going  to  replace  the clutch  shoes  and  springs  as  a  preventitive  maintenance    measure.. I  will  be  using   ALL  OEM  parts..

OlBull
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

kawzak

• View Profile
Re: Drive belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »
I have heard the same, and on several brands of scooters. It would seem that a Kevlar belt would be better-but too many people are having the same problems (breakage/wear) with them. Doesn't make sense does it. I work with a lot of machinery that uses the large toothed belts- like  giant timing belts, 1-1/4" to 2" wide and capable of 75 to 100+ HP. It seems like most of them are made with the Amirid fiber-like most "V" belts-and of course Scooter drive belts. I don't know this for sure-but the rubber coumpound may ??? stay vulcanized better to the Amirid fiber, as the belt failures I've see with Kevlar seem to have the fibers "loose" in the belt. This may just appear that way, but the Amirid fibered belts that have broken just break a ragged break. the Kevlar ones seem to unravel some instead.???

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
So how about the Dayco powerbelt? It's supposed to be Aramid fiber. I am about to change my drive belt. Again. More expensive than I expected, but still less than Burgman.

Anyone used the Dayco powerbelt?
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
I was thinking about changing mine, soon... about to hit 10,000km. Am I think too far ahead?  Still has the original belt, now.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
I was thinking about changing mine, soon... about to hit 10,000km. Am I think too far ahead?  Still has the original belt, now.

I think for OEM belt that's too soon.

In the shops here they tend to replace them at 12.000 kms. I do not know is it really necessary or just to charge you more...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
Replaced the original belt at 21,000 km and it was still within specs.  The Kymco replacement belt broke at 34,000 km, with only 13,000 km of use.  Figure that one out.  I sure can't. 
People 250
Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail Bags
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
more
2007 P250

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
Belts with Amarid cord/fibers are better and last longer won't come apart like the Kevlar belts. Also Reply to Bongoman- Dayco belts are excellent, as are Gates. Look on both their web sites. When you find the size you need (cross referance). Call a bearing house and ask them how much. You may save some money this way-depending where you live.

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
nice to see you back Kawzak.....Always get a little nervous when guys are'nt around for a while
2007 P250

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
Always get a little nervous when guys are'nt around for a while

..true...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
Glad to be back. We set up a production plant in Asia. Lots of teething problems.Too much work/not enough people. It's like going wide open with your hair on fire!. I will try to find the belts from Dayco and Gates. I know I looked at their sites/products when I first bought my P-250, but wasn't interested in buying when mine was new. I buy a lot of power transmission parts (brgs, timing belts,"v" belts, poly chains,chains,gears,etc., so I get to see lots of alternative and new stuff . Stuff anyone can purchase from the Bearing companies, all you need is a part #. I will do some homework.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »
...sweeeeeet...welcome back fo' sho!!!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:39 AM »
It wasn't too hard to find a Gates for my Xciting 500.  I went to the Gates website, plugged the Kymco number into their cross reference dealy and their equivalant number popped up. 

Then used their dealer locator and found at least two regular auto parts stores right here in town who were Gates dealers. 

One of em offered to order it for me right away and I had it in about 4 days.  About $30 bucks. 

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:36:43 AM »
Hi,

I determined the belt size to be 955x24x30mm. Still looking for a gates number. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks

anhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:50 AM »
This might work.

Google 1626V395 for Gates/Bando/GoodYear belt

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=32147

Anhoa
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:17:22 AM by anhoa »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()