Author Topic: belt problems  (Read 1375 times)

reg

• View Profile
belt problems
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
Hi all, still waiting for my 5g rollers. So out for a ride over to a friends place 21 miles each way, Rode there no problem a steady 41mph. Started out on the return okay got about 1 mile from my friemnds house and lost all drive. Engine still revving with the throttle but no movement. A smell of burning rubber soon convinced me that the drive belt had snapped. Luckily my friend has a van so we got the scoot back to his and quickly took off the cvt cover. Bits of frayed belt everywhere and the strangest thing was that the belt was inside out. The toothed side was now outermost. It was a bit chewed up but I guess thats from getting caught up in the kick starter mechanism. Replaced it with a 737 x 18 x 30 belt and the scoot now runs better than before.

the moral of this story is that a week or so ago when I was trying to start the engine without the cvt cover on the outside smooth side of the belt caught slightly and i mean slightly in the starter bendix . The damage was no more than a minor scuff so I convinced myself that it made no difference. Today has proved me very wrong! Next time I see any damge on my belts its going to be changed on the spot.

reg

• View Profile
Re: belt problems
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Well here I am again with a snapped/chewed belt. Moments before it went there was a slight scraping sound. Took the cvt cover off and there is no sign of rubbing on the inside of the cover. The kickstart 'half-moon' was polished along the bottom edge. I just cant figure out if this happened when the belt snapped or if it was the cause of the fault. How could the belt rub along the gear crescent ? Its as if the belt was out of line.

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
reg, as I know, belt shouldn't touch kick start half moon, bendix or cvt cover.
maybe belt pieces was flapping inside making marks everywere before it snapped. happened to me twice
took me half an hour of cleaning the pieces and sticky black dust

my advice:

-buy quality belt
-clean and lubricate torque driver for smooth operation regulary
-clean inside of cvt cover and variator system. you don't have to be thorough. compressed air works for me just fine
-when installing belt and tightening front variator nut, rotate variator a couple of times after tightening. 4 or 5 times should be ok. it's making belt to sit propperly
-check belt condition at regular basis. when removed, twist the belt inside out. if you see deep cracks between belt teeths, it's a sign the belt is at the end of a life

I hope this will help  :D

reg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
thanks for the info, i must admit the belts i have been using are the cheapest around. I guess its a false economy. Thinking back when i left home the scoot was rolling along at 45mph but as the journey progressed it got slower and slower before it finally snapped the belt. I had just changed to 5.5g rollers the day before and the scoot seemed to rev higher than before. Last week i fitted an a9 cam and a 1000 torque spring. My guess is that the light weight rollers and the stronger clutch spring caused the belt to slip. that would explain the strange noises before it snapped. When I think back the scoot was 'checking' itself as if the brake was rubbing now and again. So i reckon the light 5.5g rollers were not causing the variator to grip the belt enough. The belt was slipping and getting pretty hot in the process before it gave up.

Tomorrow I plan to put 8.5g  rollers in with a kevlar belt. Fingers crossed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()