Author Topic: 06 people 50 having issues since i bought it....  (Read 3513 times)

theresvictory

• View Profile
06 people 50 having issues since i bought it....
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:51 AM »
I bought a 2006 people 50. when i purchased it it ran fine about  a week later and not even 100 miles of driving it it began to have issues starting. it had a brand new battery. it grew worse as i drove it more i kept putting  premium gas in it. i took it to a mechanic who had put the battery in it and he said he cleaned the carb and also checked the spark plug ( i dont know if he really did it ) and when i went to get it said that i had to give it a littlegas before and as i started it..  it seemed to take a  long time to warm up and stay started...  well with in 1 day it wont start..  i dont know what is wrong with it. and i have called multiple places here in southern california and no one will look at it and or work on it for some reason...  does anyone know what i can do.. and or any mechanics in long beach area?

please help =o(

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: 06 people 50 having issues since i bought it....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »
These are simple, uncomplicated machines. For starters, put in a new spark plug. Do it yourself. It's easy! That way you know it's been done.

Incidentally, next time give us a bit more to work with. How many kilometers does it have on it? How does it run after it starts. Does it crank slowly? What if you use the kick starter? More info please. :)
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

theresvictory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
the mechanic was supose to have checked the sparkplug. it has 6000 km on it. it wont start at all now.. when it would start it would stall constantly everytime you stopped or let off the gas. and it would take longer and longer to get started before and now it wont start at all it sounds like it wants too soo it sounds like the starter is trying its hardest to start it but it wont. it wont even start with the kick start. anything else i need to say? lol ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
Try changing the fuel filter. As it fills w/ whatever it will gradually reduce the fuel flow. Same w/ air filter the more junk on the roads you ride the less air flow you will get. Sounds like the problem is in one or the other.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
I will try this one more time. Change the spark plug.
OldGuy

theresvictory

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
  like i said i was told that the spark plug was fine and i only drove it for 2 miles afterword.. and i will try to find a way to check it and replavce it myself..(dont have any tools)   the air filter is fine i checked that..  and i am not sure where the fuel filter is..  i cant seem to find a manual for this thing anywhere..  well not a free one and or one under 60.00..  ( i am with out a job right now soo i am trying to do this as cheap and or free as i can.) I really appreciate everyone helping me on here..  ??? ;D Thanks for all the help you are giving again it is appreciated!

theresvictory

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:56:33 AM »
ok soo i changed the sparkplug.. it was nasty..  arg that man lied BUT i added a lil oil.. and it seems to be running just fine.. Thank you!! you were right!!! lol   how often should i check and add oil?

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:51:26 AM »
you should be adding oil whenever it is low (their should be a little red light that lights up on your dash if you are indeed talking about the people 50 2 stroke) also, a little advice that was given to me about the oil is that you should try to stick to one brand. Some barands use different additives or something along those lines and therefore when u mix 2 brands some do not mix evenly or mix at all (like when you add water in oil). Also ( and this is highly debated) synthetic is apparently better because it handles heat better, personally i use shell synthetic 2 stroke oil because its what they have everywhere around my house so i know i will never run out and i have never had a problem. I always keep a bottle under my seat and have discovered that my scoot uses about one tank of oil every 750km riding at WOT most of the time.
Glad to hear you got it going again.

theresvictory

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
ok the light comes on when i turn on the ignition that is it it needed oil today and didnt come on but ill check it often.. when i bought it they gave me 2 quarts of the oil  they were using. kewl thanks again

luc1992

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
Oh yeah i forgot to mention, every time you turn the ignition on the oil light comes on because just like your fuel gauge it takes about 5 seconds for the level to get adjusted. therefore when you just turn the key it should light up. You should be adding oil when that light comes on while you are riding (typically it will come on when you brake because the oil in the tank moves forward so the floater in the center of the tank moves down, triggering the low oil sensor). This is a good time to add oil because it prevents you from ever running low. Remember that these scooter gauges are not 100% accurate so it is better to add oil before the light actually comes on. 

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
ok soo i changed the sparkplug.. it was nasty..  arg that man lied BUT i added a lil oil.. and it seems to be running just fine.. Thank you!! you were right!!! lol   how often should i check and add oil?
Okay, now you've learned that little lesson. Next lesson. When a 2 stroke scooter starts running badly the first thing you do is change the plug. Don't check it. Just change it. What appears to be a perfectly good plug can cause problems. Check the gap before installing it. (I know, "The man at the counter said they are pre-gapped." right? And the mechanic said(!) he checked the plug.)

A little more advice since you seem to be new to scooters. They go through spark plugs rather quickly. Keep a spare around. Keep the air filter clean. Check the tire pressures cold once a week at a minimum. Get and use your own gauge. Ride your scooter often. They don't like to sit. Use a good brand of gas. I prefer Chevron.

Last, before you need it find a Kymco dealer. Look here:

http://www.kymcousa.com/dealers/index_onroad.html
OldGuy

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()