Author Topic: Derestricted 2012 Like 50 2t - still slow  (Read 2831 times)

piratemcgee

• View Profile
Derestricted 2012 Like 50 2t - still slow
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
Hello all, I bought a Kymco Like 50lx 2t yesterday with 300 miles on it. The owner still had the lipless boss and 82 jet so I installed both of those. That brought my speed up from 25mph max to about 30mph max. However, it occasionally sputters from 4mph to 12ishmph. I rode a Genuine Roughhouse 50 and bone stock derestricted it hit 45mph so I would hope that there is more speed available on the like and am curious if there are other restrictions in place. If so how do I go about removing them? Any writeups/faq's?

This is my first scooter but I am mechanically inclined and have been working on cars/trucks for years.

My gf has the exact same model with a 70cc kit, variator w/ 6.5g weights, and technigas exhaust and it will do over 50mph and accelerates great. The Like in stock trim feels downright dangerously slow!

Since my gf and I both have Like 50lx's I plan on being around for a long time.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any/all help.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:31:18 PM by piratemcgee »

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
Re: Derestricted 2012 Like 50 2t - still slow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »
Firstly
Remove spark plug, clean and gap to 0.9mil and refit.
Remove the air filter, wash it gently in a small bowl of gasoline.
Wring it out gently. Dip it in two stoke oil then wring out the excess gently.
Refit air filter.

take the bike out and get it hot.
It must be hot before moving onto the next stage !

With the engine running, Park the bike on its centre stand on a block of wood to lift the rear wheel.
Locate the carburettor on the left hand side if the bike.

There are two screws located close together on it.
The highest one ( and the largest) is the idle. The lower is the air.

Turn the upper one fully clockwise (this allows more fuel in and your engine speed should rise)
Next turn the lower screw fully clockwise (to block the air) then turn it counter clockwise one full turn quickly to prevent the engine from stalling.

Continue turning the air screw counter clockwise and listen to the engine revs. Your aim is to make the engine rev as high as possible. Small adjustments of a quarter of a turn work well here, pausing for up to twenty seconds between adjustments to listen to engine speed.

eventually you allow too much air in and the revs will start to drop. You will then have to turn the air screw back the other way.
adjustments at this point can be very small, as little as 1/8 th of a turn. Find the spot where the bike revs highest..THEN turn the air screw 1/8 of a turn clockwise ( this is important as it makes the mixture slightly rich)
It's unlikely the revs will drop, but if they do, it will be something of nothing.
(i turn clockwise in very, very small increments until I hear just the slightest drop in speed)

Now turn the upper screw counter clockwise until the engine rev speed falls back down to regular tickover level.

Your mixture and tickover are now set. If the bike stalls in future then just turn the upper screw an eighth of a turn until it idles without stalling

Do this, then read this
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8269.0
Shave your boss by 2mm initially. Different bikes yes, but essentially the same way to get more speed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:10:46 AM by naughty lee »

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
I used to have a 2011 Kymco Like 50 2T and there was no air screw adjustment.  The hole where the air screw was plugged-up.  The Like 50 2T's are very heavily restricted, I suppose to pass CARB (Calif. Air Resource Board) requirements.  If I were you, I'd invest into changing out the carb to one that has a little bigger mm opening and an air screw adjustment.  Just my two cents with having some experience with one of these.  The stock pipe w/it's secondary air cleaner and the air box are quite restrictive as well.
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

245luigi

• Baltimore, MD, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
Derestricted only via the lipless boss and jet, I got the same results. My guess is because the scooter is so heavy. I put a tecnigas next r on my like and it zippppps just like your gfs. I dont think there is much you can do without changing the stock exhaust/carb/springs etc
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas NextR Exhaust
TinyTach in Headset
2011 Kymco Like50 (stolen -> recovered)
PM's OK!

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
If the carb cannot be adjusted, then see if a second hand one can be obtained that can. Have you had your variator apart snc marked if with ink yet ?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()