Author Topic: MXU500 Neutral Light always on ??  (Read 1930 times)

JimDirt

• View Profile
MXU500 Neutral Light always on ??
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »
No one answered my post on jetting , but i hope someone can answer this

I have a 08 Limited Edition Camo MXU500 , i have had it since new and used to work at a Kymco Dealer , so i have the Factory Service Manual PDF  , i have searched thru it and cant find what i am looking for , so i am hoping someone here will have a answer for me

Symptoms:
Started doing this today:
I was riding and i had to back up and turn around , i stopped , and put it in Reverse , and backed up , stopped , and went to shift it to H , and right before i grabbed the shifter i heard this electric motor noise , it sounded like my Winch running or a small screw gun  , it was coming from about the front of the motor maybe even the front differential  but i could not locate it positively with all the plastics on , it was a whirring noise , it did it when in Neutral , but once in gear it went away , back to Neutral and it would do it again  , then i shifted to H and the H light came on (and it went in gear normally) , BUT the Neutral light remained on , so i rode up to my little shop and pulled it in

I pulled the side covers off , and after looking at my PDF manual , i found the Gear Indicator Light Switch , i turned on the Ignition  and put it in H , and unplugged the Gear Light Switch  , the H light went out , but the Neutral Light remained on  , i plugged it back in and the H light came on , so i went back to my manual and searched the wiring diagram and could not find a Neutral Switch , with the exception of where it showed the Gear Selector Switch it showed a P,R,N,H,L , but as i stated , when i unplugged the switch the light remains on as long as the key is on , regardless of what gear it is in , so if its in H , it shows N and H lit up when plugged in , but when unplugged , the N still remains on , so that leads me to believe it is separate somewhere not listed in the manual that i could find

I removed the Gear Light Switch and found that for the gear indicator light in the dash to remain on for P,R,H,L the switch had to be grounded (when it is in the Tranny it is then grounded) , but with the switch removed from the motor (still plugged in) none of the P,R,H,L lights would come on in the dash , but the Neutral light remains on as long as the ignition is on

Has anyone ever encountered this ?? , does anyone have a clue where the Neutral light gets its power ? or is it strictly thru the Gear Indicator Light Switch   

The Whirring noise seemed to be the trigger for the light malfunction , but i does not make the noise now and the light is still malfunctioning  , i dont know why the noise stopped since i got it in my shop , but i now can't trace the noise since it has not re-occurred , but it did it 4-5 times before i rode it to the shop

ANY help would be appreciated !!  , Thanks....Jim
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:50:36 PM by JimDirt »

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: MXU500 Neutral Light always on ??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Well this is from the MXU250 service manual, maybe it will help you diagnose this problem?
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

JimDirt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
The only issue with that is there is no mention of another switch in the Service Manual , as well as the Wiring Diagram shows nothing except for the Gear Indicator Light Switch

JimDirt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
UPDATE:
I used my Power Probe and started tracing  wires   , what i found is that all the wires that go to the Gear Indicator Light Switch are Ground wires , as i could use the probe and get each light to light up (P,R,H,L) with the switch unplugged (at the source side not the switch side) and the ignition switch on , but it did nothing to the Neutral light which stayed on the entire time the ignition was on , , i found a "Clutch Diode" which seems to be some kind of relay , and traced the wires which are tied to the Neutral wire but even with the Diode unplugged , the light remained on as long as the ignition was on , and touching the Probe to it changed nothing

So from what i am gathering there seems to be a open ground or something causing the light to stay on , but using the Ground Function of the Power Probe , it changes nothing , which is confusing as it SHOULD have made the light go out when i hit the Ground button, but from looking at the wiring diagram the wire goes from the indicator light , to the Gear Indicator Switch , to the Clutch Diode , i have not figured out what the power source is yet , or where any other connection or junction linked to the Switch is other than what i listed

I did send a Email to Kymco to see if i can get some assistance from them directly as well

JimDirt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:47:48 AM »
I went ahead and ordered a new Gear Indicator Light Switch , with shipping it was $38.00  at Chaparral Motorsports www.chaparral-racing.com  , so i am hoping this solves the issue  , i am guessing that the way its wired the N contact of the switch has to be grounded WHEN the other gears are selected , so if the switch is faulty it might not be grounding , since i also noticed that the L light does not light up with the switch connected but if i use my Power Probe and ground each selection , it will light up the L light , so i have ruled out most every other scenario in my troubleshooting   , once i get the switch (in a week or so) i will report back with my findings , if its not that then i dont know what else it could be , and i have not heard back from Kymco yet , so that is why i went ahead and ordered the switch , unless the instrument panel went bad i dont know what else to try
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:55:59 AM by JimDirt »

JimDirt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
OK i got a Email back from Kymco , and the Tech said to disconnect the light green/red wire that goes to the Instrument Cluster , if the light goes out then its the Clutch Diode  , so i did that and the light stayed on (with the gear selector in R , then H) , so its the Instrument Panel that is the issue   , so i cancelled the order for the Gear Selector Switch   , i will have to wait on the Panel as it is $98.00 , so it will have to wait , since there is no safety issue with the light being on (i will cover it with Electrical tape for the time being)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()