Author Topic: Brake Pad Upgrade  (Read 1565 times)

az_slynch

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
Brake Pad Upgrade
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
I recently took my Yager in to have the front rotor looked at again. The scoot had an annoying habit of letting the pads drag on the rotor after the brakes were released; the pad material was overhanging the rotor and snagging on the rotor when the brake was released. Nothing like having your front brake squeaking/squealing from 0-25 off of a light.

I'd bought some uprated pads prior to this issue, but was saving them to the warranty end. The mechanic offered to install those to avoid the downtime on the bike while waiting or warranty parts. Wow, what a difference! I'm taking it back this afternoon to have a set fitted to the rear.

The pads are EBC HH sintered pads. The part code is FA197HH, one pad set per-rotor. The set will fit the front or rear brake; price ranges betweek $25 and $36, depending on where you shop. Yager brakes are pretty darn good as-is, but these pads manage to take stopping power up another notch. Have 'em bleed the brakes while they're in there for best results. Good news is, these pads work on the Ninjettes and a lot of other small bikes, so the won't get scarce anytime soon.

In the interest of full disclosure, it's killing me a little to not wrench on my bike. I'm just trying to keep it all on the up for warranty purposes. Good thing I have a bunch of other scooters to wrench on.
'01 Super Fever ZX 50
'05 Bet 'n Win 250
'10 Yager GT200i
'12 Yager GT200i
'16 K-Pipe 125
'18 Spade 150 stolen April 2020

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Re: Brake Pad Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »
I put the EBC's on mine also, the stock pads suck

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
I put the Kevlar Carbon pads on mine. After bedding them in a bit, they've got good grab, and seem to be nearly impervious to wear. If you use them, just be sure to remember that when new, they have less grab than the stock pads... you have to bed them in properly, and you have to thoroughly clean the brake disc before using the new pads (to remove any brake dust from the old pads). They also have a more linear grab, whereas the stock pads had a more progressive grab.

D2Moto, Inc  Front & Rear Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads - 2010 Kymco Yager GT200i
Volar Motorsport VMFA197 brake pads
Sold by D2Moto Item # SPM503194814  Mfr. Model #2xVBP0573a

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
Very good info.  Thanks for posting.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk