Author Topic: Starts bad when engine cold and lacks power.  (Read 2520 times)

jarno83

• View Profile
Starts bad when engine cold and lacks power.
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
Hi, I have problem with my ag 50. When engine cold it's hard to get it started with starter. It starts from kick, but lacks power til the engine is warm. With warm engine it starts very well from starter. I have changed plug, filters and oil. I also charged battery.

Any thoughts?

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Starts bad when engine cold and lacks power.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
To some extent the one I used to have always behaved like that when the weather was cooler than mid-50s, maybe got a little worse as it aged. (09 model,  which I managed to put 14k km on before I sold it) The more you ride it,  the less of a problem this is, as it was much more pronounced if it wasn't being ridden daily - definitely a scoot that doesn't like to sit still.

I just got into the habit of always starting it on the centerstand, if it didn't start after a few seconds cranking then one kick would usually do it, then let it warm up while I put my gear on.

jarno83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
It strange  ??? It must be fault of something. Maybe valves or fuel mixture? It should start without a problem even when engine is still cold. Maybe mixture is to rich because with cold engine it uses automatic choke also and that's to much petrol maybe? And if the engine gets warm it stops the choke and mixture is ok again.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:52:40 AM »
Thats the kymco worm up nothing to worry about they do that in the cold weather. Best to let it runn for a while befor rideing.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
Oil viscosity is also a factor... higher viscosity oil flows slow when cold...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
Oil viscosity is also a factor... higher viscosity oil flows slow when cold...

True that I use thinner oil in the colder weather. summer sits in I go back to the thicker oil.

bostonscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
You do oil changes for the seasons? I guess if you time it right in spring/fall it goes naturally but damn, I just throw 10W-40 full synth in mine and don't look back.

Do you guys think that "motorcycle 4T oil" is just marketing or legit?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:20 AM »

Do you guys think that "motorcycle 4T oil" is just marketing or legit?

1.  Motorcycle 4T oil (usually JASO MA rating for wet clutch) - not too slippery to prevent clutch slipping.  Motorcycle specific.

2.  Scooter specific 4T oil (Usually JASO MB rating for scooters / dry clutch) - has friction modifiers and is a low friction oil meaning it's more slippery than the above.  Scooters have a separate oil for gears, motorcycles don't.

3.  Automotive (gas) oil - No problem if used in scooters but not to be used in motorcycles with wet clutch. 

4.  Automotive (diesel) oil - Has higher detergent additives... Also no problem if used in scooters.

What we must be aware of are the Synthetics that are not really "real" synthetics. These are marketing hypes... 

bostonscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:39 AM »
Thank you, that is helpful. Seems like I'm safe. Cold weather rider at times but I saw some 4T 10W40 Motorcycle oil so I picked that up instead of the usual 10W40 car oil.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:54 AM »
Thank you, that is helpful. Seems like I'm safe. Cold weather rider at times but I saw some 4T 10W40 Motorcycle oil so I picked that up instead of the usual 10W40 car oil.

for your motorcycle I presume, not scooter?

jarno83

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
I don't think that it has much to do with oil. Today it's +15 deg. C outside and still didn't start from starter but went from first kick? After 15 min driving it starts like a dream. It cools down and  then it's problem with starting from starter again.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
it might be time for the valves to be re sit. try siting both at .03 they say .02 and .04 but I have been doing mine at .03 for 4 years now and my scoot is stell running strong.

bostonscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »
for your motorcycle I presume, not scooter?

No, for my Agility 50... *rereads thread, scratches chin*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()