Author Topic: Purchasing a new scooter  (Read 2599 times)

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Purchasing a new scooter
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
Ok, here is my dilema, I'm either going with a Kymco People GT 300i or a Piaggio BV 350. I'm leaning towards the BV 350. They both will do highway speeds with no problem and then some, both get in the range of 65 mpg, but the Piaggio has a 3.4 gallon fuel tank vs the Kymco's 2.4.

Any thoughts? I like both, they are comparable in price, the Piaggio is a few hundred dollars more, so no big deal there.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Purchasing a new scooter
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:19:31 AM »
Availability of Parts? Cost of Parts? Customer Service? After Sales Service? Reliability of Scooter? Resale Value? Buying is just the first step...

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
From what I've read anyone who bought either was pleased.  I think the BV is a slightly better
machine but would buy the Kymco as cheaper and easier to maintain.

The labor for working on Vespa's is $120 per hour and you have to balance the machine with
the rear shocks removed and lower the rear wheel to get to the head bolts for a valve adjust
on the BV. It would probably cost $500 to get them adjusted or you might drop the thing trying
to do it yourself.

I had an Aprilia and every part I needed had to be ordered from Italy and took months to get....
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
thanks for the inputs, yea i read about getting parts for the Piaggio

i plan on doing my own service, as always, also plan on keeping the Yager...just wanted something with more power, problem is, i haven't found any Piaggio's in stock at any of the 3 dealers in New Mexico

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
That's a tough decision.
Maintenance will be my main concern.

Did you try both?
If you do services yourself, I would go with the one you like the most (seating comfort, price, etc....).
I sat on both and the BV feels more solid to me. Nice seat. Bigger trunk. Nice color schemes too (silver/red) and decent windshield.

Apparently, the maintenance intervals on the BV are every 6000 miles.... That's nice!

For parts, ask a Piaggion dealer if he has basic parts in stock and their prices, that should give you an idea of the availability.

Let us know what you decided ;-)

Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
Dave: When you buy a Piaggio, the retail price might be somewhat close, but it doesn't stop there my friend. 1st...Many Kymco dealers will "wheel & deal" with pricing. Piaggio will not. Also...wait til' you get the BV350 set up, freight & doc fees & try not to fall out of your seat. As many posters have mentioned....Labor rates are $35.00-$40.00 more an hour, parts can be a complete horror story.

Do I like the BV350? You bet. Better looking then my GTi300 by a country mile, but the dealer is 40+ miles away & I laughed @ them when they informed me about their fees. I walked out & scored the GTi300 that day. They called me back the next day & told me they would waive the $220.00 doc fee. I told them...too late, bought a Kymco. 
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
Dave: When you buy a Piaggio, the retail price might be somewhat close, but it doesn't stop there my friend. 1st...Many Kymco dealers will "wheel & deal" with pricing. Piaggio will not. Also...wait til' you get the BV350 set up, freight & doc fees & try not to fall out of your seat. As many posters have mentioned....Labor rates are $35.00-$40.00 more an hour, parts can be a complete horror story.

Do I like the BV350? You bet. Better looking then my GTi300 by a country mile, but the dealer is 40+ miles away & I laughed @ them when they informed me about their fees. I walked out & scored the GTi300 that day. They called me back the next day & told me they would waive the $220.00 doc fee. I told them...too late, bought a Kymco.

thanks for the info, and basically the same thing I experienced, and they were doing that on the 300i also, dealers around here are nuts, there is a kymco dealer south of here that is better

i haven't upgraded yet

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
What about waiting for the Honda 300 ?   http://www.ratemotorcycle.com/honda-nss-300-forza-2013

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »
What about waiting for the Honda 300 ?   http://www.ratemotorcycle.com/honda-nss-300-forza-2013

Scoot safely,

seriously that's like riding around in a boat lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()