Author Topic: How to; Upgrade horn to an air horn  (Read 2383 times)

91cavgt

• View Profile
How to; Upgrade horn to an air horn
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
We all know how anemic the stock horn is.  Unless someone has their windows down, is stopped, and is listening for your horn, no one can hear it.  So, how do you upgrade it so that others can not only hear it, but when they hear it they think it is from a much larger vehicle so they get out of your way?  You install an air horn, and here is how you do it. 

Here's the anemic stock horn;

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/91CavGT/media/KymcoLike200i007_zps622468a7.mp4.html

I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their dual tone air horn setups.  It ran me about $15 for it. 

First remove the stock side panels under the floor board along with the batter cover.  Then remove the front panel to gain access to the stock horn. 

The horn is the round metal object on the right side.  Now you need to unplug the 2 wires that are located on the bottom of the horn.

Now you need to lengthen the wires so you can run them to the battery compartment.  I like to use the right connectors so that way I can always return the scooter back to stock if need be, and this also makes things look cleaner with no cut wires.  So, plug the new wires in and tape them up to help prevent them from coming undone.

Now run the wires into the battery box, putting crimp ends on the other side and plug these two wires into a relay in to 85 and 86 on the relay like this;

There is a perfect spot in the stock battery box that the relay fits down into VERY nicely and it keeps it out of the way.  This spot would be under your left foot when sitting on the scoot.  Unfourtunately, I did not take a picture showing it. 

Now here is the spot where you may do things differently.  Here is how I mounted the air compressor and air horns.

Now loosen the positive battery terminal and before you remove it, double a zip tie and put it under the nut inside the terminal.  This will make reinstalling the bolt MUCH easier. 

Now you will connect a wire up to this terminal, once again with good crimp on terminals, to a fuse holder.  Coming out of the fuse holder, run the wire to the terminal numbered 30. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

91cavgt

• View Profile
Re: How to; Upgrade horn to an air horn
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
Now here is where you can do things differently than me. 

Under the right hand side of the floor board, I mounted the pump and one of the air horns like this;

On the left side of the scoot, I mounted the other air horn like this under the floor board;

You need to be careful mounting anything on this side because the side stand comes up and may hit the horn.  The side stand just touches the air horn on mine;

Once it is all mounted up, you need to hook up the air pump.  The positive wire will be ran to the 87 connection on the relay.  I wired the ground wire directly to the ground terminal on the battery.  Once again, use the zip tie trick to make it easier to put the bolt back on the battery. 

Now that it is all wired up, turn the ignition on and try hitting the horn now.  Here is what mine sounds like now;

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/91CavGT/media/KymcoLike200i019_zpsea2ae992.mp4.html

Once you ensure it works, put the body panels back on.  Now you can ride with the warm feeling knowing that you will scare someone if they cut you off. 

If you get everything connected and the horn blows all the time accept when you hit the horn button then move the wire going to the air compressor from the 87 spot on the relay to the 87a.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:31:22 PM by 91cavgt »
2012 Like 200i  in black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()