Author Topic: 2 Downtown questions  (Read 2170 times)

kobusfer

• View Profile
2 Downtown questions
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:00:49 PM »
1.  I almost accidentally hit the kill switch the other day while doing 120kmph.  If this did happen, would I be able to restart while on speed or rather stop to do this?  I am particularly worried about the gearbox and not sure how this will respond to high speeds from 0.

2.  The under seat space is great, but would be so much better if the piece of plastic where the second helmet is suppose to go, could be flat.  Is there anything beneath the big mole preventing one from trimming it down?  Has anyone cut this away yet?

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: 2 Downtown questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
Not sure about the CVT transmission and the kill switch.
On a manual transmission, the exhaust system usually fills with unburned gas/air mixture and
produces a major BOOM when you restarted the engine... not recommended.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Downtown questions #2 dome for helmet removal
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:38 AM »
   yes I cut the dome out, and I found that the foam is dense enough to hold its shape, I still have room for a full face helmet, just dont sit on the seat with the helmet in there,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »
Stop and restart the engine... speed of scoot must match the engine.. If you start the engine while scoot is at high speed, initial engine rpm might not match scoot speed and you might break something in there... or may cause engine braking that may cause loosing control of the scoot.... like all is saying... Ride Safe!

kobusfer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
Thank you everyone for replying.  Appreciate all the help.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
1. Just turn the kill switch back to "ENGINE RUN". You won't kill anything, and the engine starts back up on its own. The gearbox is still varying ratios, and the engine is still being driven at road speed by the tires, clutch and transmission. The only thing flipping the switch to "ENGINE KILL" does is turn off the ignition and possibly fuel. Flipping it back to RUN simply turns the ignition and gas back on.

Now I don't recommend flipping the kill switch on and off for fun at high speed. But it's not the end of the world if you do it once.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
dosnt the clutch stay ingaged at speed if you feel engine compression when you close the throttle it would be the same when you hit the kill switch, the thing to worry about is gas fumes in exhaust that could blow your exhaust too hell,.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »
Air is still moving through the engine if you're in gear. The speed of the road wheel is still turning the engine and moving gas mixture through. Gas mixture doesn't sit and build up just after the exhaust for very long. I've never had a problem with restarting an engine on the move before.

But your mileage may vary depending on your vehicle and its state of tune/repair!
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
   rereading your question , your talking about bottem of meti box at the front. you would be opening the box to outside air , and lots of dirt, and what s in the box could fall on your engine,.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()