Author Topic: Xciting 500 carb tuning  (Read 3987 times)

Caribbean

• View Profile
Xciting 500 carb tuning
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
Hey guys,
I live on St. Croix US Virgin Islands. Came upon a 2006 xciting 500 that had been parked for 2 years. 2900 miles. Bought it and took a bit of fuel system cleaning to get her going. Have put 500 miles on her now and love it. It will never see more than 70 mph as we only have one 4 lane rd that is perhaps 10 miles long. Most of the time it's 40-55.
Do not care for the Oem  Kenda and am getting a Michelin pilot for rear. Am going to a unifilter, any comments on rich or lean problems with this?  We do have 100 degree weather in the summer, but this baby has a fantastic cooling system on it. Also, who has paint codes on kymco? Thanks

ce

• View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 carb tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:04 AM »
Your stock main jet is 118, so you might have to upjet to a 120 or a 122, or even a 125 if you get a free flow air filter.

I kept my filter stock, but put on a Leo Vince 4 Road exhaust and it was running lean and hot, so I jumped up to a 125, but had to lean off the idle mix or it would pop on decceleration. It's still too rich, but mostly because I'm at 5300 feet elevation.

Since you're at sea level you can run a lot richer, as long as you get comensurate performance,  and the only way to find out is trial and error.

It's pretty easy to change jets, there's a fuel bowl drain screw on the carb, empty the bowl, loosen the fore and aft clamps, loosen the airbox, and invert the carb to remove the fuel bowl. You may have to disconnect a couple vac lines, but not the throttle or the fuel line.

You'll build confidence after you do it, but be advised that all the tuning is more for fun than anything else, the engineers at Kymco got their machine pretty close to optimal.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

TeamTEOR2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:24 PM »
Any suggestions on where to start for Scottsdale, Arizona's climate with an altitude of 1500 feet? My 2007 Xciting is also running a 4road, and the guy who tested my emissions recently stated that I am really running lean, and that I might start burning the valves if I let it continue.

Here are the readings from my emissions report:
Hydrocarbons in PPM = 54, Idle Standard 1800 (Passed)
Carbon Monoxide (CO) in % = 0.15, Idle Standard 5.50 (Passed)

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »
I bet you'd do well with a 122 or a 122.5 main jet, with the temps as hot as you have there.

At your elevation even the 125 wouldn't be too rich.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

TeamTEOR2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
So the next question is where do I get the jets from? I've tried to reach out to Kymco USA, but they don't return email or Facebook posts.

My local dealer said that they could richen it up, but didn't want to quote me shop time or parts off hand. So I had no idea what they were planning on doing (drill bit through the jet, etc).

Also, is there a way for me to understand how lean my readings were? I have no clue what a normal reading is on the carbed Xciting with the stock pipe on it.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »
Go to jetsrus and get the Keihin jets, about $7 plus shipping, or you can get some on ebay.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

TeamTEOR2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
Go to jetsrus and get the Keihin jets, about $7 plus shipping, or you can get some on ebay.
Great, I'll do that. When I order the 122 main jet, will I also need to get a slightly larger idle jet as well, or is that not needed? Also are all of the Keihin jets compatible or is there a certain type for the Xciting Carb?

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
Keihin jets are the same as Harley's, round 5mm with a 6 mm slot head.

The pilot jet is good as it is, it should be a 40, and it'll be marked.

It's easy to disconnect the air intake, empty the fuel bowl with the drain screw on the right of the carb, you'll see the tube coming off of it, pull the carb free and flip it over to expose the fuel bowl screws. Open it up, et voila, the float and the jets are right there. Switch the main jet, clean and inspect, button it back up and hook it all back up.

It's kinda tight, but you shouldn't need to take the fuel line off.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()