Author Topic: Brake Pad Removal A125 - HELP!  (Read 4807 times)

MrKymco

• View Profile
Brake Pad Removal A125 - HELP!
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »
hello its your good 'bud MrKymco  ;D

I am replacing my pads and can't seem to get them off. i have looked in the owners and service manual and see no instructions? Maybe my manual is a bit out of date? But anyway I cannot get 'em out!

Been following youtube vids where you squeeze the thing one way real hard and the pads pop out. But it's not an A125. I tried this a lot and while it did look as if the pad came close to coming off the hinge, close is not good enough. And even so the other side seemd as secure as ever as if the pads were not even close to popping out. Then a neighbor decided to come along and squeeze the brake lever and the pads came even closer together and would not budge. I got 'em separated and tried the squeeze thing again, but no go.

Ok, so I also saw on youtube a guy with a China scoot and he had to use an allan wrench to remove two screws to get his pads out. I looked closely at the outer part of the calipar / pad holder housing thing and it seems to have these two "screws."  Do I need to removed these (if thats what they are?) to get the pads out?  Also, since the dude came along and squeezed the brake lever the calipar pistons appear fully extended. Is this going to be a problem with removal / replacement of pads?

Any and all help / instructions is appreciated.

Thanks!

MrKymco

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:43:27 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

MrKymco

• View Profile
Re: Brake Pad Removal A125 - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »
man, where is Axy when you really need him? or Cortez or blue? hell, i'd take a monkey with a wrench at this point

c'mon, guys!
scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
Sorry MrKymco, I'd like to help but I have a different scoot... ;D  Were you able to remove the whole caliper assembly off the front fork?

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »
yes Vivo, thank you. all is detached from the rotor. one way of doing it is apparently like this guy does it at 2:18. he just squeezes and they pop out. its what i tried as its said on the vid to work with the People models

the other way is like this at 1:40. looking closely at my own it does LOOK like the same set up. but being this is my first time doing this i want to be 100% certain

scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:44 AM »
Can you see any brake pad pins holding the brake pads?    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/393386/Kymco-Agility-125-Service-Manual.html?page=134

May look like this....

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:28:54 AM by Vivo »

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:01 AM »
YES! that is exactly what they are. and now i know what brake pad pins look like  :P

and thank you for the link. i could not find anything like it and i did look!

ok so tomorrow i am back at it. anything else to add by yourself or anyone else, plz feel free! i am a bit concerned about the pistons being fully extended, but suppose once the pads are out it can be dealt with

and THANKS once more  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:45:39 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:29 AM »
You're welcome! Now, I also know how to do it!   ;D ;D ;D

Maybe you can do some cleaning of the pistons before installing new pads...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:49:57 AM by Vivo »

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
things do look dusty / grimy all around. i am going to research cleaning the particular parts and pieces before i get started again. i don't want to disassemble anything to do a pro job as i am not a pro. but anything i can safely clean with all intact i will. pretty sure i am not supposed to just start spraying brake cleaner all over, though. i think brake lube / compound is recommended for the back plates of the pads, too

scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »
Brake lube or Brake Anti-squeal or Disc Brake Quiet....  this is to prevent vibrations that causes brake squeal..

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
got the pads in the mail today. gonna get it done first chance tomorrow. hopefully all goes well, will post back when job is complete and say how all went :)
scoots!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
1. You need to remove two pins (similar to ones Vivo posted in the picture).

2. I have a caliper widening tool: http://cdn.diytools.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/400x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/r/draper-52335-expert-1-2-square-drive-caliper-piston-retraction-tool.jpg .

Depending on the setup of your calipers and the thickness of the pads when you replace them (the more worn out the worse), you might not be able to retract calipers back enough to insert the pads. When I changed pads on my gf's A125, I had to use it.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
thank you axy :)

the pads are very worn, yes. the new ones don't seem real thick, but the caliper piston(s) is fully extended it would seem. i don't know if thats bad, but i saw someone use a clamp on youtube to push the pistons down and out of the way. so i can do that because i have a clamp.

the widening tool? well i'll get one just in case. if they have one at the auto parts store this morning?  i will be able to begin work in around two hours. i will post back when done or if i have any troubles

thanx once more!!
scoots!

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
found this. at 3:05 this guy makes space with his thumbs?

oh well. auto parts is not open yet but i am going to start the job. at least i will know what i need or not by the time they open
scoots!

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
its all done!!  ;D

Vivo, i can't thank you enough! and Axy your info was great and helped me understand and investigate what needed to be done with the pistons

guys i tell you it was pretty much smooth sailing except for removing those pins! they would not budge! but patience and a little elbow grease paid off

now, a 30 mile ride! woo-hoo!

scoots!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
its all done!!  ;D

Vivo, i can't thank you enough! and Axy your info was great and helped me understand and investigate what needed to be done with the pistons

guys i tell you it was pretty much smooth sailing except for removing those pins! they would not budge! but patience and a little elbow grease paid off

now, a 30 mile ride! woo-hoo!

;D ;) :) :) :P 8)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()