Author Topic: Kickstart only moves ~2 inches. After a few tries it works, then stops again.  (Read 2998 times)

AgilityOnAnRV

• View Profile
My electric start works just fine, but in recent cold weather it took a number of tries before the engine started. I tried starting the engine with my kickstart (which hasn't been used in many months) and the kickstarter would only move downward an inch or two, getting stuck at that point. After trying to kick a number of times (usually 3-10 times) the kickstarter finally goes through its full range of motion. Kick again a few seconds later and it's usually back to getting stuck again. With a few full-range-of-motion kicks the engine does start.

I pulled the kickstarter mechanism today and used carb cleaner to get all of the gunk out. There was a lot. The teeth on the gears looked to be in fine shape and I lubricated the mechanism. Previously the kickstarter hadn't been smoothly returning to the top position but today's cleaning fixed that completely. The original problem, however, has not gone away.

Ideas?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
I normally put a little lubricant or oil on my kickstart mech after i clean it out. They do tend to sieze up with belt dust etc if not used regularly.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

AgilityOnAnRV

• View Profile
I normally put a little lubricant or oil on my kickstart mech after i clean it out. They do tend to sieze up with belt dust etc if not used regularly.

I lubricated the mechanism after cleaning it. There is just one sticking point (really a "stopping point") about 1" - 2" down where 80% of the time the lever will not go past. The mechanism is totally smooth prior to and beyond that point.

streido

• View Profile
I lubricated the mechanism after cleaning it. There is just one sticking point (really a "stopping point") about 1" - 2" down where 80% of the time the lever will not go past. The mechanism is totally smooth prior to and beyond that point.

Did you take the whole kickstart mech out of the case? If you re-installed it the teeth may not be aligned as the should be so restricting the range of movement. Or you got bad or damaged teeth on the half moon or the bit that engages onto the half moon.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

AgilityOnAnRV

• View Profile
Did you take the whole kickstart mech out of the case? If you re-installed it the teeth may not be aligned as the should be so restricting the range of movement. Or you got bad or damaged teeth on the half moon or the bit that engages onto the half moon.

I didn't take the whole mechanism out of the case. Would I be able to see the damaged teeth without removing the mechanism from the case, or is my next step to take the whole thing apart and inspect it more closely?

streido

• View Profile
I didn't take the whole mechanism out of the case. Would I be able to see the damaged teeth without removing the mechanism from the case, or is my next step to take the whole thing apart and inspect it more closely?

If its an Agility the same as mine then you can take off the cvt cover and press on the engager bit (circular bit that makes with the variator to crank engine) to stop it falling out while you operatete kickstart with your other hand to see if it all moves freely or not. If i remember you have to push the kickstart lever all the way down then re-install the engager bit, then when you let go of the kickstart lever it will pull in the engager bit as the lever goes back up.  Hope you understand that cos i dont and i just wrote it lol.  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
Remove the side casing, you will need an assistant and a soft mallet. Have the assistant hold the casing whilst you jar the kickstart and tap the spigot with a soft mallet.

Once the spigot is out, clean up the teeth with a stiff brush and rake out the hole it sits in. Then lightly grease the teeth on the spigot.
Give the teeth on the kickstart half plate a clean and then lightly grease the teeth.

The spigot has a clip that fits around it into a groove, clean and grease this. If the clip cannot spin freely, the kickstart will jam.

Have your assistant pull the kickstart fully down then reinsert the spigot into its hole, ensure the clip sits over the short locating shaft( which is clean and lightly greased) then have your assistant slowly release the kickstart . As the kickstart tension is released, The spigot should spin on its clip whilst the clip simultaneously slides down it's short locating shaft. The height of the spigot will drop at the same time.

Now reassemble the side casing to the bike. Don't over tighten the casing bolts for christs sake.

It's a bit of a fiddly dick on, but now that everything is clean and lightly lubricated, it'll work fine
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:16:04 AM by naughty lee »

AgilityOnAnRV

• View Profile
Remove the side casing, you will need an assistant and a soft mallet. Have the assistant hold the casing whilst you jar the kickstart and tap the spigot with a soft mallet.

Once the spigot is out, clean up the teeth with a stiff brush and rake out the hole it sits in. Then lightly grease the teeth on the spigot.
Give the teeth on the kickstart half plate and lightly grease.

The spigot has a clip that fits around it into a groove, clean and grease this. If the clip cannot spin, the kickstart will jam.

Have your assistant pull the kickstart fully down then reinsert the spigot into its hole, ensure the clip sits over the short shaft( which is clean and lightly greased) then have your assistant slowly release the kickstart . The spigot should spin on its clip whilst the clip simultaneously slides down it's short locating shaft.

It's a bit of a fiddly dick on, but once everything is clean and lightly lubricated, it'll work fine

Problem solved! Thank you!

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
You are welcome buddy, I've modified the wording slightly on my original post, just to make things clearer
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:17:17 AM by naughty lee »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()