Author Topic: '09 People S50 4t: How to derestrict CDI and other tweaks and upgrades  (Read 6069 times)

nc64

• View Profile
Hi Guys,
I've going through this forum for the last 2 days. WOW. Great forum...but I must be a bit slow (like my S50) cause I can't seem to find a "how to" to derestrict the CDI on my scoot. I have my S50 for 2 years now and love it...but...I'm pretty frustrated with the top speed. Acceleration is so-so but If I had to chose, I'd go for a better top end. Can't get it to go faster than 56-57 Km/h at the moment and from what I've been reading on this forume, a derestricted CDI should get me closer to 65-70 Km/h range. Anyways...can anybody post a "how to" or some pics that will get me started.
Thanks !

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: '09 People S50 4t: How to derestrict CDI and other tweaks and upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum! :)

We don't get to many s50's through here, but if it's anything like most other newer KYMCO models the CDI may not be restricted in the traditional sense. Most older CDI's are restricted with a rev limiter. It seems in recent years they're not restricted to a certain RPM range, but restricted with ignition timing. I don't know if this is confirmed for sure, it's just a theory at this point. The theory is the CDI retards the ignition timing at high RPMs. Really the only way around this is to purchase a custom cdi or use one from an older model and remove the rev limiter.

Let me tell you my little story. I bought my '10 Peop 50 2t brand new and went at it doing my homework on derestricting it. The three major things I found were the CDI, the variator boss, and a larger main jet. On older models you unplug the green wire with a bullet type connector coming off the CDI. So that's one of the first things I did. Two years later somebody posts something here about how the green wire does nothing. Out of curiosity I plugged the green wire back in. Mind you at this point I have a 70cc BBK and several other performance parts on my scoot. To my surprise I could still reach my top speed of about 55 mph. So all along having the green wire unplugged did nothing. I still don't know what it really does.  ??? Keep in mind Mine is a 2t yours is a 4t, not to mention yours is a year older as well. Yours could very well be completely different.

First things first, what does your cdi look like? Take a pic and post it (don't frustrate yourself trying attach it onto the post  :D. Use photobucket.com It's free and easy, just copy and paste the image code)  Does the CDI have a green wire with bullet connector on it? If so, give it a shot, see if it makes a difference. If not don't get discouraged yet. The CDI may not be the limiting factor (at this point anyway  ;))

Is the scooter basically stock? If not, what have you done to it?

One trick I learned is a slightly longer belt can get you a few extra mph's.

There is one more restriction that has recently been discovered in these newer models as well. Don't know if you've dug into to the CVT yet, but let me assume you haven't. Basically there is two pulleys and a belt in there. Like a bicycle chain and gears, as you accelerate the belt moves up higher on the front pulley and lower on the rear pulley. That rear pulley has a restriction that doesn't allow the belt to move all the way down to the bottom. Solving the problem? New rear pulley... Should I say an old rear pulley  :D. Supposedly you can order one for a zx50 and it will work with mine anyway. Not sure about the s50. Now it's not really a problem for me until I get up above 50 mph, so I've just left it alone for the time being. Yours could be different, I don't know. I kinda doubt this is your problem but you should be aware.

You could have a combination of issues or it could be your just not making enough power. They really restricted these newer models. Including tiny main jets and exhaust that isn't worth a sh**. Tuning the CVT with lighter/heavier rollers, stiffer clutch springs and torque spring, and a slightly longer belt is by far the cheapest way to gain speed. Nothing compared to a BBK though. You having the 4t means you're going to struggle to get into our famous 50mph club  ;D ;). It can be done though. Tell us a little more about what you've already done to the scoot and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:53:51 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

nc64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Peters..Thanks for the story. Wish I could say that I've done something to the scoot but it's still completely stock. I'm a newby at this and since I just moved and have a garage now, I figured I'd give myself a project for the winter and try and get a little bit more speed out my beloved S50. I'll probably go at it starting tomorrow and I'll be sure to post the pics of my CDI. I'm in Montreal...do you know of any parts shop in Quebec or Canada? Or online will do fine as well.

So...you guys will be my project guides for the next few months. Here we go.!!!

Thanks again

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
Have you changed out the variator boss yet? If not, that will be your first step. That is a major restriction. You stand to gain up to 10 mph just changing that. You'll have to order a derestricted one. Here is our favorite parts supplier here in the states http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=YAM#/Kymco_USA/BB10AA_People_S_50/Driven_Pulley/2K03050005/2K03050017

The boss is item 22105. I'd call and tell them you want a derestricted one. It will be all one diameter where the restricted one has a shoulder on it.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

nc64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
Nothing changed yet. Scoot is totally stock so anything/everything needs to be done. I will order the variator boss today. Should I go for a CDI as well or can I work with the one I have. I'll try to get some pics posted so you can check it out.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
I'd hold off on the CDI for now. Before you order the boss I'd go into the CVT and find out what's in there. Just to be sure.

One on left is what you want. Right is restricted.

*2001 ZX-50 beater

spidrgr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
I have a s50 4t. I also live near Montreal. My s50 had no restriction on the variator. It had a limiter on the CDI. My dealer, after a conversation with Kymco execs, did a procedure to remove the restrictor on the CDI. I changed the rollers for some that are 1 gr lighter than stock. Presently it will easily reach an indicated 68 kph, wether flat ground or even steep down hill. So, either it is still restricted or, revs are so high the valves are floating, Doesnt seem to harm the engine though, 3500 km on the odometer and no oil consumption whatsoever. I still find it somewhat lacking when going up hills, even moderate ones. I feel OK with top speed and flat ground acceleration, it keeps up easily with urban traffic, as long as ther is no hills to go up. The las thing I will try, is changing the jet to an .85 so I can let more air reach the engine. It just might give me the needed extra power ti better go up hills.

All in all, after 3 years of ownwrship, I find it is a very reliable little machine and it just goes on doing its job with no fuss, burning just a little fuel doing so. Great little machine to run small errands. Just keep changin the oil regularly and avoid letting the fuel getting stale during winter monyhs.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
I'd hold off on the CDI for now. Before you order the boss I'd go into the CVT and find out what's in there. Just to be sure.

One on left is what you want. Right is restricted.

Can anyone tell me the OD of both parts?? What I'm wondering is if the stepped one has the same OD as the unrestricted one on the left? Is the step the cause for the restriction?

I can easily chuck the restricted one up in my lathe and turn the step off, but I need to know if the OD of the one on the left is the size of the step or the rest of the part??

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
I blew up  the photo on my screen and measured the screen.. The body of both seems to be the same, and the step is ovesized.. That means I can just turn off the step.. :)

I love projects like this..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Yes. Just turn that to the rest Polishing it is highly recommended..

A few drops of motor oil is fine to get it started.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
Excellent!! Now to find time to tear it apart and get the part out.. Chucking it and turning it, and slapping on a nice finish is the easy part. :)

zero

• View Profile
How long is driving belt, if original is 729mm..... I use 743mm :)  that give me moor max. speed and fast acceleration :) I change varistor with KUSO (sorry my friend zombie :) )  this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KOSO-High-Performance-Variator-Set-with-Copper-Rollers-For-Most-Chinese-50cc-GY6-Scooter-Honda-Dio/729872463.html   I weight 89kg my max. speed is 70km/h. :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Използвайте Factory Bando колан. Той е най-добрият колан за мотора. # 23100-KEB7-C00 (номер на част KYMCO)

Може ли да се справят с SIP скутер магазин в Германия?
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/base/home.aspx

Или Racing Planet, също и в Германия?
http://www.racing-planet.de/

Отворете сметка скутер deasler, и тази цена ще бъде около 40% отстъпка. Всеки може да бъде скутер дилър през тях. просто се уверете, име на магазин / магазин. Нула Racing. 

Следващата най-добрата част да се използва е Malossi RED контрол пружина за съединителя. Това няма да се увеличи максималната скорост, но тя ще даде много по-бързо да излети, и изкачване на наклони.

След това 20 мм Carburater. Те са на Ebay ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20mm-Carburetor-Carb-GY6-Scooter-Wildfire-49cc-50cc-/190450336279?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item2c57b98217&vxp=mtr

Use a Factory Bando belt. It is the best belt for the bike. #23100-KEB7-C00 (kymco part number)

Can you deal with SIP scooter shop in Germany?
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/base/home.aspx

Or Racing Planet, also in Germany?
http://www.racing-planet.de/shop-sh-1.html?sessID=5434e3eb04653a6ecf87ba7d4ad83e93

Open a scooter deasler account, and the price will be approx 40% off. Anyone can be a scooter dealer thru them. just make a store/shop name. Zero Racing.

The next best part to use is a Malossi RED control spring for the clutch. It will not increase top speed but it will give much quicker take off, and hill climbing.

After that a 20mm Carburater. These are on Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20mm-Carburetor-Carb-GY6-Scooter-Wildfire-49cc-50cc-/190450336279?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item2c57b98217&vxp=mtr
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zero

• View Profile
zombie what happens with 20mm carburetor?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Можете да получите повече въздух и обем микс гориво в същото 14% съотношение? F
Това увеличава мощността. Вие може да достигне 45-50MPH с това съдържание на въглехидрати.
Тя болтове точно с нищо друго не е необходимо.

You get more air, and fuel mix volume at the same 14% A?F ratio
That increases power. You could reach 45-50MPH with this carb.
It bolts right on with nothing else needed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()