Author Topic: GT300i Re-Installation of factory integrated front turnsignals  (Read 6926 times)

complex

• View Profile
GT300i Re-Installation of factory integrated front turnsignals
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »
I removed the USA configuration's factory front turn signals and successfully reconnected the abandoned front signals that were meant to be integrated into the front cowling.  These sit directly above the front LED accent lighting.  It appears that our regulations force Kymco to install the current protruding turn-signals to meet regulations while they leave the light sockets (without bulbs) and original wiring (cut) in place.    One note, there is a trick to removing the black plugs that secure most of the fairing.  Push the pin in further and they will easily pop out.  You will need to purchase BMW Motorcycle Amber turn Signal Bulbs with a 150 degree pin offset (that was a pain to figure out).  Do not use standard turn signal bulbs as they  are too large to pass through the light sockets.  You will find the factory integrated signal harness cable has been cut and terminated under the black tape (seen in attached picture).  Re-connect that wire to the same color that you will re-snake from the original turn signals into the lower cowling.  Looks much cleaner when done.   It also allowed me to install the GIVI windshield (best I have found but needed to be cut down as I did)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:11:01 PM by complex »
2012 Kymco 300i
2012 Kymco Super 8 50T
2010 Honda Sh150i
1999 HD Fatboy/Heritage

complex

• View Profile
Re: GT300i Re-Installation of factory integrated front turnsignals
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
Additional Pictures
2012 Kymco 300i
2012 Kymco Super 8 50T
2010 Honda Sh150i
1999 HD Fatboy/Heritage

Scoota

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »
Nice job!!  Is there a specific part # for the BMW bulbs?  Approx. cost of those?

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »
Great job. I did the same thing to my people 150. I'm getting a 300GTI in the spring, and was wondering what year your's is. I hope the new ones have the wiring etc. in place like yours did.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

complex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
Mine is 2012.  I would imagine 2013 and beyond will be same.  It's  due to a turn-signal revision for USA scooters
2012 Kymco 300i
2012 Kymco Super 8 50T
2010 Honda Sh150i
1999 HD Fatboy/Heritage

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »
Tried to do this mod, but couldn't get the front plastic off. Took out all the screws on the rider's side of the leg shield, but couldn't not separate the plastics. Didn't want to force and break anything. Am I missing something?  Not sure where these black plugs that Complex mentions, unless they are the pair at the very top just under the handlebar cowling?

Any additional help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:35:55 AM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »
Alpha Beta Dog, Ran into the same problem. One of the few things I have let the dealer do. After they did it the service tech said it was more involved than what they estimated the cost to be but as it was winter and they were slow they kept to their estimated cost which was very cool on their part. Ultimate Cycle in Richmond VA :) Make sure you have the amber bulbs ready. BMW uses them and Motorcycle Superstore was clearing them out. I ended up ordering from somewhere in London! Definitely worth the hassles!

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
Good post!  I have a GIVI on my Like but I want one for the GT too.  Where did you order yours from? Did the 443A fit or did you have to trim around the head light?  How much did you cut off the top so it stands up to the higher speeds?   Thanks again.

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
Today I was successful in completing this worthwhile mod. In retrospect it was very easy once I figured out how to carefully pry apart the plastic body panels after removing all the screws and plastic plugs. Complex's photos made perfect sense once I had it apart to see what I was dealing with.  Thanks to Complex for the photos and the bulb part number which I picked up at the local BMW motorcycle dealer. All that was needed was to run two 18" jumper wires from where the USA add-on signals plug in. Only one wire on each side was needed since the ground wires are already intact. Boomshackalaka - it's finished!  This makes for such a cleaner look and frees up the bottom mount point for a Givi or Ermax windshield.

I also noticed that there is plenty of room under the front cowling to put in a Stebel compact 139 dB air horn in there. This is my next modification. The stock horn isn't bad, but these air horns REALLY get distracted drivers attention when you need it!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:30:01 PM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
Do you remember the part number of the BMW lights?  I am going to put a GIVI on mine too.  How much did you cut it down?  I cut the GIVI that is on my Kymco Like 2 inches.  That is perfect for that scoot but the GTi goes a BUNCH faster so I expect to have to cut that down more.  Thanks again.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »
This thread is what I want to do this winter.  If only the front cowl on the PS250 was as easy to get off as on the 300gti.  I was almost there this summer but quit after 16 screws and no end in sight. 

Has anyone done this to a PS250?

People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:21 AM »
I used the part numbers that Complex provided above, in the 4th post above. Local BMW parts  counter pulled out the correct bulbs first try. I did tell them to make sure they were amber color.

I'm currently running the Biondi windshield so no need to cut it down. In fact, I would like it to be a little taller. I've got the ErMax on order and am hoping it is a few inches taller.

Do you remember the part number of the BMW lights?  I am going to put a GIVI on mine too.  How much did you cut it down?  I cut the GIVI that is on my Kymco Like 2 inches.  That is perfect for that scoot but the GTi goes a BUNCH faster so I expect to have to cut that down more.  Thanks again.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
Hey it's been some time since posting this. How has the mod aged? Does everything work right still? Also how has your windshield aged. Just Gotta Scoot had that one break on him and warns everyone to avoid it.

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »
Hey it's been some time since posting this. How has the mod aged? Does everything work right still? Also how has your windshield aged. Just Gotta Scoot had that one break on him and warns everyone to avoid it.

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not, but my turn signal mod is working great. The integrated signals are used in the world market and is how the GTi was originally designed. The US spec stocks are an add-on.  The windshield that the Just Gotta Scoot author had crack on him was a tall Givi, not a Biondi.  I tried both the Biondi and the Emax and have settled on the Ermax with a MRA spoiler.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()