Author Topic: Anyone had this problem?  (Read 4717 times)

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone had this problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
I have never heard of this problem before on any site. It could just be a bad grease seal in the clutch assembley? Or over packed? If it happens again, I would insist they put in a whole new clutch/rear pulley assembley as something may be warped or not aligned?  :-*

What about this: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6940.0

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
That post does not address the grease problem? Only the honk noise.  :-*

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anyone had this problem?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
I think there cannot be any grease in clutch, it wont hold at all! Think How much grip you need when clutch start to move scooter. :o
It is dust from belt and pads. I have seen it and it is very hard to get off from hands.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »
There is grease inside the torque drive. And there are seals to keep it inside. So if the seals are bad, or if they will not seal tight because something was not machined right, then the entire clutch housing may need to be replaced? I hope it's under warranty? :-*

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
My dealer called me today and told me Kymco had approved the 2nd clutch replacement.  Once it arrives I will again have the entire clutch assembly replaced. 

From talking with the tech, it's a defective seal that allows the grease to migrate onto the clutch pads / discs.  Once that happens the clutch starts to slip.  That is manifested in the form of a resonance or groan as best as I can describe it.

The noise has been with the scoot essentialy, since I bought it.  Kymco approved the first replacement when I had about 6500 miles on it.  Within a week of replaceing it, the noise returned and sure enough, the clutch pads were impregnated with grease.  Now I have about 9500 miles on the scoot.

My biggest complaint is the noise.  But as was implied earlier in this post, it can't be a good thing (mechanically) to have a dry clutch system with grease soaked into it.  I'm sure it's generating some unwanted and unecessary heat.

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
Could it be two different issues? Sound and grease issue? Cause i have had noise problem but no grease in clutch. Have anyone else found grease in clutch and had this noise problem at the sametime?

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
I have never heard of grease on the clutch before? Ever? :-*

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »
Could it be two different issues? Sound and grease issue? Cause i have had noise problem but no grease in clutch. Have anyone else found grease in clutch and had this noise problem at the sametime?

From what I've seen, the noise and the grease are related.  On two occasions, the pads were cleaned up and the noise somewhat abated.  It came back within a few hundered miles along with the grease on the pads.

This problem seems to be related to the 2012 models.  My delaer told me he hasn't seen this on any other model years but these.  Apparently, Kymco agreed there were some bad clutch assemblies as they haven't balked on changing them out.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
From what I've seen, the noise and the grease are related.  On two occasions, the pads were cleaned up and the noise somewhat abated.  It came back within a few hundered miles along with the grease on the pads.

This problem seems to be related to the 2012 models.  My delaer told me he hasn't seen this on any other model years but these.  Apparently, Kymco agreed there were some bad clutch assemblies as they haven't balked on changing them out.

It's sometimes useful to determine whether there is a defect in an entire batch of bikes or whether the defect is more random. What was the manufacture date of your bike? It's found on a plaque on the lower undercarrriage on the left side of the bike near the centerstand.  Are you aware of Kymco changing out other assemblies than yours?  As the owner of a 2012 I have a keen interest in this issue.  Thanks in advance.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
I will have to check that out.

I was told by my dealer that they've replaced assemblies on a 2012 300GT and Downtown 300.  All were 2012 models.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()