Author Topic: Fed up with high rpm.  (Read 5243 times)

Spindrift

• View Profile
Fed up with high rpm.
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Someone give me advice on a nice combo of roller wheight and stronger contra spring. Have almost brand new dp sliders 29x22 30g but i'm not sure they will work wit my xc 500 2007. Yes I know they are one mm larger than stock. Does it REALLY matter? A variator isn't exactly a precision tool. They will lift the belt (in theory) 1mm higher.
I also noticed when the scooter gets hot the contra spring tends to get softer. Had same issue with another scooter from the same area.. bad quality.
Also think the engine are running lean.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Fed up with high rpm.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
Stronger contra spring will make it run at even higher revs, no?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
Look at your plug - if the engine is running lean the tip will appear to be white/brown and there may be some degradation. I am confident that there are reference charts to make comparisons.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

Spindrift

• View Profile
Re: Sv: Fed up with high rpm.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
Have been riding since i was 5 and racing from 12 so trust me, I know how a sparkplug should look like. Tnx for your link anyway. Could be helpful. To be accurate you have to ride it like you stole it and then remove the plug. It is a bit lean today but far from too lean. I was trying to find a combo that works, don't wanna invent the wheel again if someone did modify cvt with good result.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:20:24 AM »
It's easy to get to the carb with the bucket off, just loosen the mounts for the air box, the carb clamps fore and aft, and flip the carb over to get to the fuel bowl.

My stock main jet was 118, so after I mounted a Leo Vince exhaust, I had to put in a 125 jet, and left the stock 40 pilot jet alone. You could try  120, or even  122.

Pull off the variator and try those sliders, if they'll fit, they should work
Albuquerque, New Mexico

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Yes the Dr p's will work. They may lowwer the RPM's a tiny amount? Stay with the same size as stock on the rollers as they may get jammed up inside the variator. The only way to lowwer the RPM is to go with a more heavy roller weight. The rollers on the fuel injected x500's are 33 gram, 30 gram is stock for the 2007. This may or may not be to heavy for the carbed model? Let us know if you do this? I have been wondering about this also. I had 31 gram Dr P's in mine and the belt broke twice? It did lowwer RPM's by about 500 I would say? :-*

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
WOW. 118 to 125 with only an exhaust change. That sounds huge, but all modern bikes are set very lean at the factory. How does your plug look? I have a Leo and I know it is running a little lean, but performs fine. I think I may go to a 120, and after I put in a new DNA filter, I may need to go to a 122? What to do you think as the DNA is like a K&N & breaths much better? :-*

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
I was running hot and the exhaust was popping with the Leo, the header was all purple, so I went for the 125, and it cooled it down and smoothed it out. I don't have to lean on the throttle so much, and it doesn't have the mid range bog it had.

I'll check the plug and let you know.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Spindrift

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
I wanna buy an aftermarket exhaust but Don't want to spend $4-500. Want deep tone as well.

If so many have problems with Dr. Pulley sliders I'm not gonna install them.. Hard to believe that rollers/sliders can snap a belt. Must be the extra torque/faster acc. and this heavy bike + rider -passenger. Too weak!

Spindrift

• View Profile
Re: Sv: Re: Fed up with high rpm.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
Stronger contra spring will make it run at even higher revs, no?

Does give banance to heavier rollers. When you come to a hill and you feel the bike go slower, give a little gas to compensate but nothing hapens. Then the spring is a bit soft. With harder/stiffer spring you can hear the engin rev up a bit. And become more responsive. Remember, balancing a vario is t&e..

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
If so many have problems with Dr. Pulley sliders I'm not gonna install them.. Hard to believe that rollers/sliders can snap a belt. Must be the extra torque/faster acc. and this heavy bike + rider -passenger. Too weak!

I've got 13.000km on my 1st belt on the Downtown 300.
First 1000 or so were with stock setup, the next 7000 were with 10% lighter Dr Pulley sliders, and from 8000 or so till 13000 today
I've had the malossi multivar with 20gr weights and then 23gr dr pulley sliders.

The belt is showing almost no wear.

I went up from 5500 WOT revs to 6500, then 8000 and now 7500.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
How a roller or slider can break a belt is when they hang up or get jammed in the ramps. When this happen's the variator and rear clutch pulleys can be spinning at different speeds. Heat builds up very fast, belt sheads its self, or inner pulley half freezes up and locks onto boss and both spin. Not good. :-*

Spindrift

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
Never had a roller jammed. Have been driving like a complete #@$##* on my Nexus for two years and never a single issue. Miss that scooter btw. What you are saying is 100% bad luck.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
Someone give me advice on a nice combo of roller wheight and stronger contra spring. Have almost brand new dp sliders 29x22 30g but i'm not sure they will work wit my xc 500 2007. Yes I know they are one mm larger than stock. Does it REALLY matter? A variator isn't exactly a precision tool. They will lift the belt (in theory) 1mm higher.
I also noticed when the scooter gets hot the contra spring tends to get softer. Had same issue with another scooter from the same area.. bad quality.
Also think the engine are running lean.

The variator is an extremely precise tool, even 1 gram or ESPECIALLY 1mm will make a ton of difference. if you raised it 1mm dont you think that mm is taking the space of something else, like say a shim?
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()