Author Topic: Stuck Variator Nut - Help Please  (Read 5415 times)

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck Variator Nut - Help Please
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
Maybe this'll help -- it's how I do mine.  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3814.0

I used a var tool to try and break the nut loose. It broke off one of the two pin holders (yellow circled in your pic) when I hit it with the air wrench. After sitting for two days covered in liquid wrench it still won't move.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »
Think you may have to resort to cutting it off, unless you know someone with a garage who may have a torque wrench with more torque?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
The crank threads should be harder than the nut threads btw so if anything strips threads it ahould be the nut not the crank.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »
Well, sheesh, that's on there bad.  Maybe someone used locktight on it?  I guess, then, I agree with Streido, you might just have to cut it off.  Yeah a dremel with one of those thin carbon cut-off wheels cutting as much as possible -- then a cold chisel to crack it the rest of the way. 

That can get a little messy since you might have to dress up the crank threads afterward in which case gotta have a die and so on to do so.  Not to mention having to order new nut and washer. 

By the way, I found a hairline crack in my washer once.  Maybe I had been tightening to much previously.  Anyway I used it till a new one came in. 

Situations like this make me wonder how an experienced shop mechanic would proceed? ?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Experienced shop mechanics have Snap On impact wrenches

Of course, that would probably twist that cute little crank shaft right off  :D

Running the impact in forward and reverse over and over does work and it's worth a try.

You're likely gonna have to cut it off. Dremel then a cold chisel is a good idea. You don't want to cut all the way through, most of the way. Hammer and chisel the nut in the counter clockwise direction. The nut should either split or loosen up enough to spin off by hand.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
Maybe someone used locktight on it? 

I always use locktight on my variator and clutch nut, its a must to stop it working loose and coming off. Never had any probs getting them back off tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:25 AM »
The torque from the rotation of the engine won't let it back off.

Not saying it doesn't need to be tightened, but I don't think loctite is necessary. Of course the blue stuff won't hurt. Just don't use red! You may never get it off  :D
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »
The torque from the rotation of the engine won't let it back off.

Not saying it doesn't need to be tightened, but I don't think loctite is necessary. Of course the blue stuff won't hurt. Just don't use red! You may never get it off  :D

Well.............actually i fitted a new variator nut a month or so ago, went for a test ride, got 200yds and heard what i thought was a strimmer/bush-whacker. Scoot felt down on power, then i realised the noise was from my cvt! Pushed it home and looked inside fearing the worse but it was only the nut which had come loose. Was still on, just loose, so the outer variator had a wobble in it. So it does happen, thats prob why the locktight them at the factory.

I used to use the green stuff and even with that it always came off no probs with my torque wrench, now i use Blue just cos thats what i have. I always feel safer using it just in case  :o
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
Well... I guess it does happen

Didn't come all the way off though  ;)

It's just a good thing it didn't strip the splines on the crank when that happened
*2001 ZX-50 beater

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
it must have way to much LOCK tight on it. HEAT THAT BITCH UP.................................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()