Author Topic: Malossi torque spring colors and ratings  (Read 19904 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi torque spring colors and ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
Next time you have it apart take it and push it down on a set of bathroom scales and see what weight it reada when it is fully compressed. Do the same with the other one you have and you can then compare and see which needs most force/pressure on it to compress it. That will give you an idea which is the stiffest.
Cant be sure but i seem to remember my stock was just under 40kg, 1000rpm rated was maybe just over or around 40kg, and my 1500rpm was around 45/47kg, but i may be wrong, it was ages ago i did it. Sure it was around those figures tho, or at least the differences between them was round that.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:25 AM »
That is why I have them all in Malossi. I kept getting another one. The heavier springs are shorter because the thicker wire used. For ten bucks you may want to get the Malossi Torsion controller. It sort of gives a 1/2 step up in size from the preload.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »
I bought the yellow torsion controler with the green spring and installed it at the same time doing away with that metal stock one.....
Have yet to take it for a decent ride with the now current setup but still gonna try my lighter rollers too as I feel my rpms could stand to be a touch higher....

Full derestrict
Malossi multavar
Naraku sport clutch and bell
Red clutch  springs
Green torque spring
6 g rollers

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
I liked the 5.5g rollers myself, 5.1g's were good too but seemed to wear down very quickly for me. Im waiting for some new one arriving today, 5.3g and some new 5.5g's, and some new rollers shells so i can renew my 5.1's  :)

Once you get a good setup cvt its amazing the difference 0.2g-0.5g can make to your rpm while running.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
Cool yeah I have a set of 5gs and play on putting them in this afternoon.....
If it seems too light I will try mixing with my 6gs alternating of course for 5.5g.

She's getting there!!! Haha.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
Cool yeah I have a set of 5gs and play on putting them in this afternoon.....
If it seems too light I will try mixing with my 6gs alternating of course for 5.5g.

She's getting there!!! Haha.

If do like it at the 5.5g then remember to order a full set of actual 5.5g ones cos if you leave it mixed weights then the heavier ones will wear out before the lighter ones. Mixing is ok for tuning or for a short period tho.

Mine arrived today, Malossi 5.1g's other SIP 5.3g's and new set of Stage6 roller shells to renew some of my older flat rollers with. Never tried that before so will see how the shells work out.

Im running some 5.5g's this week since my 5.1's were going flat and i had lost top end. Plan on putting in the Malossi 5.1's and a brand new 18mm wide belt at the weekend tho  :)

Hoping the Malossi ones last longer without wearing down than my last set i got from SIP.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »
Cool did not know that about the different wearage if mixed....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:20 AM »
5.5 Malossi rollers lasted almost 2 years in the ZX with a 72cc kit, and Tech pipe. I've bought cheap rollers for tuning, and replaced them in 2 weeks. As for the shells I swap cores all the time. I have a bag FULL of different cores, and shells. Dr. Pulley are the only ones that don't swap cores easily. I have to dremel the material out of the way to replace cores in them.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
5.5 Malossi rollers lasted almost 2 years in the ZX with a 72cc kit, and Tech pipe. I've bought cheap rollers for tuning, and replaced them in 2 weeks. As for the shells I swap cores all the time. I have a bag FULL of different cores, and shells. Dr. Pulley are the only ones that don't swap cores easily. I have to dremel the material out of the way to replace cores in them.

Thats the thing, i have never bough no-name rollers but they dont seem to last morevthan a few months, 3-5 at most, then i get flat spots  ???

Variator looks fine, very minimal wear but nothing really much at all. I may end up buying a new variator in a few months if these Malossi rollers go flat too quickly. Will keep an eye on it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:22 AM »
 cheep ones dont last. bough a new veriator £17 of ebay the rolers already are flat after 2 month. new stage 6 ones on the way. hope these last longer and will get some of the shells too i thing if stredio has good results from them. will change the variator in a month or so
 the naraku nk900.20 seems a good choice.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
I have the malossi multavar and like it as do a lot of scooter people here...

An update on the spring still haven't changed rollers yet but took my scooter for
its normal run (5 miles each way) and cannot see any difference going from the white spring to the green spring.
Wishing I got the purple one now. Either that or it just doesn't make much difference on my scoot.....

Still slows to the same speeds on the same hills etc... No better but no worse either.

Might order the purple.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Told you Acrab, trial and error, normally lots of trials and lots of errors  :D

At least you have a benchmark to work from and a test route now.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »
Yep!  ;D

Still have the yellow hocca torque spring..... Might try it again now.

Always something  :P

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »
Well another update since the green spring didn't seem to change anything put the 5g rollers in
instead of the 6g rollers I have been using.... Honestly can't tell a difference. Gonna try the yellow torque spring next.

Honestly it's starting to seem like it's maxed out for the 50cc engine.

Already thinking about a bigger scooter. Have been looking at the piaggio fly 150 and buddy 170I.

Still love my little a50 just thinking aloud.  :P

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
Hows your belt? If its worn then it would seriously affect performance.

I ran 1g heavier rollers last week and i can tell you my rpms shifted down around 600-700rpm at least which totally slowed sown my acceleration and made my scoot un-ridable.

Its all about getting that balance of everything just right and dialed in nice. If one little thing is out of sync then it can throw everything else out and mess up a perfectly good set-up.  if 50mph is enough speed for you then you may consider buying a 72cc BBK to improve torque etc, if you need more then get a bigger scoot.

You must remember that its just a small 50cc 4 stroke so will never be a race bike so if you need much more speed etc it may be worth going up in size to 125cc. You just got to factor in all the extra expense and time to sit tests etc.s

For me its perfect for commuting to work and back since its all 30-40mph roads on my route so i have no need to go faster than 45-50mph. I got a Vespa 125cc to use for going longer distances and summer runs and tours etc but am def keeping the A50 for work and just tootling about town.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()