Author Topic: Weather related  (Read 3216 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Weather related
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
How much do you let the weather stop you from riding?

The weather by me has been "changable" the past few weeks and being I want to use my scoot for work I need the weather to hold up for about 9 hours without rain. I've not been lucky and only managed to bring my scoot 3 times in 2 weeks. The rest of this week looks much better and I may be able to ride her in the next 4 days.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Weather related
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:36:37 AM »
The weather doesnt bother me at all. I ride in the rain all the time. Just need to have the proper gear and attitude on the road. Rain gear is a permanent accessory in my scoot. We have 2 storms coming right now and lots of rain today. The more the rain, the more I need to ride the scoot, why? Because of heavy traffic during heavy rains... If I'm stuck in traffic in my car and I see all those scoots passing me, I get pissed..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
..i ride in rain whenever it comes...

..ridden in sleet numerous times and 3 inches of snow once..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:13:20 AM »
Seems like I have been riding in the rain everyday lately. Hope it ends before my trip. Always have rain gear on the bike.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
I ride 5 days/week, at least 48-50 weeks of the year.

Rain, wind, sleet or snow wont stop me. Ok the snow does but only if its real bad. If the roads are clear and open then i ride to work, the alternative is a 1-1.5hr bus journey (25-30mins on scoot).

Best investment i made was my US Army Parka, its great, tie it up round the legs and pull it over your thighs when you ride and i dont ecen really need waterproof trousers since the parka and legshield covers my legs.

Get some waterproofs and dont be a wimp  :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:06:37 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
Below -15°C the scoots are already harder to start. Below -20°C it's getting difficult.
Another handicap is a warm front raining on frozen ground, resulting in thick pure ice.
Usually the keyhole is frozen too, a convenient excuse to stay at home and watch interesting traffic news.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
My Honda scoot' has NEVER been wet.
My Kymco was ridden in the wet before I bought it but has not had any more than a very slight springle on it.
I hate rain...
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
I avoid the rain whenever possible. Never liked having my scooter sit in the rain, especially if I have to park, and I didn't bring a tarp.
My commute back home is ofter at night. Riding in the rain at night really cuts down on your visibility, not only for me, but for cars.
This means it's harder to seen in a rear/side-view mirror, especially if it's only one headlight seen; which can be confusing if they can't see
it's a motorcycle/scooter behind them or in an adjacent lane. Even though I have a visor on my helmet, it doesn't come with a windshield wiper,
so my vision is limited. Add that to the fact that moderate to heavy rain can often wash debris into roads, and intersections making for much
more dangerous road hazards and riding conditions. Having a cautious strategy for bad weather helps, but it's still more dangerous than usual.

Fortunately, my wife and I have a car. On rainy days, or if it's snowed and the roads haven't plowed, or if it's below freezing I take the car or
the hide-speed train into the city, depending on where I'm teaching that day.

Love scooting, but there are some circumstances where I walk away.

-Wolf

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
I don't think I would have a problem riding in bad weather, I do worry about the others I'd have to share the road with though. I'd be riding at night in a city and some points with bad street lighting and am concerned that I'd get hit by someone.

I do have the auto option so for now at least I'll error on the side of caution and take the car when it applies. In the mean time as a just in case I'll get a rain coat for the bike.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
We are in the same summer patterns here that Vivo gets. It may rain like heck for 1/2 hr, and then clear as ever... I run between the rain storms, and not in them.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »
I'll ride in dry weather.  The roads around here are bad, flooding is common, and there are some drivers around here that shouldn't be driving.  I don't mind the cold and will drive to about 20F.  I have been caught in the rain a couple of times, and haven't been overly worried, but try to avoid it.  I would not drive in the snow around here.  If I went down, I would definitely be run over by a cager.   ::)
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:47:35 AM »
That's why my airbox is stock. Open/exposed air filters won't work in the rain.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »
Open/exposed air filters won't work in the rain.

..sorry, sir..you are wrong there...

..been riding open for going on 5 years....

..several different scoots...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »
How much rain do you get there? We are hit by around 25 typhoons a year here. Rain=Floods. Last week I posted about a knee deep flood that I had to ride through. I had a modified older bike with exposed filter. Just did not work under very heavy rain. Water comes from all directions. When a car passes you , water is splashed all over you, I mean all over. How can you avoid water to enter your exposed air filter? 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »
..well, i'm NOT going to try riding in knee-deep floods.., that's just stupid.. however,i've ridden in some very heavy downpours, when there was no alternative..

..if i must be at work at 6am, and there's a storm in my road, well...there's just a storm, i gotta roll regardless...

..with my a50, i made a shroud that deflected tire spray..

..the position of my s9 filter is directly beneath and behind my left, size 13 steel-toe boot, as i ride with feet on pegs...

..no rain will stop me, to a CERTAIN EXTENT...     ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:32:05 AM by wordslinger »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()