Author Topic: Great little pony!  (Read 46053 times)

Paperkrain

• View Profile
Re: Great little pony!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
the oil they should put in is 5w50... hard to find from other company such as Repsol, castral or Mobil.
so if they are giving you 5w50 full synthetic stuff then its not too bad. changing your oil and oil filter is easy enough, just have to have the right tools, and the right oil filter. but 220 usd for that job is a ripoff. oil 2 liters and oil filter... wont go over 50 bucks.

I think that's what the dealership is using (Sydney, Australia). I've found a really nice bikeshop that sells my oil filter for $10 each, so I've ordered 2x for now :)

I've read the service manual regarding the oil change, doesn't seem difficult - similar to a car. If you need a free copy of the service manual it's here - Kymco Venox 250-250i EN - Someone was nice enough to upload a PDF into scribd.com, although it's missing a the last couple of chapters.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »
on this high reving venox engine, change every 6000km or every season. some say the oil can go over 10000km... dont risk it. oil filter every other change of oil. apart from that there is nothing much, spark plugs i have spare ones on the bike ready to go anytime... but they should last a great deal of time, more then 6000km i would say, plus they are not that expensive. Air filter are good for 2 years, no mater if you dont ride it a lot. best to always have a spare one as well.
use always full synthetic motor bike oil! and change cooling fluid every 2 years max. some people i know do it every season.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
I would change the coolant every year. Once the silicates in the coolant deteriorates, they solidify into a white-like substance that may affect your cooling system. Otherwise, use a coolant marked O.A.T. They last longer and contains no silicates.

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
 I totally agree with you Max about the service cost, but over here they've got you by the short & currlies. If you don't get the work done by "an authorized Kymco dealer" you don't have a leg to stand on if you need to claim something under warranty. I don't know how it works over your way. As I stated earlier, I'll be doing my own servicing when the two years is up, that's for sure. How old is your bike ? Is it still in the warranty period ?
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »

Awesome, thanks for letting me know it's not just my bike  ;D

About the oil, I wonder if I'm allowed to change the oil myself without voiding the warranty (only to put a better oil than the standard one at the dealership). I'll ask them :) From what I've heard from other motorists, there's nothing wrong with doing our own oil change within our bike's warranty.

Triple check, and let me know. I'm just going off the fine print in the owners service & warranty manual that you should have got with your bike. What the hell IS the "Trade Practices Act of 1974" anyway ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:19:54 AM by Hairy Bob »

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
My is way over the service 2 years... i got a 2007 show room bike last year for half the price of a new bike. so nothing applies. done everything together with a good mechanic and learned all the stuff there is to learn on this bike. of course i pay tuition fee when he does the job the 1st time. now i do the cleaning and changing just when it takes special tools such as a vacume gauge which i dont have i go to him. but still i pop by the garage every other day to say hi and see what else there is in the shop and learn from it. i pay for the pizza and drinks and i get back a lot of knowledge. you should give it a try!

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
My is way over the service 2 years... i got a 2007 show room bike last year for half the price of a new bike. so nothing applies. done everything together with a good mechanic and learned all the stuff there is to learn on this bike. of course i pay tuition fee when he does the job the 1st time. now i do the cleaning and changing just when it takes special tools such as a vacume gauge which i dont have i go to him. but still i pop by the garage every other day to say hi and see what else there is in the shop and learn from it. i pay for the pizza and drinks and i get back a lot of knowledge. you should give it a try!
That's a good way to do it Max. I've found another Kymco dealer that's actually a bit closer to where I live. He's the owner/mechanic, and he seems to be a very genuine down to earth guy. He's also been in the game for 37 years in same place and has a very good reputation in the area, so that's got to be a good thing. I'll see if I can sit in on the services if I buy him a few beers or something. That way I still get the dealer stamp on the service book. Maybe that business with my carbys was a bit of karma coming back on that other mob for ripping into me for the 1000klm service. Like you, I did think $220 was a bit over the top for a glorified oil change, but like I said, they've got you by the you know whats if you need a warranty claim. Anyway, keep on cruisin' fella ! Regards, Hairy Bob.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:06:20 AM by Hairy Bob »

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »
Wow !!!  Venox, the god of cruisin' has sent some good vibes my way gang. After a week of absolutely crap weather, here we are 7.30 Saturday morning, the sun's shining and a clear blue winter sky ... a perfect cruisin' day !  So time to saddle the pony up and gallop off into the wild blue yonder.
                             Keep on cruisin' and ride safe everyone.

Regards, Hairy Bob.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Ride on ... gang!!!  ;D

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Have yerself a really nice day Vivo !

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
"I tuned the carbs to run a little leaner since I'm at 5300 feet in elevation here in New Mexico, and I bought a 44 tooth rear sprocket to replace the stock 39 tooth. That should really give better torque in all gears, but right now top end is 70 miles an hour, which is fine, but the RPMs seem a little high."

Try a 40-42 tooth. Any good machine shop can cad/cut one for 100.-150.00 I've had quite a few cut in the past.

"The Harley dealer here in Albuquerque has free hot dogs and chips every Saturday, so I rode on over and parked with all the Hogs to see if anyone noticed anything unusual, but either they're all bored with motorcycles or didn't look close enough to suspect it was a 250."

They were all pointing and laughing behind your back...~
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
"I tuned the carbs to run a little leaner since I'm at 5300 feet in elevation here in New Mexico, and I bought a 44 tooth rear sprocket to replace the stock 39 tooth. That should really give better torque in all gears, but right now top end is 70 miles an hour, which is fine, but the RPMs seem a little high."

Try a 40-42 tooth. Any good machine shop can cad/cut one for 100.-150.00 I've had quite a few cut in the past.

"The Harley dealer here in Albuquerque has free hot dogs and chips every Saturday, so I rode on over and parked with all the Hogs to see if anyone noticed anything unusual, but either they're all bored with motorcycles or didn't look close enough to suspect it was a 250."

They were all pointing and laughing behind your back...~

::) Come on guys, we all know there's heaps better bikes on the road than Harleys !!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:45:12 AM by Hairy Bob »

Paperkrain

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »

::) Come on guys, we all know there's heaps better bikes on the road than Harleys !!!

Once I get my full licence in about 13 months, I'm going to most likely upgrade to a H.D NightRod ;D oh yeeeeeaahhh

On the other hand ...

Sydney's weather has been really bad :( and my service is tomorrow morning, I've only done 850km on my Venox.. Guess I'll be waking up a little early to make at least 950km on the Odometer

Here's a picture of Sydney's skies - 1700hrs looking East towards the City (can't see the city, but its behind the houses)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:01 PM »
Once I get my full licence in about 13 months, I'm going to most likely upgrade to a H.D NightRod ;D oh yeeeeeaahhh

On the other hand ...

Sydney's weather has been really bad :( and my service is tomorrow morning, I've only done 850km on my Venox.. Guess I'll be waking up a little early to make at least 950km on the Odometer

Here's a picture of Sydney's skies - 1700hrs looking East towards the City (can't see the city, but its behind the houses)

Good for you,,...... I can only afford this....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()