Author Topic: plug chop, advice on reading.  (Read 5200 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
plug chop, advice on reading.
« on: May 27, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »
Been having bother getting a type K&N filter to work on my Agility 50. Was on 82 main with my stock airbox and ran great, swapped out to an open filter but just cant get the jetting right so i will run as good, or as i hoped better.

So far i tried

88, wouldnt run well at all, too lean.
94, still seemed a little lean.
100, ran ok but not as good as stock, seemed little rich?
96, i got the result below which i think is pretty close but still off im sure cos it still runs better on my stock filter and 82 jet .
A little rich i thought?

I am still not great at reading plug chops so if anyone who knows better than me can advise that'd be great.

Had read that when the ring is higher up the insulator its too rich? Should be at the very bottom of it? Not sure if this is right or not tho?
Also not sure why its not a complete brown ring all the way round the insulator?

Its frustrating tryiny to dial this in and get a little better performance, cant even get the same performance as stock yet  :(

Beginning to think my little A50 just doesnt like free-flow filters at all no matter what jet i try ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
Re: plug chop, advice on reading.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
thats a plug looks like something is missing wears the small metal peice that hangs above it.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
thats a plug looks like something is missing wears the small metal peice that hangs above it.

I "chopped" the threads off to do the plug chop so i can see the insulator to read how it was running.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:25 AM »
It does look rich in color but the blind spot is clean so it's not too rich by any means. What pipe is on it? You may be at the flow limit of that.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
Just memorize this...

Plug Chop Poetry

“Plug Chop Plug Chop Plug Chop” I cry!
“Until you learn to feel me,
You’ll have to do it by eye.”

When it's dirty and black, it's got the sh**s,
You have too much gas you are running rich.

When its hot and white, but looks pretty clean,
You're 'bout to blow your sh** up; you're running lean.

----------

Why is there a white spot? Did you do the proper plug chop procedure?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:28:25 AM by Vivo »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
It does look rich in color but the blind spot is clean so it's not too rich by any means. What pipe is on it? You may be at the flow limit of that.

Its still the stock pipe on it. It def lacked the power and response i normally get using the stock airbox and 82 main jet so im thinking its close but not right.  :-\

Ran out of clean plugs so cant so anymore chops till i order some more. Just refitted the stock box and 82 jet again for now.

I really cant see me gaining any improvement in performance with this at all, it always feels worse no matter what jet i try in. The one aboce was almost as good as stock but unless it will give me a small gain then im staying stock. All i gives me at the moment is more noise which i dont really want :(

I did think maybe if i put more air in then i need more air out. My stock exaust will need replaced this yr so i tried drilling a few holes in the end to let more gases out, drilled thro at least 3 baffles inside too, but made no difference.

I really am at a loss and suspect i will be better off sticking to stock air filters. Just annoying cos Word swears by it and says it works well on his? Maybe a climate/altitude thing? Im not high up and normally its damp or theres moisture in the air.

Vivo, yes i did it as proper as i could. WOT for 2-3 miles once it was heated up, cut engine and pulled up, took out plug, cut it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »
Vivo, yes i did it as proper as i could. WOT for 2-3 miles once it was heated up, cut engine and pulled up, took out plug, cut it.

You used a new plug after the heat up?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
Yup. Brand new.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »
That mocha color is ok but its supposed to be a ring. Maybe going a bit richer will give you the ring.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
That mocha color is ok but its supposed to be a ring. Maybe going a bit richer will give you the ring.

Thats where my confusion lies, why is it not a complete ring?

Tbh im thinking its prob not worth wasting anymore of my time or money on it now, i dont see it giving me much if any gains at all even if its perfect.

I've tried 13 diff jets so far ranging from 88-120 and cant figure it out, every time my performance is worse than stock  ??? On flats its sometimes the same but on hills i lose anywhere from 3-10mph depending on the jet. Just feels like ive spent too long now on it and dont want to keep buying jets and plugs for chops so i may need to call it a day and forget about it for a while.

I assumed i would get a small but noticable gain in power with the open filter, seems like i dont tho and the noise is annoying too. Pretty embarrassing when you approach a bus stop and everyone turns to look at what monsterous machine is eating up the tarmac, only to tootle past at 30-40mph. My neighbours must hate my morning starts too when im going to work.  :-[

Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:23 PM »
I would have to agree that the OEM is better for you right now. When you get a new pipe that will all change.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »
I would have to agree that the OEM is better for you right now. When you get a new pipe that will all change.

Think your right. Need a new zorst by the end if the year anyway cos one that on now wont last much past summer/autumn. Will prob hang off and retry one i fit a Leo.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
You should not do a plug chop on a brand new plug. It wont tell you how youre really running, as you noticed incomplete ring. You should only change plugs after you swap jets, then ride on it for at least a hour, other wise your only seeing how your engine is running at WOT for a limited amount of time.
I would recommend buying a EGT gauge. A CHT is a good tool to have as well, but for instant A/F EGT is best.
Build an EGT for 30$

EGT Thermocouple K type for Exhaust Gas Temp Probe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGT-Thermocouple-K-type-for-Exhaust-Gas-Temp-Probe-/250787715391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a641cd93f

Digital DC Temperature Meter for K Type EGT Probe (F)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-Temperature-Meter-for-K-Type-EGT-Probe-F-/250842647144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67630a68

My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
You are the Man Love My... Guess what I just bought!

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
Itll take a little while to get to you, maybe 3 weeks minimum, but seriously worth the wait.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()