Author Topic: New here w/ my five day old like  (Read 5891 times)

bebo55

• View Profile
New here w/ my five day old like
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
What great news to see this forum.  I just got my new Like 200i LX from a dealer in Chiago, rented a truck and brought it home.  So I'm riding this bike around town, alternating between 30, 40 mph and punching the throttle now and then.  All it can muster is a speedo 50 mph.  Considering maybe old gas from the dealer, I ran it nearly empty, got new gas and see no increase in performance.  The dealer only put 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank - i'm sure it sloshed around on the bumpy-uhaul-fast 300 mile freeway ride home - but it's hard to imagine it pushing anything much into the vent line.. because it's not under any pressure like it would have been if gas was filled up to the neck.  So... it sounds nice at idle and up to 40 mph but punching it, it sounds like a really open 'whah' without much oomph behind it.  I feel sick.  I can't imagine ever getting to 60 mph so a good 10 mph low is tough to take at 195 lbs.  Have you guys seen anything similar... any thoughts?

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
Re: New here w/ my five day old like
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Grats on the new bike!  Make sure you run Premium 93 octane gas in it and also add some Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment to it if it is a 10% ethanol blend.  You can buy the Sta-Bil at most auto parts stores or Walmart. It is about $10 or less for a small bottle but only takes a tiny bit each tankful.  Use it every time you fill up.

Alternatively, you can use Seafoam if the Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment is not available in your area.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:01:54 PM by SonicSix »
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
THanks!  I've got 93 in it.  will definitely hit the additive.  I wonder if 10% ethanol at 93 octane is capable of causing the poor high-end performance?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:33:52 PM by bebo55 »

flier rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
Hello, I got my 200i last July in Indy. like you I was initially unimpressed with top end. I weigh 185# . After 1200 mi. it began to run a little better after break-in. It will top out a liitle over 60. I commute to work reg. on 40-45 mph roads. I do love the response and smoothness.  hope this helps. P.S. I added a windshield. :)

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
Thanks very much for your hopeful outlook.  I love this machine.  I feel like a boy with a new dog.  For changing the oil, the manual notes a side oil drain plug, while the Like 50/125 repair manual notes the bottom oil drain/screen.  My like 200i also has an identical bottom oil drain/screen.  Is there a preferred drain?
That's got to be a blast commuting with your Like.  I can't wait for my high-viz orange helmet to come in.  What windshield did you get?

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »
I drain the oil from the side plug as it is a "no mess" process.  You only have to make sure you don't drop the washer or the bolt.  From the bottom, you'll get your fingers covered with oil and you have to try to catch the cover, spring and screen. I drain from the side first, replace that then remove the bottom plug to check the screen.  I changed my engine and gear oil at 180 miles with dino oil and just did my 600 mile oil change and switched to full synthetic. I haven't had a chance to ride again since I did the 600 mile oil change 2 days ago.
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 03:26:05 AM »
Thanks! makes good sense.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 06:10:10 AM »
In a scoot, not only the engine needs breaking-in but the cvt system as well. There's great friction inside there like the belt, drive face, clutch, rollers, etc.  They are not even recommended to be ridden hard during the first few hundred miles. I weigh 185 lbs. and only have a 125cc (S8). 60mph top and 65 on a really flat road.

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
Thanks Vivo!  Maybe I've been a bit hard on it, Here she is, all drained, changed and rested.  What do you guys think about my safety color scheme options... I'm going for a neon switchback jacket and a Shuberth Hi-viz Orange helmet.  This CLASH will definitely be seen.  If anybody hits me, they are guaranteed a ticket!@! can't say "i didn't see him".  I'm so far favoring the obnoxious head on fire with neon jacket colors so I can be more confident in traffic.  Or maybe it might look better to get a white helmet to match the bike, or a hi-viz neon to match my jacket?  Are y'all being noticed well in traffic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:55:50 PM by bebo55 »

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
Hello, Nice looking scoot! I have one just "Like" it on order, just can't wait. By the way what color is the glove box door on your bike? I have seen them with blue or white doors. Thanx... Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
Thanks, the glove box is white.  It was delivered to the dealer in April so I think you'll get white when yours comes in.  I think the blue was a first take by kymco.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 03:04:43 AM »
Are y'all being noticed well in traffic.

LED strips are good. They are bright and consumes very little power. You can stick them anywhere and come in different colors. 

ckgonska

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
Bebo how is the breaking coming along.  Is the top end increasing?  I should be picking mine up tomorrow.

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
not well.  It's not increasing past 53 mph on a straight level new pavement - same as the day i got it only now have 1100 miles.  Here's what I think I did wrong:  The dealer told me he got up to 60 no problem, so I've been pounding this thing trying to get up to that, only to find out he was mistakenly talking about kilometers/hr.  :/ Although I changed the factory oil to a simple oil I used castrol GTX which i now hear was easy to glaze cylinders back in the '70s.  Not real significant I suppose but the real deal is I went on about 10 - 30 mile trips at 45 mph without stopping each trip, so the engine probably got pretty hot and may have glazed the cylinders.  I probably should have made it more intermittent.  Good thing though is I'm not burning oil so...

Moral to the story: Old school oil and don't get it too hot...

It would be interesting to see what most others are seeing with their Likes.

Congrats on the Delivery!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:09:30 PM by bebo55 »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 02:38:33 AM »
just ride and ride bebo.. you'll notice the difference in smoothness and speed several oil changes later...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()