Author Topic: CVT issue  (Read 4175 times)

mxu500-

• View Profile
CVT issue
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
I am gettin ready to replace my drive belt on my 07 mxu500  and also remove 2 of the weights...   I was wondering  do i need a  impact gun to remove the primary clutch or is there another way i can break the nut?     just need to  know if i should go buy an electric impact  for this one job or not...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:27:15 AM by mxu500- »

400racer

• View Profile
Re: Primary clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »
We used an air gun and an electic impact. Both will work just fine. Be sure you are using metric sockets made for impact guns. ;)
2008 4x4 lites factory KYMCO racer

2008 Sponsors: GBC Performance Tires, KYMCO ATVS

Mid-East and GNCC #614 racer

http://community.webshots.com/user/popo800efi
http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/canamracer614/Home.aspx
http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/riders/jordan-phillips.aspx

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:22:01 AM »
Hey mxu500-  (feel like I am addressing myself ;))

How many miles you got on that '07 500?

Is the belt worn or are you just going to replace it because you are in removing the weights?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:08:54 AM by MXU500_Red »
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
ITP Mud Lite XTR 26/9/12 - 26/11/12 on ITP Type 7 rims
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
EPI Clutch Kit (rollers/spring)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

mxu500-

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:13:48 AM »
Well i just went to a buddy's shop and we used the impact..    Put the new belt on  and  made no difference from the old belt.....   Reason for  replacing the belt was after describing my problem to someone who knows about the mxu500  thats what they suggested the problem sounded like....  i also took out the 2 roller weights  tonight when we changed the belt....

my 07 mxu500  has i believe a lil over 200 miles on it.

the bike takes so much throttle just to get it to move...
the motor runs fine but no matter what gear i am in lo/hi/r 4x4...  it's like the tranny or whatever it is isn't grabbing..  or  for example  put your manual transmission in 5th gear and try to take off   you need to use almost full throttle to just get it moving and i have to keep the throttle open just to try and hit 10 mph on it.   I am at a loss now i have no clue what could be wrong with it  especially with so little miles on it.

I am mxu300 on atv frontier for those wondering..

mxu500-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:17:02 AM »
i called my dealer about a month ago  explaing it to them what was going on and they said to bring it in and pay for the tech to check it out..  they said my bike only had a 6 month warranty on it...  there was never an additional or  any other kind of warranty offered to me when i bought it.... but i just looke at kymco's  website and it says there is a 1 year limited warranty  not sure what that includes...I bought it  the last week of june 07

tony_dt

• View Profile
Re: CVT issue
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:57:21 AM »
Has you or anyone else removed the secondary? Maybe changing springs or something?

Did you buy it new or was it used and previously registered? The warranty starts when the unit is registered and it has a year warranty.

mxu500-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:01:56 AM »
no we never took of the secondary ( thats the big one the belt rides on right ??  lol)  i mean if you are looking at it  there is 2  the primary where i pulled the weights from and then the second one..

it was bought brand new had 2 miles on it when i got it in the end of june 07..

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:56:01 AM »
Yes, the one with the clutches.

Is the belt the exact size of the one taken off? Is it making any different sounds than before the problem. Sorry for all the questions?

Ok, the unit does have a 1yr warranty. I would highly recommend taking it to the dealer. Now you should not have taken the weights out though. Not that it's a bad idea or anything, it's just you modified the unit and they may no look at that unfavorably when trying to cover it under warranty.

The dealer should have given you a copy of the warranty, I would ask them for a copy. The dealer may be a multiline and used to the 6 mo warranty offered by other brands, the rep you spoke with may not have been aware.

Anyhow, keep us apprised of your saga!

Tony

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()