Author Topic: Finally think i solved my abnormal belt wear issue......again. lol.  (Read 1919 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
For months now my belts have been wearing down way too quickly, usually breaking up on the suface or fraying at the inside edge. Its totally baffled me, ive been thro everything trying to narrow down the problem and thought at least twice that i had it licked, last diagnosis was my electric start bendix had been hittin the belt at top speed so i removed that. Didnt work tho, new belts still wore down ???

FINALLY now i think i solved it for good. I restrippped the rear pulley, clutch, torque drive again and gave it a good looking over and clean up. Noticed something i hadnt before, a couple of deep scratches on the inside rear pulley face, Eureka!! Thats been wearing down my belt as it slides up and down the pulley i bet? The scratches were rough to the touch so would def not be good for my belt as it rides up and down over it!

Sanded it all down smooth with a sander and refitted again, waiting on a new belt arriving so will see how it goes now. Hoping its finally fixed it cos im sick of buying belts every month :(

Point i learned from this? NEVER use a large screwdriver or any other object to wedge open the rear pulley when fitting on a new belt ::) Thats what did mine, taking short-cuts with screwdrivers cos i didnt want to take of the variator since i was in a rush.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
It's cool you figured it out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
It's cool you figured it out.

Fingers crossed  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
Then how would you hold the rear pulleys apart? :)
I usually pull them apart and stick somthing big in between, but i dont want to end up having to buy a new belt every month either, and i haven't got the strength to hold the pulley with my left hand while installing the belt with the right. Simply can't hold 30 kg compressed for more than some seconds with only the fingers of one hand. :p
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

woodcutter

• View Profile
press the belt while it's still on the front drive boss and it is gonna push rear pulleys apart

streido

• View Profile
Then how would you hold the rear pulleys apart?

Like Woodcutter said.  :)

I did always do it like WC said but at times when i didnt need into the variator but i did want into the clutch etc i cut corners and left the variator and belt on. Meant i had to pull open the pulleys by hand and wedge a large driver in to keep it open enough to give the belt the length to let me put the clutch assembley back on the shaft. From now on i wont be doing that, i'll just remove tha variator also and then pinch the belt in the middle of the cvt between the pulleys to pull it into the rear pulley and give me the slack i need.

I dare say that maybe a small wooden wedge would be ok to knock in to keep the pulleys apart but i wont put anything in there now, just in case. Have a look at the surface of your pulley next time you got it out, strip it totally down and apart and you will see if its been scraped or scored in the past like mine was. Unless your going thro belts like theyre going out of fashion tbe. i would guess you may be ok still.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• View Profile
press the belt while it's still on the front drive boss and it is gonna push rear pulleys apart

For some reason, that haven't worked on any of my agilities. it seems like there is too much friction for this, and it seems like the spring is too tight. Perhaps i lack some kind of technique for this? :D

Like Woodcutter said.  :)

I did always do it like WC said but at times when i didnt need into the variator but i did want into the clutch etc i cut corners and left the variator and belt on. Meant i had to pull open the pulleys by hand and wedge a large driver in to keep it open enough to give the belt the length to let me put the clutch assembley back on the shaft. From now on i wont be doing that, i'll just remove tha variator also and then pinch the belt in the middle of the cvt between the pulleys to pull it into the rear pulley and give me the slack i need.

I dare say that maybe a small wooden wedge would be ok to knock in to keep the pulleys apart but i wont put anything in there now, just in case. Have a look at the surface of your pulley next time you got it out, strip it totally down and apart and you will see if its been scraped or scored in the past like mine was. Unless your going thro belts like theyre going out of fashion tbe. i would guess you may be ok still.

Unfortunately, i haven't got the tools to take off the clutch. I simply cant find the clutchtool, and haven't got money for a compressor and compressor tools. :/

streido

• View Profile
I dont have a compressor etc, i just use a 12v torque wrench gun powered off a car battery charger, £25 for the gun, £10-£15 for the charger, £35-£40 all in and it has saved me that amount many times over in service costs and repair bills by doing it myself. Plus i get to see how it all goes together myself and learn more about how it actually works together. Books and videos are good but 1st hand experience of doing the job yourself is much better, if that kind of thing interests you. I just like to take things apart and see how they work  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

baddi

• View Profile
I dont have a compressor etc, i just use a 12v torque wrench gun powered off a car battery charger, £25 for the gun, £10-£15 for the charger, £35-£40 all in and it has saved me that amount many times over in service costs and repair bills by doing it myself. Plus i get to see how it all goes together myself and learn more about how it actually works together. Books and videos are good but 1st hand experience of doing the job yourself is much better, if that kind of thing interests you. I just like to take things apart and see how they work  :)

Yeah, i've got 1st hand experience from my first agility, which have been almost taken fully apart. :)
Some of my friends in elementary school had compression tools, but i dont really talk that much to them at the moment, so it would be odd to call them: "Hey bro, can i come by and use your tools?" :)

streido

• View Profile
Re: Finally think i solved my abnormal belt wear issue......again. lol.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
New belt in, new rollers in, hit 78kmh but was windy today.

Feels like the rollers are heavier than 5.1g, must be down to the shorter boss affecting the low speed gearing. Still got the 1000 torque in when i tried it earlier but have refitted my 1500rpm one tonight. Too late to test run so will wait till morning. Got to oil change and general tune up tomorrow anyway then dial in the open filter properly. Should be good to go after that  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »
..the guilty, really likes a 1500 torque spring...

..at least, mines do...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
Yup so does mine. I only swapped it to see if my belts would stop wearing after a week. They didnt.

Seems fine now, reckon (hope) that the pulley issue was the problem, think it was cos belt looks fine so far.

Back in now and seems all good.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()