Author Topic: Panic stations then, PHEW! that was close!  (Read 632 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Panic stations then, PHEW! that was close!
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
Phew, thought i'd bust something earlier, turns out im just stupid :)

Decided to shave down my boss length 1.2mm to 36.8mm long instead if the stock 38mm after reading Wordslingers post the other week with his new A50 he had. Saw he had shaved down the boss and sounded a good idea so i took one of mine into work today and lathed it down in the machine shop.

Put it all back together and went for a test run to see how it felt. Got onto the street and started going along, passed a neighbour who was gardening, heard his strimmer going and gave him a wave as i passed. Then i realised the strimmer noise was following me! In fact he had no strimmer, it was my scoot!!!! Pulled in and switched it off then pushed it the 200yds back home to check it.

Had visions of snapped belt bits all over the cvt or a cracked variator or worse. Turned out to be a loose variator nut, i had forgotten i had now shortened the boss so i needed a washer in behind the nut. When i had torqued it up it obviously had torqued onto the end of the thread, leaving a small mm gap ::)

Anyway i put in a washer to space it properly, retorqued and went back out.

Wow!!! This bitch is gonna "fly"

STILL waiting on my parts from SIP in Germany arriving, 7 days now, got a new belt and 5.1g rollers coming along with a few other things i needed. My belt i got in now is on its limit, 16.5mm, so my topend had been down to 70kmh. Now with same belt im back up to 77-78kmh :)

Expect with my new 17.7mm belt in the top end will hit 50+ again ;)

Felt a little tiny bit sluggish with the shorter boss, due to it starting in a slightly lower gear now but the 5.1g rollers will soon fix that. Going to try it with the belt and rollers 1st, leaving in my 1000rpm torque, then i can try the 1500 spring if i feel i need it.

Cant wait to ride to work tomorrow now, my A50 is getting back to being fun again :)

This weekends plans, if SIP finally deliver, new belt, new 5.1g rollers, then finally dial in my open filter/jetting correctly and im all set :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Panic stations then, PHEW! that was close!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
..sounds like you're right on track bro!!!

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Panic stations then, PHEW! that was close!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
..sounds like you're right on track bro!!!

:o

Yup!  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()