Author Topic: Initial impressions of People S 125  (Read 3123 times)

garthdanlor

• View Profile
Initial impressions of People S 125
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »
I picked up a new 2009 for a great deal about 2 weeks ago, and I have just finished my 300km service.  The service schedule looks to be fairly (overly?) intense, but it seems like it will be a fairly straightforward bike to maintain especially with great online resources such as this forum.  My previous two scooters (Honda 150 & 250 Elites) were amazingly reliable and problem free, and I'm hoping for more of the same with my new Kymco.

So far I am very impressed with the bike.  Having not driven a scooter for 6 years (or followed new scooter developments during that time) I was initially planning on getting a 150 Vespa, but when I first saw the People and various other big wheel scoots on the market I was instantly drawn to them with the hope of finding a more stable ride on our sometimes atrocious Southern Ontario roads.  Glad to say it has lived up to my expectations and has handled pot holes, train tracks, etc with ease.  I did initially think that the big wheels made the bike look a little awkward but the looks have definitely grown on me. Also on the plus side, I  have been quite pleased with the performance of the bike.  While I haven't went too much over 80KM/hr due to break-in, it accelerates well from stop and I feel It should easily do 100km which is all I was looking for.  

The negatives are quite minor so far.  I often find that the seat doesn't always lock the first time that I attempt to shut it.  On the other hand, the glove box doesn't always  pop open at my first (or second) attempt at unlocking.  i imagine that a little lube will help in both cases.

Looking forward to many years of riding on my Kymco scoot!

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: Initial impressions of People S 125
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:43 AM »
Enjoy your ride. I have a 08 with 30000 k on it. I replaced it with a DownTown 300i last year. I just had belt trouble on the DT and will be riding my faithful S 125 to work for a couple of week again. This is HiWay 50k each way so wide open all the way. I hope you have as good of luck with yours as I have had with mine. ;D
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

garthdanlor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »
Well it will probably take me about 6 years to put on that many kilometres racewalker, but I certainly hope to do so!

I have one more slight negative to add to my list so far.  While I've found the braking on the bike to be sufficient, I was expecting the front disk to give it a little more stopping power than it actually does.  What do other People owners think of the braking?

jomama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
After having an 08 since new all was good until last summer when the CDI unit went bad . 5000 miles on it.  Now its starting to get a little jerky when taking off so maybe its in the centrifical clutch unit. Also changing a rear tire is maddening . I will never buy one again. PS the S model has may parts especially electrical that are different that the 125 . 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()