Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 9140 times)

Coachz

• View Profile
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 12:14:14 AM »
I think its fixed!  Took the seat off and tightened the solonoid posts.  Seems to start every time now.  Thanks for the great help guys !!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:42 AM »
Cool.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »
Rock solid now.  Zoom zoom !

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
Mine started doing the same thing over the weekend. I could hear it charging, but the starter wouldn't rotate. Takes about 6 tries or so. I'll try the same fix this afternoon. As for everyone saying the warranty isn't transferable, that's not what Kymco told me. I bought a 2012 Like200i used in April with 2,000 miles on it, originally sold in October of 2011. I emailed and asked if the 2 year warranty is transferable and this is what they said...

"We, KYMCO USA, Inc., would be able to transfer any remaining manufacturer's warranty upon receipt of the VIN and the new owner's name, address & phone #.

If Extended Warranty was purchased by the original owner, that would need to be transferred with our partner, Cornerstone.  Contact information on this should be on the extended warranty contract, if applicable."

I've still got to send it to them and get in touch with my local shop.

Thanks for the info on the fix!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »
I would send those papers ASAP. Don't wait for a failure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bebo55

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 03:11:06 AM »
my brand new 200i sometimes delivers a single turn of the starter, only to stop.  Almost like it has a 'dead spot' on the armature of the starter motor.  Push it and it's normal on the second try.  weird.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
They are low torque motors. They can get stopped by the piston if their is ANY weak link. Corrosion on the terminals/loose connector/bad solenoid contacts.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
actually YES the warranties are transferable. Just email getinfo@kymcousa.com and ask about it. i just transferred mine with 1.5 years left on it.

FYI MFers

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »
Happened to me over the last two weekends.  Still under 300 miles.

Ignition set to ON.  Push the starter button, and just a single CLICK sound.  Tried a few more times, and same result.

Checked all the eletrical "connections" and everything is tight.  Checked the battery's resting voltage, and under a load -- and, voltage is > 12.6.

It's completely random, fires up on the first try, or after several single CLICK efforts.

Any ideas?  Starter relay?  Anyone tried to install a kick-starter (from the People S200?  Isn't it the same motor - just carbed, instead of FI)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
Just replace the solenoid.

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Does anyone know the solenoid connector that's compatible with the Like 200's wiring harness?

Is this a good replica?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Solenoid-GY6-Scooter-Moped-Go-Kart-50cc-150-/120841294097?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D511653467631371821%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Does anyone have a picture of the replacement solenoid?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »
The one you linked is just fine. Just hard wire it to yours. Don't worry about the plug. Unless you want to spend 40.00 more!

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 12:29:38 AM »
Thanks to all, for the notes on this forum.  Replaced the solenoid this week, and no more no-start / just an audible CLICK problem.

Purchased a new one from eBay, search for "scooter solenoid", the seller is "az1imports". 

The one they sell is a perfect match (ie. connector and size) to the OEM one installed on the Kymco Like 200i.  Only thing I did differently was used the OEM rubber encasing, and that seemed to be a better fit to the metal brackets on the frame.

One thing worth noting is that the wiring from eBay was shorter than the one that came with the scooter, and made the installation more challenging than it had to.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »
 :-* ;D

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 08:02:28 PM »
Check the minus or ground wire bolt on the starter it has no lock washer no lock tight or anything to keep it from loosening up. It is also too short for its application. It should be replaced with a bolt 1/4" longer if at all possible. If that bolt comes loss your scooter will not start. It is only in by a few threads so don't tighten it you will strip it out of the soft aluminum.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()