Author Topic: New scoot...lots of oil...need some advice  (Read 5388 times)

gilligan5000

• View Profile
New scoot...lots of oil...need some advice
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Hey guys.  I bought the wife a used Yager about a week ago (3800miles, pretty clean, pretty good price from a repo depot :) .  The PO was either really dumb, or was trying to sabotage the scoot because it got repo'ed from him. 

The oil light was on, so like a human with a brain in my head I read the manual and found out its just a milage based reminder to change the oil.  I said, "ahh what the hell, one quick spin around the block".  I put about 5 miles on it, and it got REALLY sluggish.  I immediately pulled into a gas staion, and decided to check the oil.  As soon as I removed the dipstick oil was spewing out.  I drained 32, no thats NOT a typo, 32 oz of EXTRA oil...just to get it to MAX on the dipstick.

I rode home, and immediately get a new filter, drained the old oil and put 900ml of mobile 1 in her.  She seems to be running fine now, but I want to know if there is anything else I should take apart and clean, or check up on?  I know my other scoots warn that the air filter can suck up oil if you overfill to that extreme...

Any help would be greatly apprecitated!  Thanks in advance.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Re: New scoot...lots of oil...need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
definitely check the air filter, overfilled oil will get in the filter. 

It is a good thing it is running well, was overfilled will also usually affect the sensors for the fuel injection system. 

Other thing to check, there is a crankcase breather drain, which permits you to drain water and oil that has condensed in the air cleaner.  Download the users manual and you can see it on page 42:

www.kymcousa.com/owners/onroad/Yager200i.pdf

then change the transmission fluid, page 50, don't know how long it has been since it has been changed.

Other than that, might want to go through it all, make sure bolts are tight, check the brake pads front and rear, verify the battery is still holding a good charge by checking it with a meter.

good luck with it

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Another thought, you might want to check the valves. I thought mine was running fine, I adjusted the valves found the intake at .0015 adjusted it to .004 and it made a difference in how it runs.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:52:47 AM »
With all that oil, it whipped up into foam when it was running. Along with problems the other motor heads here have suggested you watch for (all correct) keep ypur eye out for oil leaks caused by blown out oil seals.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:11 AM »
With all that oil, it whipped up into foam when it was running. Along with problems the other motor heads here have suggested you watch for (all correct) keep ypur eye out for oil leaks caused by blown out oil seals.

Too much oil will result to high oil pressure and will damage seals.  Also your engine will whip the oil and turn it into froth or foam.  Foam or bubbles cannot lubricate. go figure

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:33:51 AM »
..might want to open the cvt case cover...make sure there is no oil coming out around the crank bearing seal...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

gilligan5000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys.  It's kinda running like monkey chit at the moment...starting to knock, really bad under heavy acceleration.  I've never riden a "new" one, but compaired to my 125cc zuma this thing has a general lack of power.  I think I'm going to start with a plug as I assume it's pretty foul.

gilligan5000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Oh yeah...top speed is a whopping 49 mph.  Something is going on here and I have no idea what it is.

gilligan5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
Changed the spark plug and had no noticeable improvements. Took the thing apart again and noticed the air box snorkel was TOTALLY crushed...disconnected it and voila! Instant increase in power and a new top speed of an indicated 76mph!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »
You will want to repair that asap. You could lean out, and increase combustion temps to the melting point of your piston.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gilligan5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
You will want to repair that asap. You could lean out, and increase combustion temps to the melting point of your piston.

I'm sure the potential is there, but definitely not to that extreme.  The air is still only traveling through a 1.25" hole on the airbox, still traveling through a stock throttle body (~26mm), and the engine is water cooled.  Also, I'm positive the snorkel is only designed to be there to reduce the intake noise. 

This is just my opinion, and I do appreciate the concern...but I'll proceed at risk.

I really just wanted to document this incase anyone else has low power issues, low top speed, bogging at starts, etc.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
..the oem airbox is very restrictive, and if you run without it, it most likely will burn your piston, especially if you make long runs...

..you can however, increase the main jet size in your carburetor, and enjoy even more performance increase!...

...but then you will really need to add an aftermarket free-flow air filter..

..must filter intake air, to keep trash out of your carb...

peace

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
is it the snorkle between the the drive unit case and the air cleaner? mine was'nt connected upon inspection doing 2nd oil change. took out the storage box with seat and reconnected. i never noticed a difference but it was never restricted like being crushed. if it is that snorkle you won't hurt a thing. if its the one between the air box and the efi you will. your right about that one being for noise. that square hole in the bottom of the cvt case is where the yager actually breathes from. hard to hear intake from way down there.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:31:29 PM by retread »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:54:53 PM »
..yeah, that wont matter much, if its off..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »
that square hole in the bottom of the cvt case is where the yager actually breathes from

..really?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()