Author Topic: Windshield bolt spins, doesn't loosen  (Read 993 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Windshield bolt spins, doesn't loosen
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:18:17 AM »
I went to take off the Givi windshield to put the stock one back on for the warm weather months.  One of the bolts holding the windshield just turns round and round without loosening so I figure the nut underneath is spinning.  Of course there's no way to access that nut as it is meant to be permanently in place.  

Only thing I can think of is to cut or drill a hole in the side of the carrier (and there's hardly enough room to do so) to try and hold the nut.  Don't know if that will ruin the carrier or what.

Any advice please?  

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Windshield bolt spins, doesn't loosen
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
What I do in cases like these is to pry up the bolt/screw outward or insert a flat screwdriver under the head so that the nut underneath it will seat tight then slowly turn the bolt counter clockwise with the lever/screwdriver still under the bolt head.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
Yes like Vivo said, thats what I have done in the past. Works sometime and sometimes not. You could use an old fork so that you can pry it up from 2 sides also. Or if you have a grinder, you could make a small pickel fork like they use to take off tie rod ends and such. :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Thanks both of you.  ;)  Will try it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »
Get a COBALT drill bit, and a variable speed drill to drill out the bolt. I suggest a variable speed so you can drill slow enough to generate little to no heat.
Cobalt bits are harder/sharper than any others so they will make butter like work of even "stainless" fasteners.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()