Author Topic: Newbie Venox 250 Questions  (Read 1894 times)

Obsidian

• View Profile
Newbie Venox 250 Questions
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »
Hello from Harrisburg Oregon!

I am intrigued by a Kymco Venox 250 at a local dealer nearby in Eugene. It's 2005, 1200 miles. They are asking $2200. It's a consignment.

Is the claimed mpg of around 60 accurate?

Are there any maintenance/mechanical issues I should be aware of?

Ten miles of my one way commute would be on the interstate. Is the bike up to that? 65 - 70 mph realistic?

I started out on a yamaha majesty 400 scooter which I liked a lot, and regret selling. I got a Vulcan Mean Streak after that, which was really too much bike for me, so heavy and difficult to deal with at slow speeds & parking lot situations. I was always very nervous about laying it down it was so heavy. I never did, but had some close calls, one which pulled a muscle in my leg if I remember right. I sold it to raise some cash for a Dodge pickup. Anyway, I'd really like to get into a bike again. I'd like to rest the pickup in the summer and save some gas money while having fun on the commute.

I was looking for another large scooter, and just happened on the Venox 250. I'm really intrigued, and have been reading some very decent reviews.

Thanks for any answers & thoughts from you folks!
--

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Venox 250 Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
60 mpg yes it will on a regular basis and it depends how you ride too. 65-70miles yes it will. max speed i ever pulled on it with stock set up was 135km/h so around 80ish. i am 166cm and 60kgs.
Things to look out for are good oil, clean carbs, air filter will expire after 2 years because its a paper one so for you 2005 you should have one ready to replace. valves are set to conservative out of the factory so need to adjust those to get the most out of it, tall gears on 1st and 5th so have to use the clutch on 1st, bike will not idle pull you and if you want to use highway a lot might have to go with the sprocket modification but this depends how much your weight is. and most important why its being sold, crash or some other things.
i had a show room bike which had a few long standing problems such as the fuel valve leak(rubber stuff and long standing is not good) and old air filter. once i sorted those out it runs like a champ. valves were set to the right gap as well, the factory settings were off slightly. try to get the price down a bit never buy something second hand at a asking price. take a ride on it. work your way up from there.
All the best!

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
bike near to 4000km on the clock, last refill was calculated 3.7l/100km. do the math! just put in a fresh tank of good gas. feeling the power and the awesome sound again! Me mechanic friend said to me try 2 to 3L of 100 or 99 fuel. will do that after this tank runs out and report back, i asked him about the difference but he said that i will see for myself when i put it in.

yortJ

• View Profile
2009 Venox 250 with fouled spark plugs
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
I have a 2009 Venox 250 with less than 250 miles. The bike runs good for a couple of days then barely starts.
When I pull the plugs they are wet with gasoline. We have adjusted the carburetor and still the same results.
Once I put new plugs in it runs great for a couple of days then bogs out like it's flooded. Is this an on going problem with Venox's? Does anybody know how to fix it?
Thanks,
Jim

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
air filter is dead, change it and set back to stock. i find 1-2/3 turns out runs pretty good on a new air filter, but under that is a bit too lean. is 2009 still with carb? i thought its with injection already. but 1st thing change the air filter. it expires not only with use but also with age.
i had the same problem as you and when the air filter was bad the symptoms are: starting without choke, engine will run even if both idle mixture screws are fully closed, galloping idle, and carbon exhaust.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()